Spin Zone: Q1, 2017

DMH

Name: Heather James

Media: Face the Nation on CBS

Reason: Judge Watford nomination

• "For all the learned thinkpieces about the politicization of the Supreme Court, what we're now seeing goes beyond even that. Judge Watford's nomination should never have been blocked by 2016 and we cannot allow Leader McConnell's actions to become a precedent. That said, taking the Republicans at their own logic, they said the nomination should be based on the result of the 2016 election. Which President de la Cruz won. She has sent her nomination to the Senate. And the Republican leadership is still refusing to engage. This has entered the realm of total obstructionism in which having a functioning Supreme Court is no longer important for the Republicans. Justice Scalia, may he rest in peace, joined his colleagues in writing on the importance of having a full Supreme Court and that unnecessary vacancies create procedural problems."
  • "Judge Watford has inadvertently become one of the most heavily vetted nominees in history. His name has been out there for a year. He has already been through confirmation once, when he was nominated to the district court, and then confirmed on a bipartisan vote. And now the best the Republicans can come up with is to call him a 'DEI judge', whatever that means. A disgusting charge which the Republican conference should wholly condemn. It's telling that Senator Roy threw out his bile having not even bothered to attend the confirmation hearings himself. Without having asked Judge Watford a single question. Perhaps instead of grandstanding for the cameras or trying to play 'I can't be racist, I visited a black church' he should consider doing his job as a US Senator and attending the confirmation hearings. It's worth noting his predecessor as Senator for South Carolina voted to confirm Judge Watford to the district court, too."
  • "Cliff Fleming is not going to pick the next Supreme Court Justice. Nominating judges is the prerogative of the President, a point the Republicans themselves made very plain in 2016. President de la Cruz has been elected and has sent her nomination to the Judiciary Committee. Judge Watford, despite disgusting personal attacks on himself, has answered questions with poise and grace, and shown he takes seriously the responsibility. I asked him about the lack of a formal code of conduct for the Supreme Court and I was impressed by his answer on the need for ethics reform. I am ready to confirm him, and other than catering to the lowest dregs of hysterical far-right media, I cannot see how the Republicans can continue to block this worthy candidate from confirmation."
  • Like 1

Name: Kyle Van Horn
Media/Outlet: Fox News
Reason: Watford nomination

•    Democrats say that we’re supposed to confirm Watford because they won the election. Well, my home state didn’t vote for them. Kentucky voted for McCord and elected me to the Senate. 
•    I wasn’t in the Senate last year. I don’t care what talking points Republicans used back then. I am making this decision based on what I think is right and what I think is best for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. 
•    Watford has a lot of liberal views that I don’t agree with and that my constituents don’t agree with. Watford tried to overturn the execution of cop-killers back home in Kentucky. Considering I just introduced legislation to make cop-killers eligible for the federal death penalty, his opinion is far removed from both my personal views and the views of the people I know back home. 
•    Watford is also weak on immigration, which I think is arguably the most important issue of our time. Watford tried to overturn an Arizona law that eliminated sanctuary cities and required state and local governments to cooperate with federal immigration enforcement. Again, this is an issue where there is a lot of daylight between myself and Watford since I oppose sanctuary cities. 
•    President de la Cruz was supposed to be a moderate, sort of like many of the Democrats back home in Kentucky. Instead, it looks like we’re getting Obama 2.0. We can do better than this, and I hope the President goes back to the drawing board and gets us a new nominee. 

• Like 1

Name: William Whitaker

Media/Outlet: CNBC- Squawk Box

Reason: Watford Nomination; Cabinet Nomination; Ousting as RSC Committee

• "...As I said before, after listening to the nomination hearing of Judge Watford; I fully support his nomination and I will in fact vote in favor. Judge Watford has a record of upholding the rule of law and making his rulings based on conscience, the constitution and what is right; and not on political views. Yes, Judge Watford may be ideologically left of center than what we would prefer but that should not be the deciding point on a such important nomination. I find it shameful that my colleagues, along with Minority Leader Flemming solely look at political beliefs and not the qualifications of Judge Watford. I urge my fellow Republican colleagues to steer through the facade Leader Flemming is putting on, look at the qualifications and vote then their conscience, whether if its the affirmative or the negative. As I said, we should not base this decision solely on politics.
  • "...Unlike Judge Watford; after observing the hearings of Former Director Orszag; Under Secretary Flournoy and Senator Valdez; I cannot in good conscience support their nominations. These folks are not qualified enough to lead their specific departments and I believe is just a political fill in. President de la Cruz and the Democrats need to realize OMB Director; Secretary of Defense and State are very important positions in the cabinet and filling them with anyone that agrees with her will damage our nation. Furthermore if we look at their record, they are far from putting Americans first. Director Orszag lined his pockets with money from businesses that he as appointed to regulate. Under Secretary Flournoy during her leadership in the Department of Defense; she oversaw the removal of Libyan Dictator Gaddafi. Though it was very successful, it ended in a mess which lead to the destruction of our Embassy in Benghazi and to American lives being lost. Because of this, Flournay has American blood on her hands. Senator Valdez, is a very poor choice of Secretary of State due to her failed leadership in the CIA under the Obama Administration. For the sake of Kentuckians and Americans, I cannot support these nominations."
  • "...Yes, it is true I have stepped down as Chair of the Republican Study Committee. It was a hard decision, and it was not a decision I had a choice to make. Shortly after I voiced my support for Watford, following my conscience which all Senators should, Minority Leader Flemming lead a coup de tat against me in the Caucus. This was very poor leadership by Senator Flemming, as he decided to go after me for voting my conscience. If these actions continue by Senator Flemming our party will most certainly be divided and will end in losing even more seats and possibly the House in future elections. I am glad however that I joined the Mainstreet Partnership with opened arms and I look forward to working through my term under their partnership..."
  • Like 1

Name: Senate Minority Leader Cliff Fleming

Media/Outlet: Fox News

Reason: Watford Nomination

• The Supreme Court plays a pivotal role in interpreting the law and safeguarding the Constitution. With the death of Justice Scalia, there is a need to preserve the operative stability of the Court. However, this nomination of Paul J. Watford, with his known liberal judicial philosophy, threatens to tilt the Court further to the left. To ensure a balanced Court that represents the diverse viewpoints of all of the American people, President de la Cruz should consider withdrawing Watford's nomination and seeking a compromise nominee who can garner broad bipartisan support.
  • Paul J. Watford's judicial record raises concerns about his propensity for judicial activism. His past decisions indicate a willingness to legislate from the bench and to impose his personal beliefs on matters of law. This is someone who supported cop killers and illegal immigrants, this isn't some attempt by those of us on the right to overinflate an issue, this is an objective fact. We've already heard the Vice President say how they want to target more and more issues that the American people just don't agree with them on. That's why they want to skip the ballot box and go straight to the courts for their legislating.
  • The Supreme Court should not be a partisan battleground but rather a forum for reasoned debate and impartial decision-making. By withdrawing Paul J. Watford's nomination and engaging in genuine dialogue with members of both parties, President de la Cruz can demonstrate a commitment to keeping her word. A compromise nominee who can garner bipartisan support would not only strengthen the legitimacy of the Court but also show that the moderate Democrat who the American people put into the White House isn't just another Obama in moderate's clothing.
  • Like 1

Name: Senate Majority Leader Alex Fakhouri

Media/Outlet: The Joe Rogan Experience

Reason: Watford Nomination

• Just a year ago, Mitch McConnell and Cliff Fleming said popular sovereignty should decide this Supreme Court through the 2016 election when they believed the McCord/Walker ticket was a winner. Now, today, Cliff and Charles Walker think a loud minority of Republicans should not only block the President's nominee, but crown their own pick. This is a shameless, cynical partisan plot to politicize our nation's highest court, and Americans should take note on how easily Republican leaders are willing to bend our basic constitutional principles for cheap political wins.
  • Judge Paul Watford is easily the most popular Supreme Court nominee in American history. He's been given the thumbs up from the American Bar Association, which is the most liberal left institution the country has ever seen if you ask Jesse Waters. Just don't ask how they rated John Roberts and Samuel Alito. Everyday more Republicans are joining in support of Judge Watford. Right now, he has the most bipartisan support he's ever had up to this point. Are you really going to tell us Henry Patterson is a "RINO?"
  • The mandate has never been more clear, and that is why I will say here that this fight is far from over. It's going to show in Wisconsin this spring when Republicans watch our majority grow as Americans reject their daily soap opera. We are putting them on notice, and sending a clear message that we will back down and let them grind government to a halt. The debate will continue, and we will vote until the people's consensus is understood as GOP leaders promised with crossed fingers from the very beginning.