www.lee.senate.gov

Posted (edited)

image.png.4000302d0168e506dbec2d58e9cb62d5.png

OFFICE OF COMMUNICATION, SENATOR TARIK LEE

Ms. Kelli Kweve, Director

Mr. Elijah Park, Press Secretary

Press Release #001

SENATOR LEE OPPOSES KBJ's SCOTUS NOMINATION

WASHINGTON D.C. - Today, President Murphy nominated Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, an extreme activist judge, to the Supreme Court. Senator Lee is strongly opposing the nomination.

"First and foremost, our nation continues to move forward strong after the resignation of de la Cruz. That's always a win for the people. What's not a win, however, is the nomination of Ketanji Brown Jackson, an activist judge who has spent her career departing from the very document she is supposed to uphold and interpret. Judge Jackson, glad to see a sista being nominated, but she's just too liberal and not the right person for the job. As it stands, I am opposed to her confirmation, but I do look forward to meeting with her and asking her some very important questions regarding her judicial philosophy."

Edited by Jack

image.png.c197261eb51a15318a4978f6186d47e5.png

Press Release #002

SENATOR LEE APPOINTED VICE CHAIR OF THE RNC

WASHINGTON D.C. - Today, Senator Tarik J. Lee was appointed as the Vice Chair of the Republican National Committee. Senator Lee, who represents the great state of Georgia, has long been a stalwart champion of conservative principles, advocating for limited government, fiscal responsibility, and individual liberty. 

In his new role as Vice Chair of the RNC, Senator Lee will bring his unparalleled experience and strategic vision to the forefront of the Republican Party. He will work tirelessly alongside party leadership to strengthen the GOP's grassroots infrastructure, expand outreach efforts to diverse communities, and mobilize support for conservative candidates across the nation. 

"I am deeply honored to accept the appointment as Vice Chair of the RNC. I look forward to working closely with Chairman Tom Donelson and my fellow Republicans to advance our shared principles and to ensure a brighter future for all Americans. Together, we will continue to champion the values that make our nation strong and prosperous."

Senator Lee has extended his heartfelt gratitude to Chairman Donelson and the members of the RNC for their trust and confidence in his leadership.

image.png.218695101e59870fa3a2f8da4da7b1ef.png

Press Release #003

SENATOR LEE URGES CAUTION IN ADDRESSING CRIME LEGISLATION, PRIORITIZING PUBLIC SAFETY 

WASHINGTON D.C. - Today, Senator Tarik J. Lee (R-GA) spoke to the Senate regarding S.7 Reversing Mass Incarceration Act of 2017 and the dangers to American communities everywhere if this bill were to pass, underscoring the importance of prioritizing public safety while addressing the complexities of crime and incarceration in our nation.

The legislation in question, which allocates a substantial sum of $4 billion to states for implementing programs to reduce crime rates and incarcerations, has sparked considerable debate within the Senate chambers. Senator Lee commended the intentions of the bill's proponents but voiced strong opposition to its current method of implementation. Senator Lee laid out the following as reasons for his opposition:

1. Budget allocation has zero dollars in offsets, further expanding the debt.

2. The eligibility criteria incentives reducing mass incarceration over public safety without clear guidelines on who should be released. 

3. The evidence-based programs are concerning since the bill does not offer any proper oversight for ineffective or harmful programs. 

4. Not much on public safety. 

Read Senator Lee's Senate floor speech on the topic or listen to at www.lee.senate.gov/videos/senator-lee

"I rise today in opposition to this legislation. I commend the intentions of the gentlemen from Maryland for wanting to reduce incarceration in our nation, however, I cannot agree with this method of going about that change, nor do I agree with the implications that this bill would have on our nation. 

For starters, Madam President, the bill allocates a significant sum of $2 billion - $4 billion in total - to states, divided of course, for the purpose of implementing programs aimed at reducing crime rates and incarcerations. On the surface, this may seem like a laudable endeavor. Who wouldn't want to see a decrease in crime in our country? I live for the day, however, the devil, as they say, is in the details. With the funding this bill proposes, in which there is no offset to save taxpayers' dollars, the eligibility criteria do nothing to reduce crime, rather, it incentivizes more heavily a reduction of mass incarceration without setting a clear guideline on who should be released. There seems to be an emphasis on "evidence-based" programs in this bill and it sounds appealing, but what exactly does that entail? Who determines what qualifies as evidence-based? Without clear guidelines and oversight, there's a risk that states may implement programs that are ineffective or harmful to both individuals and our communities. The only evidence that we have is that the more criminals are released onto our streets, the higher the crime rate. This does not ensure public safety and that should be one reason for this bill to be pulled or killed. 

The goals of this bill may be well-intentioned, the means by which it seeks to achieve them are deeply flawed. We cannot afford to prioritize reducing incarceration rates at the expense of public safety and the well-being of our communities. It is imperative that we reassess this proposal and consider alternative approaches that address the complexities of crime and incarceration in a more holistic and responsible manner. I yield."

image.png.d855b19b106499586e42eb03dbd715b5.png

Press Release #004

SENATOR LEE IS INVESTING IN OPPORTUNITY AND BREAKING BARRIERS WITH UNVEILED HBCU AND MSI BILL

WASHINGTON D.C. - Senator Tarik Lee (R-GA) introduced the Advancing Education Opportunity for HBCUs and MSIs Act of 2017 along with Majority Leader Everhart and other black Senators to permanently fund HBCUs and MSIs and increase their level of support from the federal government. The legislation comes after years of HBCUs being underfunded by state and federal governments, limiting the tools and resources for students to achieve success in the future. The legislation would tackle the funding issues by 1) providing permanent funding and 2) by increasing the funding capacity. 

Senator Tarik Lee said, "There's been a many years of this funding gap between white schools and black schools, and every year this discussion comes up but nothing is done about it. I spent a lot of time and money in my nonprofit to do something about this, however, there's only so much I can do with our limited resources. Many schools like Morehouse and Spelman in my home state have had to fight for more and more resources. Underfunding has left students at a disadvantage with room shortages, pest infestations, student-athletes facing ineligibility, and so many more problems that hinder these students' chances at an equal education. HBCUs and MSIs have received the short end of the stick for too long and now's the time to end it."

Senator Lee's legislation would:

• Permanently fund HBCUs and increase their funding capacity;
  • Establishes a grant program to support long-term improvements of HBCUs and graduate programs at HBCUs;
  • Award grants to HBCUs for constructing and renovating facilities, carrying out major repairs, and strengthening safety and security of a campus;
  • Addresses the capacity of HBCUs to participate in federal programs;
  • Enhance communication between the White House and HBCUs concerning programs, grants, or cooperative agreements; and
  • Grants statutory authority to the President HBCU Advisory Board.

Senator Lee remains committed to advancing education opportunities for all Americans so that all students may have an equal opportunity at the American Dream. "I will always put the needs of those who long for a fighting chance ahead of those looking for a handout. Education isn't just a privilege, it is a right."