Tweetdeck | 2017

DMH

image.png.d9a0d4888b8c3e6db981a817a136afff.png

Q1, 2017

(RL - 03/30/2024)

Paul Ryan (R-WI) Faces Possible Challenger for Speaker of the House

@Bret Baier - Sources within the House Republican Conference have stated that they do not believe Paul Ryan has the votes to win his party’s approval for another term as Speaker of the House at this time.

@Megyn Kelly - So let me get this straight Republicans, Paul Ryan sucks it up and takes on the role of unity candidate after feckless John Boehner leaves office and now we knife him? Make it make sense!

@Steve Bannon - It’s time for strong conservative leadership in the House. Tired of being told we have to put up with leaders like Paul Ryan who cave at every opportunity! We need a fighter against de la Cruz’s extremism!

@Jose Diaz-Balart - Sources close to Speaker Ryan have also said they are surprised by the backlash to Ryan’s leadership following a dominating election cycle for the Study Committee in the 2016 elections.

@Sean Hannity - How f-ing stupid you have to be to oppose the guy who gave you a House majority. Real classic.

@Rachel Maddow - Right-wing Republicans are out to avenge their 'mishaps' last election. First peson on the chopping block? Paul Ryan. The start of Republican infighting? More on that with Russiagate.

Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) Faces Stronger Challenge from Brad Ashford (D-NE) Than Expected for House Minority Leader

@Jake Tapper - Not all is sunshine and rainbows on the Democratic side as sources close to Minority Leader Pelosi have indicated that the insurgent campaign of Brad Ashford of Nebraska is garnering more support than previously anticipated.

@James Carville - While Ashford may not be the flashiest guy by any means, his challenge to Pelosi is rightfully pointing out the issues within the conference as it related to proper regional representation within leadership and spread across committee rosters.

@Donna Brazile - Nancy Pelosi has been the fearless leader of House Democrats and should continue to be as we enter the 115th Congress.

@Brian Williams - A small segment of the House Democratic Conference also appears to be supportive of an alternative option to both Pelosi and Ashford according to sources familiar with the ongoing race.

National Speculation on Possible Wisconsin Senate Special Election Candidates

@CNN Politics - Senator Scott Walker?: Rumors abound in Madison as some sources indicate Governor Scott Walker could consider a bid for the U.S. Senate in the upcoming Wisconsin special election.

@Sean Hannity - Scott Walker took the fight to the unions and won big. Can’t think of a better candidate than him to win the seat and create a 50-50 Senate!

@George Will - Wisconsin Republicans have a decent bench of prominent candidates like Lt. Governor Rebecca Kleefisch, Congressman Sean Duffy, and State Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald.

@Steve Bannon - You won’t find a more red-blooded patriot than Sheriff David Clarke to win the Wisconsin special election!

@Rachel Maddow - Democrats proved in 2016 with Russ Feingold’s victory over Ron Johnson that they can be competitive in the state. A strong Democratic candidate can hold VP-elect Murphy’s seat for Democrats.

@James Carville - Former Congressman Ron Kind, Dane County Executive Joe Parisi, and State Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling would all be strong candidates to replace Murphy in Wisconsin.

@Jeff Weaver - Establishment types are crazy if they think Wisconsin Democrats should embrace a moderate candidate. Firefighter Union President Mahlon Mitchell, Congressman Mark Pocan, and Madison Mayor Paul Soglin are all viable progressive options.

@Donna Brazile - Wisconsin state superintendent Tony Evers would make an excellent candidate in the upcoming Wisconsin senate race.

@Jake Tapper - Ultimately, both parties have extensive benches to choose from in the all-important state of Wisconsin as the special election in March will determine whether or not Democrats will have breathing room with their new Senate majority.

Joe Biden (D-DE) Travels to Capitol Hill to Start 115th Session of Congress

@CNN - Vice President Joe Biden is en route from the Naval Observatory to Capitol Hill to swear in newly-elected Senators for the 115th Congress.

@Jim Acosta - The 115th Session of Congress is expected to begin later today.

@Megyn Kelly - House Republicans stand as the bulwark against the radical agenda of supposed “moderate” Xiomara de la Cruz! They will be instrumental in this new Congress.

@Rachel Maddow - With a narrow majority in the Senate and a minority in the House, moderate Blue Dog Democrats will be the key to any legislation reaching President-elect de la Cruz’s desk.

115th Session of Congress Begins

@MSNBC - Vice President Joe Biden, in his last year in office, opens the United States for the last time.

@POLITICO - As the Senate opens, Senators rush to file bills hoping theirs will be picked, allowing them to make their mark.

@New York Times - With an incoming Democrat-controlled Senate and continued presence in the White House, many Democrats, especially in the black community, are looking forward to a 'swift' confirmation of Judge Watford who was nominated by President Obama just last year.

ABC News 2016 Year in Review

@ABC News - Look Back at 2016: LINK

First 115th Session House Leadership Ballot Outcome

@CNN Politics - BREAKING: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi falls short of a majority of her conference to win another term on the first ballot.

@MSNBC - Steny Hoyer of Maryland has been reelected as House Minority Whip. Joe Crowley of New York has been elected to serve as House Democratic Conference Chair and Ben Ray Lujan of New Mexico will be DCCC Chair for the 2017-2018 election cycles.

@CNN Politics - BREAKING: Speaker of the House Paul Ryan fails to earn a majority of his conference to serve as their Speaker nominee on the first internal ballot. Kevin McCarthy is overwhelmingly defeated by Freedom Caucus member Jim Jordan of Ohio for House Majority Leader.

@Fox News - Steve Scalise of Louisiana is narrowly reelected to serve as House Majority Whip while Roger Williams of Texas decisively defeats Steve Strivers of Ohio to serve as NRCC Chairman.

@NBC News - Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington fails to secure a majority on the first ballot for House Republican Conference Chair.

@Texas Tribune - Confusion abound in Texas as former assistant state attorney general Chip Roy is being floated as a candidate for Speaker of the House.

William Croft (R-OH) Elevated to Senate Minority Whip

@Fox News - Senate Republicans elevate Senator William Croft to serve as Senate Minority Whip for the 115th Session of Congress.

@MSNBC - Senator William Croft of Ohio is the first openly gay member of the Senate to take a top leadership role within either major party.

@Franklin Graham - Pray for America! Soddom and Gomorrah have no place in the halls of Congress, let alone Republican Leadership!

@Megyn Kelly - Republicans are a big-tent coalition through and through. Voices of sanity being elevated from the LGBT community to push back against ideological agendas is a win in my book!

@Jesse Watters - Can't help but scratch my head at why Senate Republicans would elevate Croft to Whip. No doubt a conservative through and through but questionable lifestyle choices!

@Rosie O'Donnell - Expect homophobic Republicans to come out of the woodwork to oppose William Croft simply because he is gay. Don't forget that Croft has stood silent while his own party works to roll back the clock on LGBT rights!

@Family Research Council - We are thoroughly disappointed with Senate Republicans for elevating a member fundamentally opposed to traditional family values.

@Log Cabin Republicans - LGBT Republicans are Republicans. William Croft will make an excellent Whip for Senate Republicans.

@Charlie Kirk - A gay Republican is a RINO.

@Ben Shapiro - …A Democrat

@Candace Owens - …Not real.

@Sean Hannity - …A Republican.

Andy Barr (R-KY) Emerges as Possible Speaker Candidate

@CNN Politics - Speaker Andy Barr?: Kentucky Congressman Andy Barr emerges as a possible challenger to Paul Ryan for Speaker of the House.

@George Will - Curious to see if Andy Barr gains momentum in his possible challenge to Ryan. Little differentiates Barr from Ryan on the issues, including on key issues like repealing the ACA, scaling back financial regulation, and shared views of entitlements.

Marcia Fudge (D-OH) Emerges as Possible House Minority Leader Candidate

@CNN Politics - Progressive Challenger?: Reports from within the House Democratic Conference inidcate that Marcia Fudge of Ohio could be mounting a bid for House Minority Leader.

@Jeff Weaver - The Black Caucus and Progressives putting up their own possible candidate compared to Pelosi and Ashford could throw the race for House Minority Leader entirely up in the air.

Diego Everhart (D-PA) Announced as Senate Majority Whip

@MSNBC - Democrats elevate Diego Everhart of Pennsylvania to serve as Senate Majority Whip. Nolan Stokes of Maryland will serve as deputy whip.

@Donna Brazile - A historic moment for Senate Democrats as Diego Everhart and Nolan Stoke become the first African American whip and deputy whip respectively.

@Jim Acosta - Senator Everhart was a prominent surrogate for VP-elect Doug Murphy's 2016 primary campaign and a key surrogate for the de la Cruz/Murphy ticket in the fall of 2016.

@Norah O'Donnell - No doubt Senator Everhart may have notable influence over the relationship between the White House and Congressional Democrats given his closeness to the President-elect and VP-elect.

John Carlsen (D-IN) Announced as President Pro Tempore

@Fox News - Prominent Blue Dog and 2016 Democratic primary candidate John Carlsen has been elected unanimously to serve as President Pro Tempore for the 115th Congress.

@James Carville - Senator Carlsen is a top Democratic focus going into 2018. His leadership and expertise as a prominent moderate Democrat could make him highly influencial in the upcoming session.

@Sean Hannity - Lefty John Carlsen will cave to de la Cruz and Fakhouri at every turn. Mark my words!

Marcia Fudge (D-OH) Announces Bid for House Minority Leader

@MSNBC - BREAKING: Congresswoman Marcia Fudge of Ohio announces bid for House Minority Leader.

@Rachel Maddow - Promoted by members of the Progressive Caucus, Marcia Fudge emerges as a potential alternative to Nancy Pelosi and Brad Ashford for House Minority Leader.

@Al Sharpton - Marcia Fudge would make a strong and bold choice for House Minority Leader should she win the approval of the majority of her conference.

image.png.113d1537515c6b1eea2e5c1379e57c97.png

Q1, 2017

(RL - 03/31/2024)

Andy Barr (R-KY) Announces Bid for Speaker of the House

@Fox News - BREAKING: Congressman Andy Barr of Kentucky announces challenge to Paul Ryan for Speaker of the House.

@Steve Bannon - It’s time to take out the RINO trash and kick Paul Ryan to the curb.

@Sean Hannity - Paul Ryan helped hold the House Republican Majority in 2016 and they pay him back by stabbing him in the back? Make it make sense!

Paul Ryan (R-WI) Faces Serious Threat to Leadership

@The Hill - Growing Republican Fissure in the House Threatens Speaker Ryan's Hold on Conference: ARTICLE

@Larry Sabato - I think its beyond clear that Speaker Ryan and his allies were blindsided by the level of opposition they've seen within the party. This was the guy who just led them to holding the House of Representatives less than two months ago.

@Congressman Mo Brooks - Republican voters demand new leadership. Losing three presidential cycles in a row is a sign that the party must change approach. Ryan must go.

@Congressman Justin Amash - I thought Republicans valued small government, low taxes, and less dependance on government services. The people running around calling Paul Ryan a RINO should take a look in the mirror.

@Congressman Scott Jennings - Paul Ryan has been a steadfast and even-handed leader of House Republicans. Freshman representatives like me were elected to get to work, not getting dragged under by petty inter-party squabbles.

@Mitt Romney - Paul Ryan is a proud Republican through and through dedicated to conservative values. I was proud to have him as my running mate in 2012 and I believe he deserves to continue to serve as Speaker.

@Newt Gingrich - Being Speaker of the House is a herculean task on its own. Paul Ryan has proven time and time again that he is the unity figure that keeps our House Republicans united.

@Tucker Carlson - House Republicans need fresh leadership that can inspire our movement. Andy Barr is the right guy to take the mantle of Speaker.

@James Carville - Democrats would be morons to not take advantage of the ongoing nasty inter-party fight going on with the Republicans. Voters in Wisconsin will remember in March!

@Jim Acosta - I am being told that incoming House Majority Leader Jim Jordan has stayed mum on whether to support or oppose Paul Ryan's bid for another term as Speaker.

Marica Fudge (D-OH) Suspends Bid for House Minority Leader

@MSNBC - BREAKING: Congresswoman Marcia Fudge of Ohio suspends her brief bid for House Minority Leader.

@Kyle Kulinski - What are progressives doing? What was the point of that?

@Jake Tapper - Marcia Fudge withdrawing from the Minority Leader race could be a signal that Nancy Pelosi has possibly secured support for her reelection bid.

Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) Forced into Second Ballot Following Surprise Surge for Brad Ashford (D-NE)

@The Hill - Nancy Pelosi Faces Stronger than Anticipated Challenge from Moderates in Bid for House Minority Leader: ARTICLE

@Van Jones - Moderates and Progressives are making their voices heard that there is not enough representation in leadership. They want more of a seat at the table and they expect to get one now that President-elect de la Cruz leads the party.

@James Carville - I don't think no one expected Brad Ashford of Nebraska to actually pose a challenge to Pelosi but here we are. Curious to see if support was centered on him as a candidate or his call for better representation in leadership.

@Kyle Kulinski - Marcia Fudge could have been a strong progressive compromise candidate for Speaker. I think pulling her campaign was a bad idea but maybe they've got some concessions out of Pelosi.

@Congresswoman Debbie Halvorsan - My fellow Blue Dogs have made clear that we want a seat at the table. I think Brad would make an excellent Speaker but I will take my caucus' position to heart.

@Congressman Jim Cooper - Look, I supported Congressman Ashford on the first ballot because I want to see more representation. Leader Pelosi indicating to us that she is ready to do that is a big win in my book.

@Donna Brazile - Swift victories for Steny Hoyer, Joe Crowley, and Ben Ray Lujan tells me the House Democratic Conference is generally a united front. They're having a conversation at the top about direction in comparison to the bloodbath on the Republican side.

@Jake Tapper - It's definitely clear that Democrats are having a much more tame leadership challenge then the Republicans. While the attacks on Paul Ryan have become more ideological and personal in nature, Democrats have been fairly quiet about their process.

Second House Leadership Internal Ballots Set

@Fox News - Paul Ryan will face Andy Barr on the next ballot for Speaker of the House. No challenger emerges against Cathy McMorris Rodgers for House Republican Conference Chair after rivals fail to secure enough seconds.

@MSNBC - Nancy Pelosi and Brad Ashford will duke it out for House Minority Leader after Bradford's surprising showing in the first round of balloting. Pundits expect Pelosi will emerge victorius after Congresswoman Marcia Fudge dropped out of the running.

David Stewart (R-PA) Attacks Cliff Fleming (R-AL) and Charles Walker (R-CA) On Meet the Press

@NBC News - Senator David Stewart openly criticizes Senate Minority Leader Cliff Fleming and RNC Chairman Charles Walker for backing Speaker Paul Ryan's re-election bid on Meet the Press: SPIN ZONE

@Sean Hannity - I don't know who this Stewart schmuck thinks he is, attacking Cliff Fleming and Charles Walker for supporting Speaker Ryan after he held the majority in House is ridiculous!

@Steve Bannon - Cliff Fleming and Charles Walker should be joining other caucus members and backing Andy Barr for Speaker. We need new conservative leadership and Paul Ryan ain't it.

@Megyn Kelly - I think going after the leadership as openly as David Stewart has isn't nearly as effective as he might hope. General Walker and Minority Leader Fleming both have made a strong case for Ryan remaining as Speaker and base voters tend to defer to their view.

@Tucker Carlson - It's clear that the Republican grassroots are finally taking leadership to task after three failed presidential cycles. Cliff Fleming and Charles Walker should be on the right side of history and stop backing Ryan.

@Senator John McCain - Paul Ryan is a strong constitutional conservative dedicated to our party values. The naysayers are proposing radical departures from traditional Republican values as they brazenly call Speaker Ryan a RINO.

@Rudy Giuliani - It's clear that Paul Ryan has got to go. We need a fresh slate of leadership ready to stand up to President de la Cruz at every turn. We need a STRONG Speaker!

Alex Fakhouri (D-MI) Warns of Right-Wing Takeover of House Republican Leadership

@CNN - Senate Majority Leader Alex Fakhouri shares his thoughts on the ongoing battle for Speaker of the House on The Lead with Jake Tapper: SPIN ZONE

@Jake Tapper - "This kind of chaos is indicative of a total failure of leadership, and should worry everyone about their ability to govern effectively." - Senate Majority Leader Alex Fakhouri (D-MI)

@Jim Acosta - Strong words from Senate Majority Leader Fakhouri towards Cliff Fleming, Charles Walker, and Paul Ryan. Saying they "fanned the flames of hatred" that led to this point is certainly pointed.

@Jesse Watters - I think Alex Fakhouri should worry about his own House Democratic colleauges before commenting on Republicans. This guy has no idea what he's doing.

@Hillary Clinton - Alex Fakhouri is correct that a far-right House Republican Conference is a danger to stability and the ability of Congress to deliver results.

John Carlsen (D-IN) Meets With Reverend Franklin Graham on Capitol Hill

@Fox News - Reverend Franklin Graham spotted meeting with President Pro Tempore John Carlsen of Indiana at the Russell Senate Office Building.

@Franklin Graham - I was glad to have a productive conversation with Senator Carlsen. His leading voice of moderation within the Senate Democratic Conference could be exactly what we need to avoid further transgressions on the sanctity of life or the sanctity of marriage.

@Rosie O'Donnell - John Carlsen meeting with someone as homophobic and anti-choice as Franklin Graham is a slap in the face to Democratic voters.

@Jake Tapper - Reverend Graham reportedly expressed openness to supporting legislation from the moderate Democrats like the Carlsen and Clarke-backed Child Tax Credit for Pregnant Moms Act of 2017.

@Bret Baier - Little doubt making inroads with prominent evangelicals like Franklin Graham could be critical to John Carlsen's future success as a Democrat in Indiana.

Rand Paul (R-KY) Announced as Next Heritage Foundation President

@Fox News - Heritage Foundation announces that former one-term Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky will replace Jim DeMint as President of the prominent conservative organization.

@Megyn Kelly - Conservative activists continue to question why Paul would decide to retire in 2016 rather than run for reelection. Getting the top job at the Heritage Foundation could be the reason.

@Steve Bannon - Rand Paul taking the helm at the Heritage Foundation marks a strong shift in favor of the new conservative movement agenda. I wish him luck.

John Bel Edwards (D-LA) Chosen to Serve as Democratic Governors Association Chair for 2017-2018 Cycle

@CNN - Governor John Bel Edwards of Louisiana has been selected to serve as Democratic Governor's Association Chair for the 2017-2018 cycle.

@James Carville - A decidedly conservative shift within the DGA following the leadership of Connecticut Governor Dannell Malloy during the 2016 cycle.

@Norah O'Donnell - A Blue Dog at the helm of the DGA will no doubt be a boost to future moderate candidates in upcoming gubernatorial elections.

@Rachel Maddow - Democrats putting a pro-life Democrat in charge of the DGA for the 2017-2018 cycle is certainly a choice.

Xiomara de la Cruz (D-TX) Set to Be Inaugurated as 45th President of the United States

@CNN - Tomorrow marks the inauguration of the 45th President of the United States and America's first female President.

@NBC News - Law enforcement is actively preparing for large crowds expected at the upcoming inauguration ceremony.

@MSNBC - Xiomara de la Cruz will become the first Hispanic, first woman, and youngest president to ever serve once sworn in.

@Fox News - Sources indicate that President-elect de la Cruz has invited 2016 Republican Presidential Candidate Katherine McCord of South Carolina to attend the inauguration.