Spin Zone: Q3, 2017

Ollie

• Administrator

Name: 

Media/Outlet: 

Reason: (Ex. Why I Love Our Presidents) 

[Bullet points/brief outline of talking points during appearance.]

Name:  Senate Minority Leader Cliff Fleming (R-AL)

Media/Outlet:  CNN

Reason: Democrats Aren't Present and They Aren't Serious

• Americans have been hearing since January about how Republicans are blocking this and how partisanship has ruined that. Democrats are correct on the latter half, but the part they always leave out is that it's been Democratic partisanship that has ground everything to a halt. Paul Watford was rejected in a bipartisan fashion, their efforts to remove the filibuster was rejected in a bipartisan fashion, although I think it was a stunt you still saw a bipartisan effort to get this conversation moving on after Senate Democrats refused to give up. You take a look at the minimum wage bill, there was bipartisan support for my amendment that would've raised the minimum wage by almost 50% over what it is now, would've protected small businesses and ensured that businesses weren't trying to take advantage of honest Americans by employed undocumented workers. But Senate Democrats killed it because they didn't like the fact that Republicans stepped up to pitch in and get the job done. Now they've raised the bar even higher, to something even about half of their own caucus won't support, because they care less about raising your wages and more about getting your vote.
  • Look I'm not going to pretend that the Republican Party hasn't generated news, not all of it great, that we brought upon ourselves. But there was one thing going on during that that is a drastic departure from this Administration (in both iterations) and from the Senate Majority. We were showing up to work, we were present and we were trying to get things done. President de la Cruz, may God bring her health, was a silent President. Then Vice President Murphy seemed more inclined to drink beer in the Senate office buildings and Tweet like a teenager than he did trying to step up and get the other half of his ticket active and in front of the press.
  • And how do I know they're not serious? Look at what happened in England. One of this nation's longest and strongest allies was attacked by a cowardly radical Islamic terrorist. What was the President's response, beyond all the formalities? He said we needed to pass amnesty. He started railing off against liberal campaign talking points about tearing families apart and treating them like they were animals when nobody had said a word about that. It's telling that when the President was asked about how he wanted to secure our borders the only thing he could do is fall back on campaign talking points.

Name: Senator David J. Stewart

Media/Outlet: The Lead with Jake Tapper/CNN

Reason: Democrats and Immigration Policy

• "The Democratic party's border policies are nothing short of a disaster, contributing to violence and insecurity in our inner cities and suburban communities. Let me paint you a picture: Picture a mom, just like any of you, living in fear for the safety of her family. She hears about migrant violence and potential terrorism, and it keeps her up at night. She worries about her children walking to school, about going to the grocery store, about simply living her life without the constant threat of danger looming over her shoulder."
  • "Instead of addressing these legitimate concerns, what do the Democrats do? They turn a blind eye, spouting empty rhetoric about compassion and inclusivity while ignoring the very real consequences of their failed policies. They prioritize virtue signaling over the safety and security of American families, leaving us vulnerable to the chaos and turmoil they've unleashed."
  • "The President is trying to put the onus on Congress, but he has the power to protect the border. He has the resources. The laws are on the books for him to act. But instead, he's inactive, just like the rest of his party, on this issue. The President called for Congress to send him a border security package and then the Majority Leader of his own party ignores him and doesn't put a single border security bill on the floor."
  • "I encourage every American, just as our friends across the Atlantic are doing as we speak, to take to the streets and let's send a message loud and clear: enough is enough. We won't stand idly by as our communities are torn apart, as we're being invaded by 'God-knowns who' and potentially have let in an unknown number of threats from the Middle East. It's time to take back control and restore law and order at the Southern border."

Name: Kyle Van Horn
Media/Outlet: Tucker Carlson Tonight
Reason: Immigration 

•    Immigration is the most important issue of our time because our immigration policy will determine the future of our nation. 
•    First, we need better border security. If you don’t have a border, then you don’t have a country. We have to stop illegal immigrants, drug cartels, and possibly even terrorists from entering our country through our porous southern border and loopholes in our immigration system. That is why I introduced the EL CHAPO Act to use El Chapo’s $14 billion worth of ill-gotten gains to build a wall along our southern border. I also introduced the SAFE Act to require extreme vetting of refugees entering our country. 
•    Second, we need tighter enforcement of our immigration laws to deport illegal immigrants who are already here. That is why I introduced the Legal Workforce Act to require that all employers use the e-verify system. I also introduced the No Sanctuary for Criminal Aliens Act to defund sanctuary cities. Immigration enforcement is all-hands on deck. We can’t enforce our laws if greedy corporations and rogue localities aren’t cooperating. 
•    Third, we need to reform legal immigration. Tucker, there’s no reason why America needs to bring in over a million green cards a year. We can’t vet or assimilate that many people. That is why I introduced the RAISE Act to reduce the number of green cards issued in half and move our country to a merit-based immigration system. This bill cuts the refugee quota in half, ends chain migration, ends the diversity visa lottery, and implements a points-based system for new immigrants. 
•    The national and economic security of our country depends on how we handle immigration. Open borders and security loopholes threaten our physical security. Mass immigration – both legal and illegal – threatens our economic security by diluting the labor market and taking opportunities away from working-class Americans. 
•    Any type of amnesty is out of the question. Following the law is non-negotiable. We should be crafting immigration policies that benefit the American people, not foreign nationals who arrived here illegally. 

• Like 1

Name: Senator April Kelly (R-AL)

Media/Outlet: Good Morning America

Reason: Criticizing the Administration's policies on immigration and border security

• "Chuck, it's imperative that we address the serious consequences of the current administration's misguided immigration policies. Families in suburban communities are witnessing a surge in drug addictions and crime rates, directly linked to the influx of undocumented migrants across our border. This isn't fear-mongering; it's a reality that communities across America are facing every day. Many mothers I speak to are scared. They've watched in horror as kids are bombed to pieces at an innocent concert and they're seeing the rise of drug addictions and crime in their own neighborhoods and they're wondering who we've let in and whether or not it will happen to their child, their family."
  • "We cannot turn a blind eye to the very real threat of potential terrorists exploiting our porous borders. The lack of proper border security measures puts our national security at risk and jeopardizes the safety of every American. We must prioritize securing our borders to prevent any nefarious actors from slipping through undetected. But the administration has so far refused to do this, Chuck. The President passes the buck off to Diego Everhart and Diego Everhart demands that we give citizenship to the millions and millions of people who've already exploited our lax border security and broken the laws of our land. How is that acceptable, Chuck. We are in the midst of a present, ongoing security challenge and the Democrats want to play politics to win votes. It's really a great replacement, in many ways, to rewrite history and stack the vote, in my opinion. 'Let people in without proper vetting, give them citizenship, and they'll vote for us': that's the game being played right now, by the Democrats, with America's national security. It's obvious, Chuck."
  • "The president is sitting idly by watching this situation in Venezuela disintegrate before our eyes. Pretty soon, we'll be inundated with an invasion of migrants and refugees flooding through our border, who we are not well-equipped to handle, process, and certainly not give amnesty to. The notion of granting blanket amnesty to millions of undocumented migrants is reckless and irresponsible. It not only undermines the rule of law but also sends the wrong message to those who respect our laws and go through the proper channels to immigrate to this country. We cannot reward illegal behavior with amnesty; it sets a dangerous precedent and only serves to incentivize further illegal immigration. It's time for a common-sense border security law that prioritizes upholding the rule of law and protecting the safety and security of American citizens. Anything less is a disservice to the American people and a threat to our nation's sovereignty."

• Like 1

Name: Sen. Kimberly Atkins

Media/Outlet: Face The Nation

Reason: Border Crisis

• The stories of scared families in my home state of Arizona, terrorized by the ramping up of migrant crime and seeing what just happened in the U.K., echo in my ears as I speak with you today, it haunts me and everyone I know with their desperation and fear. The Democratic Senate and the Democratic president have turned a blind eye to the chaos unfolding at our border. They have been weak on border security, passing off responsibility and wasting precious time as threats compound around us. While innocent American families live in fear of violence and insecurity, Democrats sit idle, failing to take decisive action to protect our nation.
  • The people of Arizona, and indeed all Americans, feel the impending specter of terrorism looming over our heads on a daily basis. We cannot afford to ignore the very real threats posed by unchecked illegal immigration and porous borders. Yet the Democrats continue to prioritize political agendas over the safety and security of our citizens.
  • Democratic Party's failure to take decisive action to combat drug trafficking is nothing short of a betrayal of the American people. We know that drug cartels like El Chapo's have amassed vast fortunes through their illicit activities, yet Democrats refuse to seize these assets and use them to fund efforts to combat drug trafficking and addiction, even though there's a bill sitting in the Senate to do just that. They're protecting drug criminals and crime lords, allowing them to continue their reign of terror on our streets. It is a disgrace and a disservice to every hardworking American who deserves to live in a safe and secure environment. It's irresponsible and reckless.
  • As proud Americans, we must call on the Democratic Party to put aside partisan politics and join in the fight to secure our borders and protect our communities. The time for action is now. We cannot afford to wait any longer while our nation's security hangs in the balance. Let's step up and do what's right for the American people. This pandemic of insecurity is unacceptable.
  • Like 1

Name: Sen. John Carlsen

Media/Outlet:  The 700 Club with Pat Robertson

Reason:  Unborn Child Tax Credit

* Abortion is a divisive question with millions of Americans holding strong, sometimes fierce, convictions on the practice

* I have tried to find ways to give expectant mothers support so that abortion will not seem like the only option for, to give an example, economic anxieties

*That is why I joined with my friend and colleague Andrew Clarke to introduce the tax credit for unborn children act, which, thanks to my efforts, was incorporated into the bipartisan child care and protection act just passed by the Senate.  I am grateful to Rev. Franklin Graham for his support of my efforts, and to Majority Leader Everhardt for his help

*However, 25 Senators voted against the childcare bill including the unborn tax credit, and every single negative vote came from Republicans, including the Senate Minority Leader who says he is "pro-life."

*Even more astounding to me is that Senators Atkins and Kelly, who tried to take over the Senate Republican caucus, actually voted against my amendment!  Goodness, it is well and good for Kelly to parade her religiosity in the media, but in an issue of great importance to evangelicals and Catholics alike, she voted against life!

*Again, I know abortion is a divisive issue.  Certainly, I cannot claim to speak for most of my party in how to approach this issue.  But at least my Democratic colleagues will stand up and openly disagree with me.  They do not say they are pro-life and then vote against a pro-life measure!

*My task today is to encourage your viewers to make their views known on the unborn child tax credit and lobby the House of Representatives to pass it along with the Bipartisan Child Care Act.  House Republicans have a responsibility to their constituents to pass the bill.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Name: Senator Jim Cambridge from Iowa

Media/Outlet: Erin Burnett OutFront/CNN

Reason: Situation at the Border

"Immigration reform with pathways to citizenship is important, yes. Trust me, I want that. I represent, in large part, an agricultural industry that demands a continuous and well-rounded workforce. So I recognize the importance of immigration reform with pathways to citizenship. But it doesn't come close to the emergency at the border right now. We're dealing not only with a real crisis, but we can see threats coming our way and we're idling like sitting ducks waiting, bracing for impact. There's a crisis in Venezuela and the president has failed to act so far. We're going to be facing a real influx that we just aren't capable of staving off, unless we get to work on some emergency measures to stem the tidal wave of migrants about to hit us."

"Enhanced vetting of incoming migrants is essential to ensure that we are not allowing individuals with criminal intent or affiliations to enter our country unchecked. This means strengthening our screening processes and implementing thorough background checks to identify any potential security threats. The disaster of inaction as it relates to border security cannot be understated. Every day that we delay taking meaningful action, we put our communities at risk and strain our resources. We need a comprehensive approach to border security that includes increased manpower, improved technology, and better infrastructure to effectively deter illegal crossings and protect our borders."

"It's imperative that we address the root causes of migration, including poverty, violence, and instability in countries of origin. By investing in diplomatic efforts, economic development, and humanitarian assistance, we can help address these underlying issues and reduce the flow of migrants seeking entry into the United States. At the same time, we must enforce our immigration laws and hold accountable those who violate them. This means cracking down on human trafficking, drug smuggling, and other criminal activities that exploit vulnerable migrants and threaten the safety of our communities."

Edited by Seanny
  • Like 1

Name: Anney Iyal

Media/Outlet: CBS This Morning with Norah O' Donnell

Reason: Republicans: Lost and Divided

"Recently we have seen the Republicans trying to get a coherent message out to the media through bombardments of wave after wave of complaining but, behind that mask they are as divided as ever. For example the Republican Party despite voting for the confirmation of soon to be Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson. First we had the then majority leader say that he supports the Judge but then the rest of the party back stabbed him. Now we have seen the musical chairs of leaders as Republican after Republican try to create a narrative and try to steer politics when they cannot even steer themselves".

"Lately they have been going to the media talking about the border, badgering the airwaves, trying to turn their sinking midterm campaign around, but do they really care about solving problems for Americans? They have shot down many key initiatives that actually are going to help people. They shot down the minimum wage, they are trying to gut the Tsunami bill which would greatly help those of us living out on the West Coast. They tried to block the I5 bill calling it "handouts". I can go on and on and on... There are now blatant unapologetic racists in the Republican Party that are voting down funding of HBCU's even with the Minority leader coming out and saying that he fully supports them".

"We Democrats cannot trust the Republicans to work with us on any piece of legislation no matter how apparently bipartisan it may be. With Senators, Roy, Atkins and Cambridge being loose cannons on a daily basis and the Republican Party held together with duck tape and string, it is clear that they have no vision, no plan or no solution for America's problems. The Democrats are united behind President Murphy and we will continue to be here trying to make this country a better, more just place.

Name: Tony Johnson

Media/Outlet: The Lead with Jake Tapper on CNN

Reason: Border Security; El Chapo Act; Vet Bill Collecting Dust

"Well, Jake, the situation at our southern border is undeniably dire. As a former General, I understand the critical importance of border security in protecting our nation and its citizens. The surge of illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and violent crime poses a significant threat to the safety and security of our communities. It's clear that the current Democratic leadership, along with the President, has failed to effectively address this crisis. We need decisive action, and that includes the construction of a border wall. A physical barrier is a crucial component of any comprehensive border security strategy, and it's time we prioritize the safety of our citizens over political posturing."

"Jake, it's deeply concerning to see Diego Everhart and President Murphy fail to take decisive action on a bill that could significantly bolster our border security efforts. The proposal to seize El Chapo's assets and allocate them towards strengthening our border is a common-sense solution to a pressing problem. By allowing this bill to languish, the Democrats are not only failing to prioritize the safety and security of American citizens, but they are also effectively protecting drug traffickers and cartels who pose a grave threat to our nation."

"Jake, it's deeply disappointing to see the President fail to sign a veterans bill that passed with unanimous consent, as it languishes on the president's desk collecting dust. Our veterans have selflessly served our nation, risking their lives to protect our freedoms, and they deserve our unwavering support and gratitude. By refusing to sign this bill, the President is sending a troubling message about his commitment to our veterans and their well-being. It's unacceptable that our veterans are burdened with debt from the VA, especially when they have sacrificed so much for our country. This bill would have provided much-needed relief to those who have served, easing their financial burdens and ensuring they receive the support and care they deserve. I urge the President to speed things up and prioritize the needs of our veterans above all else. Our servicemen and women have sacrificed for us, and it's time we honor their commitment and sacrifice by ensuring they have access to the resources and support they need to thrive after their service. Anything less is a disservice to those who have bravely served our nation."

Name: Andrew Clarke (D-MO)

Media/Outlet: Fox News

Topic: Investing in Tomorrow's Workforce Act Passage & Apprenticeships and Jobs Training Act in Senate

• College isn't right for everyone. For years now, our country has made the mistake of telling every kid from kindergarten to senior year of high school that college was the only path, or at least the only likely path, to a solid middle-class or upper-class life. That wasn't true, and it isn't true, but as a result, the demand and cost of college nationwide is out of control. We need to prioritize other paths for people for whom college is not the answer.
  • At the same time, we are facing challenges to traditional jobs threatened by increasing automation and artificial intelligence. We have seen the devastating effects that automation can have on communities when jobs just disappear and the rug is pulled out from under working families.
  • That's why Senate Democrats have led the charge to protect and expand opportunity for working Americans. Earlier this year, we passed my Investing in Tomorrow's Workforce Act, aimed at addressing the threat that automation presents to jobs that support working class people that can't just move to San Francisco and learn to code. We can prepare ourselves and our workers for the future so that, when it gets here, we won't get caught flat-footed, and we won't see communities hollowed out even further.
  • We are also very close to passing the Apprenticeships and Jobs Training Act of 2017 through the Senate. This bill aims to expand opportunity for jobs training beyond a commitment to a four-year degree at an expensive college. By expanding access to apprenticeships, folks can pick up specialized skills and contribute to good, meaningful labor that pays well and can support a family. They can fulfill the American Dream and satisfy the demand for countless jobs that require more training after high school but don't exactly require people to come up with tens of thousands of dollars out of nowhere to attend college for a few years.
  • If college isn't right for you, we believe you should absolutely have the option to pursue the American Dream through another path. And at the same time, we'll make sure that workers aren't displaced in a few years when they should be settling down, succeeding in their careers, and forming families.
  • Like 1

Name: Andrew Clarke (D-MO)

Media/Outlet: MSNBC

Topic: Affordable Drugs and Healthcare

• The way our healthcare system is structured is still unfair to consumers, especially those who are chronic sufferers or are a part of marginalized communities. For instance, there are many anti-competitive practices that big pharma companies engage in to drive up the prices for their products, even if they are life-saving products that people can't afford because of the high costs. One way they do this is to use their legal and capital power to prevent or delay the introduction of generic versions of their drugs to the markets. We've all seen how much cheaper generic products can be on the shelves than their name brand counterparts--often, despite being the same quality-wise.
  • Senate Democrats led on this by passing my bill to ban such practices. It is now on the President's desk, and I fully expect him to sign it. We believe in free and fair markets; we stand up for the 'little guy' when we put a stop to unfair, dishonest business practices that, in this case, are likely costing lives. That's what our party is about.
  • Right now, House Republicans are sitting on a bill that overwhelmingly passed the Senate with bipartisan support; that bill would allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices to lower costs for the government and consumers, giving a fair price to everyone so no one is being screwed over. I mean, when you look at the price of insulin and absolute ghouls like Martin Shkreli, it is hard to argue that this isn't necessary. But House Republicans still refuse to act. The people have spoken, and the overwhelming margin it received in the Senate should be proof at where the momentum is. They must pass it so we can get it to the President's Desk and get it signed into law.
  • Like 1

Name: Senator David J. Stewart

Media/Outlet: Tucker Carlson//Fox

Reason: GOP Unity on Immigration, Working Class Tax Credit

• "Tucker, the working class backbone of America is crying out for relief, and we should not be pandering to liberal elites. It's time that Republicans put the power back into the hands of hardworking Americans, and not be worried with what President Murphy will or won't sign into law. If the President is bold enough to reject a $5,000 tax credit to every man and woman who is working in the trades, we should call his bluff. We should not have a Republican leadership or our most influential Republican Study Caucus capitulating to the Democrats and worrying about what's 'passable', we should be worrying about what's right for the working men and women of our country. This proposal I've put forward advances a tax credit that rewards sweat and toil, not just degrees. Let's show where our true allegiance lies and stick it out for every working class person in all of the small towns throughout America doing the lord's work and their duty to their families and their country."
  • "The border crisis is not a matter to be taken lightly. We must remain steadfast and resolute in our commitment to securing our borders and protecting our nation from external threats. Unity is our strength, and only by standing together can we tackle this pressing issue head-on. That means being unified on a border wall along closer to a thousand miles of the Southern border. It means being strong and putting a cap on the number of asylum-seekers we allow in. It means more than $20 billion in security aid to our Border Patrol to hire 15,000 or more border agents. And it means no agreement on the border that includes any form of amnesty. This is not about immigration reform in its totality, it's about addressing an emergency crisis. We don't have time to negotiate all of the intricate and complex ways we need to fix the legal system. We have to address what's coming at us head-on. We, as Republicans, cannot allow the Democrats to stick a band-aid on this problem and call it a win, when simply taking drug traffickers money and repurposing it won't solve the security, and terrorist, threats that we face."

Name:  Senate Minority Leader Cliff Fleming (R-AL)

Media/Outlet:  CNN

Reason: Introduction of New Immigration Reform Bill

• "The 'Immigration Security and American Job Protection Act of 2017' brings critical improvements to our immigration system. We're introducing stringent vetting procedures for individuals from high-risk areas, ensuring our nation's safety by allowing only thoroughly vetted individuals to enter the United States, it's beyond time that we put an end to the idea that the door is open and you're welcome to make yourselves at home."
  • "This bill safeguards American labor by enforcing the use of E-Verify nationwide, confirming that all workers in our country are legally authorized to work. It's about protecting American jobs and ensuring fair labor practices across the board, but it also recognizes the importance of ensuring that some of America's most important sectors with seasonal labor forces are not unduly harmed by one-size-fits-all big government practices that Democrats like to push onto the American farmer."
  •  "The temporary travel ban is not about exclusion, but about securing our borders and taking the time necessary to enhance our vetting processes. During these 180 days, we're not just pausing—we're actively working to implement more robust security measures that ensure we can effectively screen and prevent potential threats from entering the United States. It's about making sure that when we welcome someone into our country, we're fully confident that they're here for the right reasons."
  • "Our current asylum system is overwhelmed and inefficient, which fails those genuinely seeking refuge and safety. By establishing regional processing centers, we aim to streamline the process, reduce lengthy backlogs, and provide asylum seekers with a fair and expedited review of their cases. These centers will be equipped with the necessary resources to conduct thorough screenings and interviews, ensuring that our humanitarian obligations are met without compromising national security. You take a look at what's happening down in Venezuela, what is this Administration going to do when hordes of "refugees" and "asylum seekers" come flooding to our borders? What about the people that want to come here from Africa, which is ravaged by terrorism about as bad as the US and Europe? What's the President's plan for them? More amnesty?"

Name: Jason Roy

Media/Outlet: Hannity

Reason: Immigration

"Look, we have a big problem at the border. It's a total disaster. We have people just pouring in, okay? And a lot of these people - who knows who they are? They could be criminals, they could be terrorists, they could be anything. We have no idea because there's no vetting, there's no nothing. With the recent terrorist attacks...that could be us? We have an emergency and the Democrats are dragging their feet and the president is ignoring the problem and trying to bargain America's safety and livelihoods in order to secure amnesty for the many criminal migrants already here. It's shameful!"

"This new border package that everyone in the party chipped in and are unifying around, it's addressing our border crisis; addressing the emergency we're facing at this time. We're building the wall, first of all. A big, beautiful wall across the entire Southern border. And we're also putting in place the toughest, strongest vetting procedures you've ever seen. We're going to make sure that anybody who wants to come into our great country is thoroughly vetted. We're talking extreme vetting, okay? The likes of which nobody has ever seen before. We're not allowing any terrorists in from the likes of Nigeria or the Middle East. If you're coming from a place wrecked with terrorism and violence, we're not letting you in. How can we trust that you're not a terrorist yourself? How do we know you're not coming to radicalize and spread extremism? We just cannot let it happen, Sean. American citizens have the right to know who is coming into this county and we deserve to know that our government is protecting us from foreign threats, terrorists, and drug-pushers and who-name-it, coming through."

"There are a lot of bad hombres from all over the world out there who want to do us harm. They don't come from the kind of stable country we have. They come from broken down, violent and sub-standard governments and countries. They want to come over here and threaten our way of life. And we can't let them in, it's as simple as that. We have to be smart, we have to be vigilant. So we're keeping the bad ones out and we're letting the good ones in. But the good ones, they're going to come in legally. They're going to go through the process, they're going to wait in line. We're a nation of laws and we're going to enforce those laws, believe me. If I have anything to say about it, we're going to enforce our laws."

Name: Andrew Clarke (D-MO)

Media/Outlet: CNN

Topic: Apprenticeships and Jobs Training Act in Senate

• Democrats continue our tradition of being the party of the working class by pushing legislation that will expand opportunity for folks looking for jobs without a college education. 
  • College isn’t right for everyone. There are also millions of jobs that require a little more training and education after high school but don’t require four or more years in full-time school. We are working to expand opportunity by better connecting those jobs and the people who can fill them. These are good jobs that will support millions of young families in communities from the country to the city. 
  • Don’t believe the narrative from proven liars like Senator Stewart and Roy. The fact is that they are not fighting for the working class. The amendment they proposed was an enormous giveaway to wealthy oil executives. Don’t get me wrong—I believe in harnessing all of America’s energy sources to benefit our people. But don’t tell me that to do it, we have to provide further massive subsidies to corporations as if they need more incentive to get oil out of the ground. Don’t tell me that we have to play favorites with specific jobs instead of cutting taxes for all working folks. Don’t tell me we have to be irresponsible with our budgeting or that we have to run interference on good bills simply because they aren’t “perfect” to fight for working people. That’s what they’re saying; they’d rather that nothing pass so that they can blame whoever they think is in their way—Democrat or Republican. 
  • The bottom line is that from the Investing in Tomorrow’s Workforce Act to our efforts to raise the minimum wage to this new bill to expand working opportunities for those who choose a different route than college, we are still the party who believes in raising up middle America. 

Name: Andrew Clarke (D-MO)

Media/Outlet: CNN

Topic: Prescription Drug Price Negotiation 

• Martin Shkreli is heading to prison, but believe it or not, it isn’t for the despicable price gouging he engaged in, sucking desperate families dry like a leech for a drug that was previously sold by just a few bucks. But the lessons we learned from his greed and the continued greed of Big Pharma can't be ignored. 
  • Big Pharma jacks up the price of insulin just to pad their bottom lines—even though it’s required part of daily life for millions of Americans. They can’t just choose to not have it. They also flooded communities across the country with opiates, committing at best gross negligence and irresponsibility in the pursuit of profit. 
  • Senate Democrats previously passed the Medicare Prescription Drug Price Negotiation Act, requiring Medicare to negotiate with drug manufacturers on behalf of all Medicare beneficiaries on the cost of Part D-covered drugs. This is an enormous step towards accountability and fairness in the pharmaceutical industry. We sent a message—we won’t tolerate gouging the people for all they’re worth anymore. Unfortunately, House Republicans have just sat on the bill. 
  • We have a similar amendment now, after cooperation between Democrats and Senator Van Horn of Kentucky. This language establishes a Medical Affordability Commission to do similar negotiation from within the FDA. It also works to mandate greater price transparency in the medical system, something all Americans will benefit from. I’m hopeful that this will pass the Senate, and I know that if it gets to the President, he will sign it into law. But the question remains: even with some support among Senate Republicans, will it be blocked in the House, just like last time?

Name: Senator Camilo deSonido (D-CA)

Media/Outlet: Anderson Cooper/CNN

Reason: Minimum Wage/National March

• First, we must address the misconception that a fair wage destroys jobs. History and credible studies tell us that when we lift the wage floor, we lift the economy. Workers who earn more, spend more, feeding their earnings back into the community and fostering job creation. This is not merely an economic formula; it is a moral commitment. Poverty wages kill dreams and create desperation, and that's the true danger to our economy. We are committed to ensuring that no worker is left behind, understanding that an economy that works for everyone is the strongest economy possible.
  • The concerns about inflation are real, but they do not outweigh the moral imperative to ensure that all work is justly compensated. Implementing this wage increase will be done thoughtfully, phased in to allow businesses, especially small ones, to adapt without undue hardship. We will couple this with supports for small businesses and targeted interventions to stabilize prices. Our approach is holistic, ensuring that the increase in the minimum wage boosts the standard of living without disproportionate inflationary impacts.
  • While it is true that the cost of living varies across our nation, so too does poverty. A federal minimum wage of $15 is a floor, not a ceiling. States and cities can - and should - adjust higher based on their economic conditions. This federal increase sets a baseline of dignity and survival. It’s about ensuring that no American, no matter where they live, is paid a wage that leaves them in poverty. Our policy is a call to the basic decency that every worker, in every part of America, deserves a living wage.
  • The path through a divided Congress is undoubtedly challenging, but justice has always required struggle. My strategy is to appeal not only to the economic sensibility of our lawmakers but also to the moral compass that guides our nation. I believe in the power of moral suasion, the power of the movement we are building. This is about more than politics; it is about who we are as a nation. We will bring this issue to the forefront of the national conscience, and I trust that our lawmakers will see that supporting a living wage is not only right but necessary for the health and future of our nation.
  • I would say to America tonight that brothers and sisters - our time to act is now. This Labor Day, we will come together in a monumental show of unity and determination. I am proud to announce that I am leading a march on our nation's capital for a living wage, and I invite every one of you to join us, either in Washington or at your own state capitol. We are coordinating with organizers across the country to ensure that these marches are powerful, peaceful, and poignant. Our aim is to gather workers, activists, and allies to stand together, to march together, and to raise our voices together in a resolute call for justice. This Labor Day, let us make our mandate clear: a living wage is not a privilege - it is a right. I urge all of you, my fellow Americans, to join us in this peaceful demonstration. Whether you're in the bustling streets of New York, the historic avenues of Atlanta, or the scenic routes of Sacramento, your presence is vital. We need you in Columbia, in Austin, in Nashville and Frankfurt. Together, we will send a message that cannot be ignored. Together, we will show that our commitment to economic justice and a fair wage is unbreakable. Let us march on our capitols with hope and determination. Let this Labor Day be remembered as the day we stood as one nation, united in our pursuit of a dignified life for every worker. Bring your signs, bring your voices, and most importantly, bring your spirit of peace and solidarity. See you on Labor Day. Let's walk together, let's demand together, and let's achieve justice together.

Posted (edited)

Name: John Carlsen (D-IN)

Media/Outlet:  Meet the Press (NBC)

Topic:  Immigration and Border Security

• I believe that any long-term solution to immigration and border security has to include protection for the DREAMERs ... those brought to this country as minors.  But permanent residency does not equal citizenship.  I would be very cautious in providing a path to citizenship wholesale.  But I would not rule it out for everyone in their situation.  We need a careful and comprehensive plan for their status.  
  • In the long-term, I would not rule out reforms to immigration laws for a greater emphasis on "merit-based" immigration.
  • But looking to the long-term does not mean we should neglect the here and now.  We need improved border security and to hold criminals accountable.  Members of both parties support the El Chapo Act, for instance.  The Senate needs to take this up as soon as possible.  And some investment in better technology to protect the border, strengthen fencing, extending the border wall, hiring more ICE personnel, more immigration courts and "accommodations" for those who cross over illegally are vitally important.
  • One thing I cannot support is a blanket ban on immigration from any specific country.  Of course we need stringent vetting, and that would apply more in some cases than others.  We are right to more carefully examine people coming from a country like Afghanistan than from Japan.  But a blanket ban?  I just see that as nativist tub-thumping.  
  • I call on the leadership of both parties: from the President to the Congressional Leaders, to come together and advance a security package right now, while discussing longer-term solutions to fix our shaky border and immigration situation.  In other words, stop demanding something that is a red line for the other side.  
Edited by John E

Name: Heather James

Media/Outlet: The NPR Politics Podcast

Reason: Reflecting on Senate session so far

• "The Senate's just voted to confirm President Murphy's final nominee. This has been a perhaps unnecessarily drawn out process but ultimately, we got it done, showed both determination and flexibility, and now hopefully we can move on. The standout confirmation this session was of course Justice Jackson, though. The first African American woman on the Supreme Court, and with bipartisan support. I also want to mention Judge Watford, who was treated pretty abysmally throughout this whole mess, and whom I'd dearly love to see take up a place on the Court he deserves to sit on."
  • "The Senate has been reasonably active this session despite the supposed gridlock. We've already sent President Murphy legislation on reducing generic drug prices, supporting the Mississippi Delta, and futureproofing our economy against job loss through automation. And we've important legislation on Medicare drug price negotiation, HBCU and MSI funding, and the I-5 Relief Act, which we're waiting for the House to take up. Washington can actually get things done, when we sit down and try."
  • "Tacking riders onto bills is an easy and cheap way to get a quick hit, in the press or on the donor circuit, but it's definitely something that makes it harder to pass legislation. We need to be more disciplined about rejecting pork, and saying no to political stunts that are just designed to make the business of passing sensible bills that work for the American people -- something Congress should be more than capable of doing -- more difficult."
  • "There are a lot of issues where there should be promising ground for bipartisan cooperation. It definitely seems like there's scope for compromise among Republicans on drug prices, financial regulation, and labor law, and I think an issue like cybersecurity is something where a sensible bipartisan deal could be staked out, too. So long as there's a Republican party there will always be obstructionism, but I also think there are many who know the Tea Party is over and it's time to get down to the business of government."