fakhouri.senate.gov

Posted (edited)

ALEX VISITS FLINT AND ADDRESSES THE WATER CRISIS

image.png.56535d73fa1564e089bfe63bbb94ab48.png

FLINT, MICHIGAN — Today, Senator Alex Fakhouri visited the town of Flint, Michigan, which has become the center of national attention for the conversation on American infrastructure following leaching of aged lead pipes into the water supply. The crisis has prompted a response from both state and federal authorities. There, Senator Fakhouri stood with relief workers and first responders, assisting in handing out water bottles before taking to the stage to address a crowd of onlookers.

During his remarks, Alex expressed gratitude to President Obama for a prompt federal response which included an allocation of up to $5 million, while expressing frustrations at the initial response and imploring that more be done. The speech comes following of a tweet put out by Senator Fakhouri, imploring for a national response to the crisis. His full remarks are as follows:

"Thank you.

I'm very thankful the authorities were able to deliver this relief here today, and to get the citizens of Flint the drinking water they desperately need. It is not ideal, and by no means a permanent solution, as the tap water here remains contaminated, but it is a start and shows the commitment of the federal government to help us solve this crisis. I'd like to thank the President for acknowledging this emergency for what it is. We should be seeing an initial amount of $5 million now dedicated to FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security so that we may answer the challenge we have before us, and we will need much more to address it in perpetuity.

I am hopeful this is a commitment to that, and I promise you today that I will fight for just that in the Senate.

The danger cannot be understated. We've seen the numbers, and 100,000 people have been exposed—including 12,000 children. I'm not bringing up children just for a cheap talking point. The reason I mention this is because children are especially vulnerably to lead-contaminated water. What we've exposed these kids to is the potential for a lifetime of cognitive disabilities. We are accountable for that. We are accountable for our failure to act.

We cannot deny that this crisis represents a failure at all levels. Two years passed before a state of emergency was ever declared and Governor Snyder requested aid from the federal government. Two years. Two years of drinking and bathing and laundry. General Motors recognized the problem before our state government did. Virginia Tech discovered the problem before our state government did.

My question is why. Why, and how much do we still not know? These are questions that must be answered.

We're seeing greater attention on Flint, in part because of the President's response but also with it being an election year. In many ways, Flint represents the cries of many towns across America which are in danger of suffering similar dilemmas, but don't get to be heard. Communities that might be majority-black like Flint. Communities that might be impoverished, like 2 in 5 of Flint's residents. Communities that don't have a voice more than they do in this moment.

We are living in the greatest country on Earth. No Americans should have to do without cleaning drinking water. This should be a simple fact of life, but we must make that a fact. I challenge my colleagues in Congress, and the candidates running for President, do that with their actions, not just words. Lip service just won't cut it. Too many black communities across the nation have been paid nothing but lip service. Too many impoverished communities have been paid nothing but lip service. Everyone should be asking themselves this: will we do the right thing, or will we let this issue disappear after November 8th?

The test of whether we can act is right here in Flint, Michigan! This isn't abstraction. This isn't theory. This is real life! We have a choice of whether our future will be one of polish or rust. The country is watching as we make that decision, as are the people of Flint and Michigan at-large. I advise we choose correctly."

Edited by Sovereign

ALEX: TPP WILL BE A BOON FOR MICHIGAN MANUFACTURING

image.png.24b7d343efc489e3cfe778c053518cde.png

DETROIT, MICHIGAN — Senator Alex Fakhouri made a visit to the United Auto Workers headquarters in Detroit to discuss the Trans-Pacific Partnership, seeking to assuage concerns about the agreement and discuss how it might benefit Michigan manufacturers. In his remarks, the Senator accused Republicans of weaponizing "fear politics" and compared the treatment of TPP to that of the Iran nuclear deal and the Paris Climate Accords. 

"To say TPP is an expansion of "Made in China" is ignorant at best," said Alex in a post on social media. "The Trans-Pacific Partnership includes strong labor and environmental protections, reductions to dependency on China, and increases in American exports."

The full speech can be read below:

"I think it's time we dispel with the notion that free trade is an inherently bad. Sensational headlines have been quick to compare the recent Trans-Pacific Partnership to the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA. These concerns are valid, but are misguided. Here's why.

What we attribute to the flaws of free trade is a flaw with our system itself. A pervasive race to the bottom can cripple any nation. It is the reason we have a national  labor standards that establish an equal, sustainable, and reasonable floor for all blue-collar men and women in our Union. Because unfair and exploitive practices aren't just a detriment to the workers that live them, but to the neighboring states as well. Without a floor, nobody wins except the wealthy corporations.

That's not something you'll hear from the opponents of free trade. They are content to continue these policies of reckless austerity with no end in sight and no mind for the needs of the American people. What they do not want you to know is, that when done correctly, free trade makes for a freer America!

It is true that our trade policies have suffered in the past from shortsightedness and a reckless regard for this floor. Yet, we do not begrudge competition between the states—whether a company works in Florida or Nebraska, California or Idaho. Why, when the playing field is equal and everyone is playing by the same rules, would we begrudge it between Japan or Australia?

We've seen a great deal of fear regarding the People's Republic of China, and their recent maneuvers of aggression in the South China Sea. Yet, when presented with the option of a trade bloc that can reduce dependency on Chinese made goods and increase the output of American exports by $350 billion over fifteen years, the GOP throws their hands up. It is the same reckless abandon that led this party to deny a deal to monitor Iran's uranium enrichment, despite decrying the dangers of Iran acquiring a nuclear bomb. It is the same reckless abandon that will lead them to decry the Paris Climate Accords, despite the tangible evidence of manmade climate change.

Free trade has lead to a generation of abundance in America. We have an opportunity to not only continue that, but to do so in a way where America makes the most gains. Do you really think Vietnam can maintain the same industrial capacity as America if the standards were raised? Do you think Japan wouldn't capitalize on American industrial might and advanced manufacturing to get ahold of the microchips that are becoming ever-necessary in the modern world? Do you think, with the world becoming more and more cognizant of climate change, America doesn't have the capability to be a leading figure in the green revolution?

Think again!

America didn't get to where it is by being a sucker on the global stage. Americans know a good deal when they see one, and the fact is that TPP is good for America, and it's even better for Michigan! Thank you!"

• Like 1

ALEX VISITS MUSLIM COMMUNITY CENTER WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA

image.png.92d35452048276e53d3bb3f6471c1c41.png

WINDSOR MILL, MARYLAND — Senator Alex Fakhouri joined President Obama today, alongside Maryland Senators Nolan Stokes and Ben Cardin, to visit the Islamic Society of Baltimore in Charm City. There, Alex and the President met with Muslim leaders and directly rebuked recent cultural bias against Muslims which has overtaken American media since the beginning of the War on Terror in 2001.

"
"We've seen Muslim children bullied," said the President. "We've seen mosques vandalized. We have to be consistent in condemning hateful rhetoric and violence against everyone."

Up until recently, hate crimes have been on the decline since 9/11. However, the FBI has reported a rise starting last year, and has said that attacks on Muslims have been at their highest this year since 2001. This is supported by a California public university study which found that hate crimes against American Muslims rose 78 percent over the course of 2015. All of this coincides with increased rhetoric relating to terminology like "raidcal Islamic terror" and "Islamic extremism."

Following the announcement of the visit to the mosque, a statement what put out on social media by Let Freedom Ring, a podcast hosted by Senator Cliff Fleming of Alabama: "What we've been saying is coming true, folks. They're showing their true colors."

Upon returning to Michigan, Alex spoke briefly on the issue in a sharp rebuke to detractors, as well as referencing recent international events such as the 2014 Gaza conflict. His full remarks can be stated below:

"I think these comments are very irresponsible, and highlight exactly why the President needed to make this statement.

This issue of bigotry is far from unique to the Muslim community, but it is for that same reason that we know what it looks like when we see it. It is the same hatred that brought a 21 year old with a gun into a church to gun down a congregation. If I may even use our detractor's own logic against them, it is the same hatred that brought jihadists to Paris to take over 130 people's lives. I think those spewing the hatred today might find they have a lot more in common with these so-called "Islamic extremists" than they may like to admit.

I do not say that lightly.

What we must understand is that hatred is deadly, and we must look within ourselves and reflect deeply before we enter a point where it is too late and our words become actions. We are responsible for what we say. They have consequences.

President Obama did a service for my community today. It isn't new or revolutionary. President Bush stood before the American people, and called Islam a religion of peace. President Eisenhower not only became the first president to visit a mosque nearly 60 years ago—he commemorated its opening. Our presidents have all healthy respect for Islam since our founding with Thomas Jefferson. Morocco became among the first countries to sign a treaty with the United States.

What I'm trying to say is that Islam is just as American as Christianity is, and it is such because our Founders built this country to be a melting pot of all faiths.

And I am confident our next President will reflect this deeply-held value of our nation."

ALEX ENDORSES XIOMARA DE LA CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT

London mayor on state visit: UK 'shouldn't be rolling out the red carpet'  for Trump | The Hill

DETROIT, MICHIGAN — At Palmer Park, Senator Alex Fakhouri hosted a small event where he announced his long-awaited endorsement for President of the United States. The announcement comes after long speculation from the media. Up until this evening, Senator Fakhouri, a Dearborn native, had remained tight-lipped in lending any support to any one candidate, despite speaking positively of some.

"
Senator Fakhouri could in particular be a key figure in moving the small but increasingly influential Muslim American community in Michigan towards a specific candidate come primary day," said CNN commentator Jake Tapper on social media.

The endorsement comes just a day after an event where the Senator, a Muslim himself, joined President Obama for the a visit to the Islamic Society of Baltimore, just the third presidential visit to a mosque in U.S. history. During his remarks, Senator Fakhouri praised Mayor de la Cruz for her leadership in Houston, which maintains the third-highest median household income out of any city in the United States, and that her "youth" is desperately needed in a Washington run amok by "foulmouthed extremism." His full announcement can be read below:

"Good evening, my fellow Michiganders.

Tonight, we stand in auto manufacturing capital of the world.  We are the home of not one, not two, but three of the largest car companies on the planet - General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler. It is who we are. From the Model T, to the Interstate Highway system, to the muscle car, to the electric - Detroit has been there to build the car that drives America.

That dream has often been challenged by the post-industrial world. It has faced a pervasive race to the bottom that has stolen jobs, and economic uncertainty that has only worsened that. The fever pitch of 2007 was perhaps the most catastrophic event the auto industry has ever faced, with a million jobs hanging in the balance.

President Obama stepped in to lend a hand. That leadership, combined with your resilience and courage, saved an industry that defined America.

We see a lot of talk from Republican lawmakers about the auto industry, about manufacturing, and about the economic well-being of those working on the factory line. But when GM and Chrysler were on the brink, who came in to clean up the mess? When the housing bubble burst, who came in to clean up the mess? When millions of Americans were doing without healthcare, who came to clean up the mess?

We can ask ourselves if America is better off or safer than it was eight years ago, but that is not the question we should be asking. It is not the question because somewhere there is heartache and hardship, whether you are white or black, a man or woman, gay or straight, a provider or a sojourner.

The question, instead, that we must ask is: how can we be better?

The progress we have made in these past 8 years has given hope to millions of Americans - millions who witnessed a man who looks similar to them inspire a nation and help millions more. Hope, however, is only the beginning of a journey, not it's end destination. We still have many challenges to face. That is why we must choose the next person to carry the torch, who will continue to achieve progress with the same steady hand, the same open mind, and the same beating heart of their predecessor.

That is why I am honored to speak on behalf of the next president of the United States, Xiomara de la Cruz!

Xiomara represents the youth we desperately need in today's politics. As a local leader, she represents the closest to home in America's heartland, far from the foulmouthed extremism that's pervasive in Washington. As a Latina woman, she represents the truest and most inspiring parts of America's story that tells us that anyone can make it, no matter how downtrodden or disadvantaged.

I've had the opportunity to speak with Xiomara personally. I've seen her record, and you only need to see her record to know she means it when she says it. She balanced the city budget, and took that money to fix roads and critical infrastructure in her city. She oversaw vast reductions of crime. And she didn't just wear bearing Latina as a political badge to be flaunted; Xiomara made it easier for minority women just like her to open up small businesses in Houston. These are real issues that affect people's lives, and Xiomara delivered.

With our national conversation being centered on immigration and the lens being focused - for right or wrong - on America's Latino population, who would better answer for these issues than a Texan mayor a little over five hours from the border with the third largest Latino population in the nation and the third largest migrant population in the nation.

I'll tell you who: no one. Because no other city can compete with the city with the third highest median household income, and a cost of living the puts the top two to shame. Xiomara's Houston is proof that, if anything, America is stronger with Latinos.

We've already seen Xiomara take a stand on the issues that matter to you. Tax cuts for the middle class. Lowering prescription drug prices. Expanding mental healthcare. Protecting women's rights to an abortion. Delivering on Universal Pre-K. And promoting trade that works for Michigan and makes America freer. I could go on, but we're about showing, not telling here. And Xiomara is about to show us what she means on the campaign trail.

I can't wait to be there at her side.

Thank you, and God bless America!"

• Thanks 1

ALEX AND XIOMARA STAND UP FOR UNIONS ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL

Sadiq Khan nationalism warning angers SNP

DETROIT, MICHIGAN — Senator Alex Fakhouri joined presidential candidate Xiomara de la Cruz on the campaign trail, taking center-stage to talk unions at a rally in Detroit. Working-class people from all across Michigan joined Alex, as he spoke on Xiomara's record as the Houston mayor, and highlighted her support for local construction and job creation which has directly benefited union workers. In his remark, Alex addressed Houston's leadership in the oil and petrochemical manufacturing industries, and suggested that her pragmatic economic approach would translate into positive outcomes for Michigan's own manufacturing sector.

"Xiomara will continue to look out for and take care of all workers," said Senator Fakhouri. "Whether its the worker pulling the oil out of the ground and the worker putting the car together on the factory line."

Alex also called out Republican leaders, naming Michigan Governor Rick Snyder by name as he criticized the party-wide support for "right to work" laws. Governor Snyder had been critical in passing the state's own right-to-work law in 2013. Labor groups have argued these laws have hurt workers' ability to organize, and lead to lower wages for workers in states where the laws have been implemented—statistics supported by research conducted by the Economic Policy Institute.

Senator Fakhouri's full remarks can be found below:

"Let's not mince words. 

Xiomara is the only candidate in this primary with executive experience, and the only one in the election that has lead a government in delivering real results this decade! As Mayor of Houston, Xiomara established the Houston First Corporation, which brought on union workers to build a new hotel and convention center expansion for the city's expansive tourism industry. Upon its completion, the new hotel in this Convention District will employ a staff composed of union workers.

There are those that talk the talk, and those that walk the walk. Xiomara has led that path, and she has done it at a level closest to the American people. She has made a change that people will feel at home, and she knows what it looks like.

As the leader of the energy capital of the world, and home to the largest petrochemical manufacturing sector on the planet, Xiomara understands how vital these industries are for Michigan's automotive industry. Whether it be the petroleum that is put in the car or the rubber that goes on the tires, a lot of it starts down in Houston. While Xiomara will work hard to deliver a clean renewable energy employing high paying American union jobs, Xiomara will continue to look out for and take care of all workers, whether its the worker pulling the oil out of the ground and the worker putting the car together on the factory line.

Republicans love to talk about the virtues of the energy sector and manufacturing, but when it comes to making sure workers reap the benefits? About 15.5% of Michigan workers are represented by unions, over three points higher than the national share. That's over half a million Michiganders.

Republicans believe you have the right to work. They love that phrase. Governor Snyder proudly flaunted it when he bypassed a public vote to sign it into law, and he loved it when he boasted 275,000 new jobs. What Governor Snyder didn't tell you was those jobs came with high turnover rates. What Governor Snyder didn't tell you was that the RTW law he signed in comes with an average of $1,500 in lost wages. What Governor Snyder neglected to inform was for every million of those dollars lost to workers leads to $850,000 less spent on the economy, and six more jobs lost.

"In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as ‘right to work.’ It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining by which unions have improved wages and working conditions of everyone." It was true when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr said those words 55 years ago, and it is true today. Right to work is wrong for Michigan.

So how does this tie into the election? I'll tell you how! Xiomara de la Cruz remains the only candidate in this race to have received union support! She came from a union family, and showed Houston that she didn't forget her roots. She will continue to be a friend to unions in the White House, when she seats an NLRB that is fair and responsive to organized labor. She will be a friend to unions when she raises the minimum wage floor for all Americans, and delivers the same results that got skilled workers in Houston a median of $30 an hour! She will continue to be a friend to workers when she opens avenues for new skills training to increase the value of your labor. She will continue to be a friend to workers when she opens up childcare options for mom and dad when they're both working 40 hours and can't afford the costs of that babysitter.

Xiomara de la Cruz is a friend to Michigan's working-class families and organized labor, and you better believe no one out there is more qualified to deliver on her promises to workers - and the results already show. Thank you!"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

ALEX ELECTED MAJORITY LEADER OF THE UNITED STATES SENATE

image.png.93bc1507c3e94e176252887d91fab85b.png

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In a historic vote today, Senator Alex Fakhouri has been elected to serve as Senate Majority Leader. His ascension comes in a year of historic firsts as he becomes the first Muslim American to assume the role. He previously served as chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, which saw the largest victory for Senate Democrats since 2008. He will assume the office immediately, succeeding outgoing senator Harry Reid (D-NV) who has led the Democrats since 2005.

In remarks to John King on CNN prior to his election, Senator Fakhouri called for moderation and bipartisanship, while emphasizing common-sense economic goals that include investing in small business, raising the minimum wage, and expanding tax breaks for working-class families. He also praised Obama-era policies that led to the economic recovery, as well as progress made on social issues and the world stage, indicating a continuation of these successful policies.

Following the closed-door vote, Alex spoke with the press just outside of the DNC HQ. His full remarks can be read below:

"Good morning. I want to start off by thanking my colleagues within the Senate Democratic Caucus for their support and confidence. I strive not to let them, or the American people down with the awesome responsibilities that have been invested in me.

As I stand here before you, I am reminded of the worlds of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy as I stand here today. 'Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer.' With the partisan divide deepening in politics more than ever before, this is something we must keep in the back of our mind and at the bottom of our hearts. And we, in the Democratic caucus, are committed to reaching the right answer.

This is not something that can be reached by one man or one woman. It is a call that all Americans must answer and work toward. That work does not end at the ballot box. For democracy is not a chore we can afford to maintain only once in a while. It is a promise we must keep every single day. It is a promise to the principles of sustainability, prosperity, and liberty.

As we enter the new session, I look forward to working with the President and with Republican leaders in Congress to achieving this vision. Our agenda is clear. We will uplift working-class families from the grips of poverty. We will address the scientific consensus on climate change. We will build a criminal justice system that emphasizes fairness and equal distribution of the rule of law. We will provide American youth opportunities that uphold the promise that anyone can make it if they work hard enough.

These will not be easy challenges to face, but they are challenges no more difficult than the ones we have faced and overcome before. So, let's roll up our sleeves, engage in these conversations head on, and work like we're paid to — because we are. Thank you."

Edited by Sovereign

Posted (edited)

ALEX LOOKS TO GREAT LAKES FISHERIES AS SESSION CONVENES

image.png.26530e66be79d9b2c16220b966c32dcc.png

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In a significant move to safeguard the ecological health and economic vitality of the Great Lakes, Senator Alex Fakhouri has introduced two pivotal pieces of legislation today as Congress returns to work: the Great Lakes Mass Marking Program Act and the Great Lakes Fishery Research Authorization Act of 2017. These bills aim to enhance fishery management practices and bolster scientific research and data collection efforts, ensuring the sustainability of the Great Lakes' natural resources for future generations.

Under the Great Lakes Mass Marking Program Act, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service will be tasked with expanding present fish stocking and marking efforts. By implementing a comprehensive mass marking program for all trout and salmon stocked in the Great Lakes, this legislation will enable more accurate assessments of fish populations, migration patterns, and the overall success of stocking efforts. This critical information will support improved management decisions, aiding in the preservation of the Great Lakes' fishing industry, which remains a cornerstone of the region's economy and cultural heritage.

The Great Lakes Fishery Research Authorization Act of 2017 aims to authorize funding for the U.S. Geological Survey to conduct essential scientific research on the Great Lakes' fishery resources. This research will focus on invasive species control, habitat restoration, and the impacts of climate change on the Great Lakes ecosystem. By securing the necessary resources for cutting-edge research, this act ensures that policymakers and fishery managers have the knowledge needed to protect and sustain the Great Lakes' complex ecosystem effectively.

The Great Lakes are the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth by total area and second-largest by total volume. Containing 21% of the world's surface fresh water, the Great Lakes support a rich ecosystem with over 3,500 species of plants and animals, including 170+ fish species. In 2015, American fisherman in the Great Lakes brought in nearly 15 million pounds worth of fish to shore. Altogether, the Great Lake's fisheries are worth an estimated $7 billion, support more than 75,000 jobs, and attract about 1.8 million recreational anglers a year.

Edited by Sovereign