Netroots Nation 2017

DMH

NetRoots Nation!! Thank you so very much for that humble welcome. I am truly honored and empowered to be with you today as this fierce grassroots body deliberates what our next step should be in the year coming forward.

I grew up in a neighborhood in San Juan, Puerto Rico called La Perla. If you Google my neighborhood and take one look at it, you can gather a good idea about what life was like in el barrio. Nevertheless, we followed that age-old, cheesy mantra: "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade." My family often had to make lemonade out of things that were not lemons, but the matter of the fact is that we were grateful to at least have something to drink. As a young boy, I ventured out beyond my neighborhood and quickly gained perspective about what life could be like... if my family had the money to afford it. Some neighborhoods in San Juan are illustrious and exquisite, marked by marbled walls and rust-proof metal fences that gate certain houses, and sometimes even the entire neighborhood itself. Some of these houses had freshly-pressed concrete driveways and breathtaking views of the coastline. Some had una criada, or a maid, and you could see them scurry around cleaning the house through the window through the gaps of the fence. It is then, in those crucially formative years of my adolescence, that I learned the harsh reality of the life dichotomy: the have and the have-not. Even with all this being said, my parents gave me the best life I could ask for and I would not replace it for anything in the world.

My friends, this is the power of hope. This is the power of love. This is the power of unity. Even in one's darkest day, the power of love is strong enough to pull anyone up by their bootstraps. As I grew older, I began to ask myself why the government had not changed the status quo. I could not understand or comprehend why our elected leaders would allow their own people to live in such impoverished conditions. Through my experience as social worker, activist, and a student in university, I quickly realized that it was not government that was the problem; it was the people who were running it. When I reflect upon what the role of government should be, I think about the bogeyman arguments that are often used to deter people from thinking about what government can do for the people. This isn't an outright declaration that the government should have control our lives, and I feel I need to make that distinction only because there will be people who attempt to twist the words I shall speak here today. Hell, I was even called out on Twitter the other week and someone used an old, antiquated Reagan quote to spin what I said. But history has shown us the power of the federal government when it comes to lifting people up from their impoverished conditions and providing them a lifeline to get a fresh start on life.

Despite all the pundits and fallacious arguments being thrown about by members across the aisle, the past eight years have been positively life-changing for many Americans. 135 million Americans can sleep better at night knowing the Affordable Care Act protects them from losing coverage due to their pre-existing conditions. 20 million Americans who started off the first Obama term without health insurance can now sleep better at night knowing they are now INSURED under a Marketplace program or the Medicaid expansion. In some states, coverage provided through the Marketplace was LESS expensive than that offered through an employer-sponsored coverage plan. Under the American Recovery and Investment Act, the federal government was able to stabilize the economy and spur job growth by investing in infrastructure and green energy. We saw the Supreme Court issue a landmark ruling with Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015, legalizing same-sex marriage in each and every state - a ruling supported by a Democratic administration! We became a signatory of the groundbreaking Paris Agreement, assuming the responsibility that the federal government will do everything in its power to protect its people from the existential threat of climate change. Congress provided greater protections for consumers with Dodd-Frank and placed necessary restrictions on an unruly financial industry to prevent the fallout that precipitated the Great Recession from happening again. Simply stated, this government needs to begin to invest in its own people once more... because when it does, the results speak louder than words ever could!

NetRoots Nation! In this session of Congress, WE THE PEOPLE have the power to push the envelope and, together, WE can radically change the status quo. We can pass the Equality Act and FINALLY make it a federal crime to discriminate against someone on the basis of their sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation. For too long, the federal government has overlooked the LGBTQIA+ community, but this is OUR time to change the law so that it reflects the fact that WE ARE AMERICANS TOO! WE CAN pass legislation that increases that shamefully low minimum wage to $15 so that American workers do not have to take up TWO jobs just to keep the lights on and put food on the table! WE CAN take the intent and purpose of the Affordable Care Act to greater heights by implementing a single-payer healthcare system to that EVERY SINGLE CITIZENS has access to quality healthcare WITHOUT BARRIERS! WE CAN pursue the most aggressive action in our nation's history to combat the existential threat of climate change! We owe it to the future generations of this country to do our part and transition to renewable energy sources where possible, REDUCE our carbon emissions, INVEST in GREEN infrastructure, and HOLD TRUE to the international climate agreements of which we are a signatory! WE CAN radically transform the criminal justice system to address systemic and racism-rooted issues like mass incarceration, racial disparities in sentencing, police brutality and the school-to-prison pipeline! This Congress needs to take up legislation that will reform sentencing laws, improve the relationship between our communities and police forces, and REHABILITATE these individuals to drastically decrease the rate of recidivism! WE CAN transform our nation's immigration system to provide a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants and DREAMers, protect the RIGHTS of immigrants and refugees, and reform our immigration enforcement policies. Despite what the other side wants you to believe, we CAN have a secure border and a socially just immigration system! WE CAN work to make higher education more affordable and accessible for MORE Americans by transitioning to FREE tuition for students who attend public four-year college and universities! And if we can't get that, we can at least begin by providing free tuition for two-year community colleges and vocational schools! WE CAN power the engine of the American economy by forgiving billions of dollars in student loan debt, freeing up that money for American consumers to reinvest back into their communities and states. WE CAN continue to advance women's rights, the rights of the LGBTQIA+ community, and gender equality! WE CAN make modern investments in our infrastructure to create jobs! All of these great achievements are within our reach!

NetRoots Nation! You have my word and my commitment that I will stand strong with you in our shared goal of accomplishing each and every single one of those goals. Nevertheless, know that nothing good in this life comes easy. The path to change is often plagued by obstacles and barriers that at times seem insurmountable. But know that your greatest strengths are only byproducts of what USED to be your greatest weaknesses. TOGETHER, podemos cambiar nuestra país para el mejor. WE CAN change our country for the better! Keep the faith and never stop fighting the good fight, even when the darkest clouds begin to roll in on the horizon. Each and every one of us is capable of conquering our biggest fear, our wildest dreams, and the most positive radical changes for our society. Imagine what power we yield as a collective unit! Imagine what power emanates from THIS ROOM in THIS VERY MOMENT! NEVER lose the fire within your souls as you will use that passion and motivation to create a more equitable and more just society for this generation and those yet to come! PEACE AND POWER BE WITH YOU ALL! Thank you so very much!

NLRb4Ct.png

DNC Chair Heather James addresses the conference.

Hey everyone, it’s great to be here.

I’m not here today to talk about legislative priorities. President de la Cruz has her agenda, and she’ll work with Senator Fakhouri and Leader Pelosi on that. Building a pro-jobs, pro-worker, pro-environment economy, defending and expanding affordable health care, securing stronger protections for voting rights. A progressive policy agenda can set the tone for the next four years.

But I don’t have the luxury of thinking four years ahead: I have my eyes on the elections two years from now. Policy is important, but it’s also not always the biggest factor in winning elections. For every ten learned policy wonks, give me just one energized volunteer. Like the activists here today.

Who will phonebank and email, go door-to-door. Put up posters and nail down lawn signs. Canvas fifty unlikely voters for that one swing vote that might be the difference. Campaign in summer sun and November rain.

We need to build on the successes of this last election cycle by retaining and expanding our majority in the Senate next election cycle, by taking back the House, by competing across the country. We won in Florida and we won in Wisconsin, we won in New Hampshire and we won in New Mexico. As DNC Party Chair, I fully back a fifty state strategy.

And as important as the Congressional elections will be, the state and local elections need our full attention, too. There’s a chance to overturn a dozen or more reactionary governorships in 2018, to take back state houses that are passing regressive laws or refusing to roll out Medicaid expansion or trying to block environmental regulations.

So the fight to defend the Senate and win back the House, to give President de la Cruz the votes for her agenda, to take back governorships and state legislatures, to advance progressive citizens’ agendas and roll back reactionary laws, starts now, and it starts not in a smoke filled room in Washington, but in local party chapters all across this country.

For the next two years, we need to build our momentum until we’re an unstoppable force. Voter registration, fundraising, candidate recruitment. We can write all the progressive policy we want, but we can’t get a thing done until we do the work on the ground, and as Party Chair, that’s what I’m going to be getting involved for the next two years.

Thank you.

U.S. Senator from Indiana

Senate President Pro-Tem

John Carlsen

"I'm happy to see you all here, for we meet at a time of great urgency. 

In the last election, several members of our party, including yours truly, explored running for President.  Some went further and competed in the primaries.  And at the end of the day, our great nominee, Xiomara de la Cruz, led our party to victory.  While there were differences between the various candidates, we all agreed that we want progress for the American people:  higher wages; protection of civil rights; preserving our entitlements; making sure the wealthy pay their appropriate share.  And, at the heart of our effort was one great cause:  to confirm a Justice of the Supreme Court.

You know what happened.  You know that Senate Republicans refused to grant a hearing to a well-qualified black Judge, Paul Watford, nominated by then-President Obama.  In a truly unprecedented defiance of long-standing tradition, going back through Presidents Reagan, Johnson, Eisenhower, Truman, Roosevelt, Hoover, and Taft, then Senate Leader Mitch McConnell did a wonderful impression of the late Leonid Brezhnev saying "NYET!" to democratic reforms.  No, he insisted, backed up robotically by his Senate followers, action would only be taken after the Presidential election.

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to 2017.  De la Cruz won the Presidential election!  It does not take a genius to realize that the Presidential election was in part a referendum on the Supreme Court.  And, to put it bluntly, we won, and they lost.  Not only did Xiomara win the Presidency, but the American people punished Republican obstructionism by giving our party a large gain and the Senate majority.  Now, finally, we could make progress.  And in her wisdom, our President nominated Paul Watford again.  This well-qualified judge would finally get the respect he deserved.  And the American people would finally get the Justice whose nomination they overwhelmingly support ... over 60% of the public!

Well, that is what should have happened.

Instead, Senate Republicans, from their new but not improved leader, Cliff Fleming, launched a campaign of vilification against Watford.  They even tried to use his race against him, and yelled about affirmative action like Abe Simpson yelling at a cloud.  They smeared him as an ideologue, a judicial policy maker, someone who wants to kill cops and coddle illegal aliens.  All of these accusations were dealt a severe fact-check by our amazing Vice President, Doug Murphy.  But never mind.  Like the sheep in Orwell's novel Animal Farm, the GOP Senate caucus just kept bleating the same things over and over again:  "extremist."  "embraces cop killers and illegal aliens."  "legislate from bench."  

It is distasteful, but not really that surprising.  These are the same Republicans who have repeatedly smeared our outstanding Majority Leader, Alex Fakhouri, because of his faith.  They have linked him to terrorism because he is Muslim.  You know, I have had plenty of disagreements with President George W. Bush, but at least he tried to set an inclusive tone, saying over and over again that Islam itself means "peace" and the actions of terrorists must never be used to scapegoat a whole group.  My God, can you imagine what this current crop of Republicans would have done if they had gotten in last year?  What would they have done to the millions of good, honest Americans of the Muslim faith, some of whom I served with in the Army fighting for our country?  

The Republicans just seem to be overflowing with hate.  And not just against those outside of their camp, but within.  You are an engaged group of folks.  You know what's going on in the news.  There is a civil war erupting in the Republican Party.  All against all.  Fighting on twitter and in the media.  Party and caucus leaders being challenged and some overthrown.  They are desperately concerned with power and prestige and "winning" at all costs, even at their own cost.  When I behold the Republican Party today, well, I hope you will allow me to quote scripture, specifically the first chapter of Romans:  "filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness."

These are the stakes, my friends.  We are Democrats.  We believe in progress.  We do not always agree, but we keep our eye on the prize, which is a better life for our people:  more jobs; higher wages; cleaner air; protection of all people regardless of color or creed; economic fairness; a functioning judiciary.  Steady progress for all.  

They are Republicans.  I don't need to tell you what they are about, for you have witnessed it.  You have heard the effluent of hate spewing from their mouths.  You have observed their strife and jealousy and selfishness.  

I say to you, we must all redouble our efforts to preserve this Republic and her people.  As Barack Obama said years ago, "Si, se puede.  YES, WE CAN!"

Edited by John E

Netroots 2017 Speech of Washington Senator Anney Iyal

Hello Netroots!!! My name is Anney Iyal and I am proud to serve as the Senator of the Great State of Washington. In 2016 we had a truly historic election. It was truly surreal watching the glass ceiling being shattered as not only was Xiomara de la Cruz elected President but many women such as myself were elected into the United States Senate. Xiomara's story begins humbly before she rose through politics to the Mayor of Houston and now President of the United States. Her background is someone who has lots of experience not with the geriatrics of Washington DC but with the rest of America. 

In my personal experience I grew up on the Nisqually Reservation. If you had told me that I would take a career in politics as a child or as a teenager I would have told you that you were crazy. However as I became active in Fisheries and protection of the environment it became clear to me that I could fight for environmentism through politics both local and in Washington DC. Despite facing many obstacles on my way to being here today, I was able to overcome and help be apart of a new movement of women who have taken the initiative and who have scattered the glass ceiling for good.

My message is simple and it is to all the young girls and women that watch my speech tonight l. Do not be afraid to follow your dreams to pursue a career in STEM, and to be the change you want to see in your community and your world. Go out there and fight for what you believe in. Fight for social justice, fight for women's rights, fight for environmental equity and make your voiced heard! When we make the voices of the voiceless heard, we can change the world for good!

Thank You!

ALEX FAKHOURI

Senate Majority Leader

"Good evening, Netroots!

I am so delighted to be here before you today, and even more delighted to share in our successes this first quarter!

Since the session first started, the Senate Democrats already taken on Big Pharma and blocked unfair practices that keep affordable drug brands off the pharmacy shelves. Now, even in the face of Cliff Fleming's opposition, we've achieved overwhelming bipartisan support for an even larger bill to allow Medicare to directly negotiation lower prices for prescription drugs for our seniors.

Since this session started, have taken on climate change and related disasters, first by passing legislation to protect against the increased waves of tsunamis, and we will soon pass legislation to protect  the Mississippi Delta—a beacon of commerce and industry for so many states, and a real-life example of how climate change can most hurt us if left unanswered. In addition to these wonderful bills, we have included benefits for black lung survivors from the coal mines of Appalachia, to secure their posterity for all they've given to power our country.

This is just the beginning. We are slated to overwhelmingly pass legislation to shield our working-class blue collars from automation and outsourcing that the wealthy hope to use to cut them out to save their bottom line. We are prepared to introduce legislation to reform our criminal justice system, by addressing the mass incarceration that disproportionately affect people of color and put out nation far ahead in this shameful category. We have put forward a bill that needs no name other than the Equality Act, which civil rights protections long-overdue to our friends in the gay and trans community. And we have reached across the aisle and lower the costs of care for the most vulnerable in our society. Our future. Our children.

This is the work of the people. This is what you've sent us to do. This is progressivism in action.

I wish our friends on the other end of the aisle would join us in these endeavors more vigorously. Alas, the GOP is far too concerned about their own leadership not being pure enough, and engaging in bitter fights over social media every other week—whether it be Cliff Fleming, or Paul Ryan, or Mitch McConnell. It never really changes, regardless of whose name is on the headlines.

Well, I would say this: if the GOP was more concerned about the functioning of this country than they were undervaluing the accomplishments of an esteemed black man—the most popular man to ever be nominated to the Supreme Court—they might be ready to govern again. It is the behavior they are demonstrating right now that is exactly what voters rejected in 2017. It is this behavior right now that is having us focus on a seat that has been left willfully vacant for over a year, rather than the issues that matter most to the American people right now. I would dare to even propose this behavior is willful, because the GOP as it is currently being led has no answer to the problems facing Americans. Because the members of the GOP who have crossed the aisle have done so in spite of their leadership, not because of it.

This is the natural conclusion of hateful and divisive ideology, because hate always turns on you. This is the natural result of partisanship, and our nation deserves better than that.

The American people deserve real leadership, which is why we must win in Wisconsin this March, to send a resounding message against the GOP's vain and shallow extremism. We must rally together, stronger and more united than ever, to ensure that the vision we share—a vision of equity, justice, and progress for all—is not just a distant dream, but a reality we are actively building, day by day, vote by vote.

Our mission, Netroots, is far from over. It extends beyond the halls of Congress, into the streets of our communities, into the living rooms of our neighbors, and onto the screens of every phone and computer across this nation. We are the agents of change, the bearers of hope, and the architects of a future that refuses to bow down to the cynicism and obstructionism of a party lost to its own ideological war.

At the core of it, our vision is simple: a fair, equitable society where every person, regardless of their background, their income, their identity, has the opportunity to thrive; where the air we breathe and the water we drink are clean; where our seniors can afford their medication; and where our children can grow up without fear of violence or discrimination.

Look at what we have already achieved together. This is a blueprint for what we can achieve. It doesn't matter whether we're from California or Kansas, Missouri or Massachusetts. We are prepared to go forward, not backwards. We are stronger together. We all have wallets and purses to hold our paycheck, plates to fill for the family at home, dreams to dream when we sleep. We're all looking for that opportunity in our lives. That's what America is all about. That's why my mom and dad came here from Lebanon, and why I'm able to speak to you here now.

America didn't give up on me. We're not going to give up on you. Let's put aside the distractions, put down the phones for all the naysayers that say we can't do it, and let's just... do it. Let's build that opportunity, here today. Just Democrats if we have to, but ideally Democrats and Republicans. Americans.

Thank you.

image.thumb.png.5f45605843aa48e3d469102ca224549c.png

US Senator from California

Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus

Senator Camilo J. deSonido

Ladies and Gentlemen, fellow activists, esteemed members of the Democratic National Committee, and all those who carry the torch of justice and equality,

As your newly elected chair of the Progressive Caucus, I am here today to ignite a fire in our collective hearts—a fire for change, a fire for progress. We stand united at Netroots Nation 2017, not just as a gathering but as a mighty force for the transformation of our nation. My theme for today, "Progressive Means Progress," is our rallying cry, echoing the urgency of our mission and the unyielding spirit of our movement.

Progressivism, my friends, is the soul of our democracy. It is the belief that every step forward, no matter how small, dismantles the walls of inequality and injustice. It is knowing that our fight is not just in the halls of Congress or the chambers of the Supreme Court but in the hearts and minds of every American.

Today, we face a critical juncture in our journey. The confirmation of Paul Watford to the Supreme Court stands as a testament to our resolve. His appointment is not just about filling a seat; it's about affirming our commitment to a judiciary that reflects the values of liberty, equality, and justice for all. And we must continue to stand on the business of liberty and justice and fight for his confirmation.

Today, I stand before you, Democrats and activists, and say, “Hold the line!” Protect the legacy of this juror that 63% of America is for and the fairness of the highest court of our land! 63% of America, folks. And who is their opposition? A man who can’t get 63% of his caucus to agree on anything, including whether he should be in charge! It would be a tremendous and egregious failure if we didn’t confirm Judge Watford on such a mandate.

But, brothers and sisters, our work does not stop there. We need more than just a few good people in high places. We need a movement that sweeps across this nation—a movement of people who stand up, speak out and take action. We need progressives running for office at every level—local, state, and national. We need voices that resonate with the plight of the working family, with the struggles of the marginalized, and with the dreams of the young.

I call upon each of you to rise up and take your place in this movement. Run for office, support those who do, volunteer, donate, advocate. But most importantly, educate. Educate our communities about our causes, about the power of their vote, about the workings of our democracy. Knowledge is power, and it is through this power that we will bring about the change we seek.

Let us make our movement an unstoppable force, grounded in the belief that together, we can build a more just and equitable society. Let us go forth from Netroots Nation with a renewed commitment to our cause, fueled by the knowledge that when we stand together, when we fight together, when we vote together, we win together.

We are the bearers of hope, the architects of change, the champions of a brighter future. Let this moment be our call to action. Let us preach the gospel of progressivism, not just in words, but in deeds. Let our actions reverberate through every corner of this nation, awakening a new dawn of progressive leadership and governance, filled with hope and promise.

Remember, Progressive Means Progress, and it is up to us to turn these words into reality. Let us march forward, shoulder to shoulder, heart to heart, with the unshakeable belief that we are the change we seek.

Thank you, God bless you, and let's get to work!

Vice President Doug Murphy

18749286_G.jpg?lastEditedDate=1568056490

"Thank you, Atlanta! I am honored to join you all today here in the Peach State. As beautiful as the drive was in today with the magnolias and eastern redbuds blooming, nothing compares to the faces here today. Your warm welcome is a blessing.

As our plane touched down today in Georgia, I reflected on the last several weeks in Washington D.C. The dysfunction, the ego, and the rancor. And as I weighed these things, the words of this state's own son Jimmy Carter came to mind. As he once said, 'I believe that anyone can be successful in life, regardless of natural talent or the environment within which we live. This is not based on measuring success by human competitiveness for wealth, possessions, influence, and fame, but adhering to God’s standards of truth, justice, humility, service, compassion, forgiveness, and love.'

My friends, these are the standards we believe. And they are the very banners that can lead us out of the partisan valley and upward to a new high ground of prosperity, freedom, and family for all citizens. What we need in Washington is not more politics as usual. We need the wisdom of the people here in Georgia.

Over the last year, we have seen what comes when our national virtues are absent: a political opposition so dysfunctionally twisted into nothing more than an obstinate ball of chaos. It is heartbreaking because there are neighbors of ours, good people, who voted for Republicans and deserved a voice in government. It is disheartening that a highly qualified judge who gave his life to learning and practicing the law would have his word and character sacrificed on a political altar of lies and contradictions. And at the end of the day, the people's business has been held hostage.

This is the price of political immorality. One can traces the line down from the halls of power to the frontdoor of working Americans, you see the consequences. Corporations able to buy off politicians and stack the deck in elections. What gains we make in healthcare are held at bay by insurance company lobbyists. And the dignity of working people treated like an expendable commodity rather than a God-given right to each and every one of you.

But does that deter us from trying? Should we give up hope? 

Of course not.

It is hope and the promise of tomorrow that are the only reasons we carry on. Hope that our children can grow up in a country better than the one we inherited. Hope that America can live up to its creed to every citizen regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation. Hope that maybe, just maybe, our politicians can look one another in the eye the same way their constituents do and see a fellow American and not a pawn.

Even in the midst of all the partisan rancor, we are making moves and breaking through the malaise. Thanks to Senator James, we progressives are on the way to guaranteeing lower drug prices under Medicare for all recipients. Thanks to Senator Clarke, medical research and coverage standards are rising. But our work is not done.

We will not rest until healthcare is a universal right for all.

We will not stop until corporate monopolies do not enjoy greater power than the working man, nor will we grow wary before the right to collectively bargain is assured. 

We refuse to give up on the rights of the LGBTQ community, women, and racial minorities. 

And we will not give in until the culture of Washington reflects the virtues of America.

That is our mission. That is our goal. For through, truth, justice, humility, service, compassion, forgiveness, and love, we will reach that better tomorrow. We will see a more bright and just sunrise where the light falls on all and not just those at the top. And we will make America whole and free for all. Thank you, God bless you Georgia and God bless the United States!" 

Edited by Tuna