Press Office of the Republican National Committee

republican-party-logo-9A38F583A4-seeklog

OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION RELEASE OF THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE

Q2 2017

RNC statement regarding the conduct of certain members of the Republican Senate Caucus

Today, RNC Chairman Tom Donelson of Texas released the following statement: "After review with our national executive council and our General Counsel, I have taken no easy action in formally issuing a censure to Senator David Stewart and Senator Logan Roy.  The process used to decide such a process was done holistically, with no malice or intent to harm the careers of these two men. However, after reviewing several inflammatory and quite frankly insensitive comments by Senator Roy, and after learning of conductive harmful to a unified and healthy Senate caucus, as well as negotiations that in no way included upper leadership by Senator Stewart, I have decided to take this measure to formally reprimand both gentlemen and make a statement that their actions and conduct where not only wrong, but harmful to the health of the Republican National Committee. As chairman, it is not only my job to make sure our caucus lives, but thrives. After three presidential election losses and the loss of the Senate, it is imperative, now more than ever, that our party unify, that we stop scaring away communities that are ke to having open political dialogue and discussion, and that we stop political games and division amongst ourselves, games that only hurt conservatives ideals, values and principles and help Democrats win. I understand this action may seem unprecedented, however it is my beleif and the beleif of the executive action this punishment is warranted. However, I hope both of these gentlemen, my colleagues, can learn and grow, and I look forward to working with the both of them."

R.C. Hammond, Communications Director

Edited by Abrams