The Hill

Jack

image.png.5fc4589e4cb4a0d944f8e5e93cbe12bb.png

image.thumb.jpeg.a3c634ceb8757e2faef25cdb4d89782f.jpeg

Growing Republican Fissure in the House Threatens Speaker Ryan's Hold on Conference - Q1, 2017

Washington D.C. - Shock would be an understatement across Capitol Hill as Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI) faces a growing fissure within the House Republican Conference that has threatened to derail his speakership. Despite holding the House of Representatives in the 2016 elections, a conservative grassroots backlash, promoted by elements of the House Freedom Caucus, has denied Speaker Ryan an outright majority victory on the first internal ballot of the House Republican Conference to serve another term as Speaker of the House in the 115th Session of Congress.

The fissure over Speaker Ryan's bid for a second term comes with the backdrop of a rightwing lurch for the rest of the House Republican Conference Leadership. Congressman Jim Jordan (R-OH), a prominent member of the House Freedom Caucus, trounced incumbent House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and will serve as House Majority Leader in the 115th Congress. Establishment Republican Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) failed to secure a majority of the vote for House Republican Conference Chair and is expected to face a challenge. Freedom Caucus member Congressman Roger Williams (R-TX) will lead the NRCC into the 2017-2018 election cycle. Only House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) was spared from a first ballot loss and will continue in the role.

Pundits across the spectrum expected Speaker Ryan to be unopposed in his bid to continue serving as Speaker of the House in the 115th Session of Congress. Following a dominating victory in 2016 for Republican Study Committee candidates over other factions of the party, Speaker Ryan was anticipated to have a less hostile Republican Conference to the wishes of leadership. "The establishment wing of the Republican Party dominated in 2016, you see that in 144 members of Congress associated with the Republican Study Committee within the overall 232 majority," said Professor Larry Sabato on Meet the Press. "This speaker bid should have been a slam dunk."

A slam dunk that ultimately never materialized. Despite famously backing his bid for Speaker in the 114th Session of Congress, the right-wing House Freedom Caucus has roared to life, backed by surprising defections from the Republican Study Committee, to oppose Speaker Ryan's bid for another term. "We've now lost three presidential cycles in a row and it's clear to me that we need a change in direction and leadership," said Congressman Mo Brooks (R-AL) during an appearance on Fox News Sunday. "I don't think Paul Ryan's version of the Republican Party is what the voters want anymore. That change should be reflected in our leadership."

Not all members of the House Freedom Caucus have been onboard with the move to oust Speaker Ryan. Many libertarian-minded members of the caucus have been supportive of Speaker Ryan's agenda related to entitlement reform, tax cuts, and scaling back government regulation. "Speaker Ryan isn't perfect, but neither is any one of us," said Congressman Justin Amash (R-MI) to a press gaggle. "What Speaker Ryan does get right is his commitment to small-government conservatism, something that rhetoric from his opponents increasingly indicate to members like myself that they want to shift away from those principles."

Despite all of the current infighting, numerous members of the House Republican Conference have expressed confusion over the sudden backlash to Speaker Ryan's leadership. "I think Speaker Ryan and his allies were caught off-guard by the sheer backlash to his speakership," said Bush White House alum and freshman Congressman Scott Jennings (R-KY) on Anderson Cooper 360. "Frankly, a lot of us have been caught off guard. We keep hearing about Paul Ryan being a RINO but when they explain why, they talk about issues that aren't traditional conservative positions. It's bizarre to me. If Paul Ryan is a RINO, then I don't know what a Republican is."

Senate Republicans have been equally fiercely divided on Speaker Ryan's bid for a second term. Newly-minted Senate Minority Leader Cliff Fleming (R-AL) has spoken out in support of Speaker Ryan despite being a member of the Freedom Caucus himself. Other members of leadership within the Senate Republican Conference, such as Senate Minority Whip William Croft (R-OH), have come out in support of Speaker Ryan as balloting continues. 

The Republican National Committee, through RNC Chairman General Charles Walker (R-CA), has openly expressed support for Speaker Ryan's continued tenure at the helm of the House Republican Conference. "I think it is very telling that Republican leadership have consolidated around Speaker Ryan," said Fox News Sunday Host Chris Wallace. "Despite being members of the right-wing of the Republican Party, the leadership clearly sees benefit to keeping Ryan on for the 115th Session of Congress." Prominent Republican leaders, such as 2012 Republican Presidential Nominee and Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) and former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA), have spoken out in support of Speaker Ryan in recent days.

Various other Senators within the Republican Conference have expressed opposition to Speaker Ryan's continued leadership. Despite previously claiming to be unwavering in his support for Paul Ryan as Speaker of the House, Senator William Whitaker (R-KY), has now come out against Speaker Ryan and reportedly moved to formally nominate a challenger. Senator Anne Marie Morello (R-ID) expressed their "thrill" related to Speaker Ryan failing to secure a majority on the first conference vote.

None have been perhaps more bold than Senator David Stewart (R-PA) who publicly attacked Speaker Ryan and his leadership in his own backyard at an event in Milwaukee. "The fight we're waging right now in Washington is a fight we must win. It's not about who will become Speaker of the House, it's about the symbolism of Paul Ryan's downfall. Paul Ryan represents everything we need to fight against in the Republican party and in the Democratic party. He's a creature of those globalist special interests."

Speaker Ryan now faces a direct challenger for the Speakership from Congressman Andy Barr (R-KY). While some conservative pundits have pointed out that Congressman Barr's views on key issues raised by opponents of Speaker Ryan are relatively similar to Ryan's own, others have noted Congressman Barr as a fresh face to bring in a new wave of leadership. "I think Andy Barr is just the right kind of change House Republicans need," said Fox News Pundit Tucker Carlson. "He's a fighter through and through that will provide House Republicans with an actual conservative leader, not the politics as usual nonsense of Paul Ryan."

Democrats, for their part, have basked in the infighting within the House Republican Conference as the Wisconsin Senate Special Election looms. "These right-wing wackadoodles in the House and Senate are giving Democrats a gold mine of content to hit them over the damn head with in that upcoming special election," exclaimed veteran Democratic strategist James Carville on MSNBC's Morning Joe. "They've been ripping Paul Ryan apart in the press and in his own damn state, the same state that will determine whether Democrats get a outright 51-49 majority in the Senate. They're exposing a rift that Democrats would be morons not to exploit going into that election and beyond."

Recent polling indicated that 67% of respondents told pollsters that they support Paul Ryan remaining as Speaker of the House. This percentage is down from over 79% of respondents prior to the significant backlash to his leadership. Republican voters indicated general support for Paul Ryan's traditional positions to key issues like trade and entitlement reform, though overall at lower percentages than prior to the 2016 election cycle. Over 80% of respondents could not name what state Congressman Andy Barr is from.

• Like 1

image.png.c3de7af18c3a18b59df076473256e66f.png

image.thumb.png.a5e0f88916c22f65fa5f1f2aaa6916fa.png

Nancy Pelosi Faces Stronger than Anticipated Challenge from Moderates in Bid for House Minority Leader - Q1, 2017

Washington D.C. - The race for House Minority Leader is heating up as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has failed to secure another term as leader on the first internal ballot. A revolt from the moderate and progressive factions of the conference has surprisingly gained traction within the House Minority Leader race, denying Nancy Pelosi a first ballot victory. 

In contrast to the current ideological fight for Speaker of the House within the House Republican Conference, the divisions within the House Democratic Conference has centered on lack of geographic and ideological representation within leadership positions across the chamber. The 114th Session of Congress did have the majority of ranking member positions held by coastal state representatives and coastal Democrats representing key conference leadership roles. "Little question a lot of members of the Democratic conference have been discontent about the composition of leadership for quite some time," said CNN Contributor Van Jones during an appearance on CNN's New Day. "I think its clear that they've finally had enough. The election of a moderate like President-elect de la Cruz further emboldens them to take action."

Pundits were surprised by the level of support that Minority Leader Pelosi's challenger, Congressman Brad Ashford (D-NE), had on the first ballot. The moderate Blue Dog from Nebraska was not perceived by many to be a threat to Pelosi's leadership. "I think Brad Ashford challenging Pelosi is unorthodox enough as it is, but for him to actually gain momentum against Pelosi is a signal that elements of the conference agree with Ashford's call for more geographic and ideological diversity within leadership," theorized veteran Democratic strategist James Carville. "I suspect a portion of Ashford's supporters are more supportive of what Ashford is calling for than for Ashford himself. This is a fairly moderate to conservative Democrat but he encapsulates the criticism of Pelosi's leadership structure."

The brief bid for Speaker by Congresswoman Marcia Fudge (D-OH) following Pelosi's loss on the first ballot further highlights discontent with the structure of leadership from the left as well. The Progressive Caucus propped up the challenge by Marcia Fudge before determining that there would not be a path. "I think progressives dropped the ball a bit here," exclaimed leftist commentator Kyle Kulinski. "I hope progressive leadership has a idea in mind by ending Marcia Fudge's bid after recruiting her so soon. We need more progressive voices in leadership. That is where the real decision making is and it's time to get a seat at the table."

Despite the bulk of their members supporting the challenge to Pelosi by Brad Ashford, Blue Dogs now find themselves in a similar situation to Progressives regarding which way to turn. Sources close to Ashford himself expressed shock when seeing the level of support he received on the first ballot. "Look, I like Brad a lot and I think the changes he rallied for are critical for building our bench and uniting our party," said moderate freshman Congresswoman Debbie Halvorson (D-IL) during Meet the Press. "I am going to take to heart whatever my fellow Blue Dogs decide. Brad has shown the feeling of many in our conference that we need better representation in leadership. It's on Leader Pelosi to show us she is willing to listen to those demands."

Minority Leader Pelosi reportedly did make an address to the wider House Democratic Conference following the end of the 1st ballot to make guarantees of listening to concerns from members. Sources on record have indicated that she promised the conference that there would be more geographic and ideological diversity within the House Democratic leadership should she be reelected to serve as Minority Leader. "To me, this was a big victory for what Congressman Ashford called for by having Leader Pelosi confirm that she'd listen to us," explained prominent Blue Dog Congressman Jim Cooper (D-TN) to the press following the conference meeting. "I think we've got promises from leadership to expand the bench in our leadership across geographic and ideological lines. That to me is a win and one I can support."

The rest of House Democratic Leadership was elected with varying degrees of opposition that couldn't clear 50%. House Minority Whip will continue to be Congressman Steny Hoyer (D-MD), who has served in the role for multiple Congresses. Congressman Joe Crowley (D-NY) faced minimal opposition but won the role of House Democratic Conference Chair. Congressman Ben Ray Lujan (D-NM) was unanimously elected as the next DCCC Chair for the 2017-2018 cycle. "I think its clear that the Democratic Conference overall is a united front," said former DNC Chairwoman Donna Brazile during an appearance on Fox News Sunday. "Democrats want strong leadership and they are overwhelmingly voting to keep the ship stable. Certainly going much smoother overall than the Republican bloodbath."

Polling has indicated that a large majority of 71% of Democratic voters are supportive of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi retaining her role. Polling conducted towards moderate and progressive voters show much narrower majorities within both subgroups. "I think Democrats find themselves in a better position on their leadership issues than Republicans because the issues at the heart of the challenge aren't ideological or personal in nature," said CNN Host Jake Tapper. "It's a signal by both the moderates and progressives that they want their voices heard. They aren't throwing Nancy Pelosi under the bus like many Republicans are with Paul Ryan and the Speakership race. Republicans have a real risk of depressing their party enthusiasm with a drawn out fight for leadership while Democrats hash out what ultimately is more of a public flex of influence over an vicious ideological battle."

image.png.83153365ac7c35ed46aab76ee58c0036.png

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4e0cf212707f24e22d8dd0ccae159a.jpeg

NAFTA Repeal Amendment Marks Shift in Trade Conversation As Chamber of Commerce Balks Openly - Q1, 2017

Washington D.C - A Republican-led effort to amend the Investing in Tomorrow’s Workforce Act of 2017, a bill sponsored by Senator Andrew Clarke (D-MO) that seeks to invest in blue collar job training, to add a provision withdrawing Congressional approval for the North American Free Trade Agreement, commonly known as NAFTA, has marked a significant shift in the political conversation around NAFTA. The free trade agreement between the United States, Canada, and Mexico in 1994 has been a major contention of controversy since its inception. As Republicans in Congress make a significant reversal in direct and open opposition to NAFTA and free trade, the issue of trade is gradually emerging as a major issue within the wider political climate.

Since the election last November, Republican rhetoric on trade has become increasingly more populist in nature. Despite that, anti-free trade messaging began to take root within the GOP during the last election cycle. “We’re going to revive our manufacturing sector by saying no to bad trade deals and renegotiating the ones currently in place,” proclaimed now-RNC Chairman and 2016 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Charles Walker (R-CA) at a 2016 general election rally in Sandusky, Ohio. “... putting to bed the horrible legacy that the Clinton’s left behind.”

Trade overall as an issue proved to not be as significant of a campaign issue overall as pundits initially expected as both tickets spoke of trade in relation to a wider issue of revitalizing America’s struggling manufacturing sector. The National Republican Senatorial Committee did make trade a key issue in the waning days of the 2016 cycle, but did not provide policy specifics beyond acknowledging that existing trade deals have negatively impacted workers and that Democrats have inadequately addressed the struggles of workers impacted by trade.

Free trade and the exploration of free trade agreements have strong roots within conservative economic policies. Republican presidential administrations in the 1980s and 2000s both pursued free trade agreement policies, with NAFTA itself being proposed by Republicans in the late 1980s. Former Senator and 2016 Republican Presidential Nominee Katherine McCord (R-SC) was the first Republican nominee in recent history to express skepticism towards free trade but did not go so far as to call for the repeal of NAFTA.

The controversial proposal, known as the Repeal NAFTA Act, put forward by Senator Davd Stewart (R-PA), would withdraw the United States from NAFTA by ending Congressional approval for the agreement and require the President to inform both Mexico and Canada of their intention to withdraw from the agreement. “It is time to bring our jobs back and punish the companies that have stolen our prosperity from hard-working Americans,” said a press release from Senator Stewart’s office. “This job-killing trade deal must end, and I will work every day in the Senate to ensure it ends.”

The proposed amendment ending NAFTA without an alternative on the books elicited immediate negative reactions from the Canadian and Mexican Governments. “I think the United States unilaterally withdrawing from NAFTA without an alternative would be a significant mistake,” said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during an interview with CBC News. “It would destabilize our collective markets and ruin our collective competitive edge economically.” The Mexican Government cited concerns that repealing NAFTA without an alternative would force all three nations to revert to WTO rules around trade, which could possibly upend supply chains and disrupt production throughout the continent.

Various former Republican leaders have expressed similar frustration with the direction that a significant portion of Republicans as of late have been moving towards on the issue of trade. “Republicans like Dave Stewart and Jason Roy are destroying any credibility our party had on trade issues,” exclaimed 2012 Republican Presidential Nominee and former Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA). “Free trade is a core tenant of our party’s economic vision and their haphazard approach to the issue only serves to benefit Democrats who come off looking sensible in not unilaterally throwing NAFTA down the drain.”

The amendment has also faced severe and public criticism from traditional Republican interest groups, such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, in recent weeks. “Republican politicians in Washington supporting ridiculous and ill-conceived nonsense like an outright repeal of NAFTA, with no alternative to boot, is simply unacceptable,” said U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Thomas Donohue. “Rhetoric throughout the past year to now has eroded significant confidence from organizations like ours that Republicans are committed to free market principles and free trade. We have serious concerns about proposals like this and frankly, we are unconvinced that supporting Republican candidates in 2018 and beyond is beneficial for the long-term economic growth of our nation.”

Democrats have by and large opposed the amendment put forward by Republicans, citing the unstable reality it would create if it passed. Senate Majority Leader Alex Fakhouri (D-MI), when speaking to This Week on ABC News, stated, “What this proposes is millions of jobs gone in a blink of an eye and untold inflation, and the hardest hit will be the farmers all across the Corn Belt - including Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and so on.” Democratic voices have acknowledged a collective desire to reevaluate existing trade agreements but have not gone so far as to outright call for the repeal of NAFTA.

Democrats and Republicans alike do appear to have found more common ground on a separate amendment put forward by Senator Stewart, known as the End Outsourcing Act, that would seek to end outsourcing by corporations by financially punishing businesses that engage in the process. “It’s clear this Congress is on track to have a far more populist tilt compared to previous sessions,” explained CNN Host Jake Tapper. “What remains to be seen is how much political appetite on both sides exists to actually get these issues to President de la Cruz’s desk, or if she’d even sign them for that matter. The Chamber of Commerce fired a not so subtle warning shot as of late that continued action on the issue by Republicans could be a financial challenge for the party entering future election cycles. They aren't a group to just ignore.”

An issue that has been left relatively untouched since the early days of the presidential campaign season in 2016 has been the status of the Trans Pacific Partnership, or TPP. Republicans and Democrats alike have been relatively mum on the subject as TPP still requires approval from Congress. “Everyone is talking NAFTA, NAFTA, NAFTA as if there is not a significantly more pressing issue related to trade floating in limbo,” said former Labor Secretary Robert Reich. “Democrats and Republicans alike need to make their positions on TPP known, particularly the White House. If they do wish to move forward with TPP, I question whether it could get approval with this Congress.”

One signal regarding the thought process in the White House could be rhetoric used by Vice President Doug Murphy (D-WI) during the 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries. Now-VP Murphy actively opposed TPP throughout the early campaign cycle. As a member of the de la Cruz Administration expected to be a major player in manufacturing and blue collar policy, his position on TPP and trade in general could heavily influence the policies the White House undertakes.

A majority of 63% of Americans broadly favor reevaluating existing trade agreements on the books while a narrow 52% of Americans oppose ratification of the Trans Pacific Partnership, due in part to bipartisan criticism of the proposed deal during the early months of 2016. While nearly 42% of Americans favor getting rid of NAFTA, the percentage drops to 21% when voters are asked about getting rid of NAFTA without a replacement. 

• Like 1

image.png

Unpacking Leadership in the 115th Congress

BY JEAN PIERRE - Quarter 1, 2017

The 115th Congress commenced its new session on January 3rd of this year, signaling the start of legislative activities in the United States Congress. During this session, both major political parties selected their leadership teams. While the House leadership remained largely unchanged, with the addition of Jim Jordan being a notable exception, significant shifts occurred in the Senate leadership. However, beneath the surface, challenges and ambitions emerged, particularly within the Republican Party, as various individuals aimed to assert control and advocate for reforms within their party.

In the House of Representatives, the leadership landscape remained largely unchanged, with Speaker of the House Paul Ryan continuing to wield considerable influence. Despite facing internal challenges and external pressures from a small number of Freedom Caucus members, Ryan's tenure as Speaker demonstrated a commitment to navigating complex legislative agendas and balancing the diverse interests within his party. Democrats re-elected House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi after stiff opposition from Congressman Ashford and internal calls for leadership changes but ultimately retained her position, showcasing her adeptness at managing intra-party dynamics and maintaining unity in the face of ideological differences. However, the Senate presented a starkly different picture, with leadership changes occurring in both parties. 

With Mitch McConnell out, a leadership vacuum opened up in the Senate Republican Conference with several candidates vying for the position they could have won, or at least they thought. Many members came out early on in support of Cliff Flemming (R-AL), securing the bid with a clear majority voting in his favor. Fleming graduated from the University of Alabama (ROLL TIDE) with his B.S. in Political Science. After college Fleming, was a radio host on various political and conspiratorial programs, it was not quite coast to coast but was all around the nation. After years of just speaking about politics, he decided to take part in it. In 1990, he was elected to the House of Representatives representing the 5th district. He served for 18 years in this seat. In 2008, he ran for the Senate and won the class 2 seat. He is the most tenured of all people serving in a leadership position in this Congress.

Openly gay Senator from Ohio, Will Croft, was chosen as the Senate Republican Whip, but his appointment to leading Senate Republicans has not only come with major backlash from traditional conservative voters, it could cost them, in the long run, depending on how he performs. Serving his first term, Croft is very young. The youngest member in the Senate. Croft is openly homosexual. Croft attended Ohio State University graduating with a B.S. in Agriculture. Croft was a big supporter of the Tea Party Movement in 2010, which would lead him to serve as a representative from Ohio's 6th Congressional District. During his third term, he would serve as the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Work and Welfare. After Senator Rob Portman announced retirement, Croft would start his campaign for his seat in the Senate. Croft authored a book during his time in the House called "Our Forgotten Founding- Returning to the Principles that Make America Great."

The former Republican Vice Presidential Nominee is now serving as the RNC Chair. General Charles Walker came to D.C. with an outsider approach. Walker graduated from West Point with a B.S. and then earned a Rhodes scholarship and studied Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE) at the University of Oxford. He would graduate with a degree from here. Walker joined the army as  2nd Lieutenant in 1978 and continued to move up the ranks until 2007 when he would reach the rank of General. Walker was been a huge critic of President Obama. In 2014, General Walker wrote a book, "How to Secure America," speaking about his background and providing strategies to ensure the security of America moving forward. In 2015, it was rumored Walker would be running for President. Walker formally announced his candidacy in Los Angeles, CA. In January 2016, Walker placed second in the Iowa and New Hampshire primary while winning South Carolina. Walker would decide to drop from the race and endorse Katherine McCord. After McCord was announced the nominee she chose Walker as her running mate. After losing the race, the GOP would select Gen. Walker to serve as RNC Chair.

Democrats, however, have opted to elect a Senate Leader outside of the norm, electing Alex Fakhorui (D-MI) as the Senate Majority Leader. The now two-term Senator was born to immigrant parents of Lebanese background. He is the first Arab to lead one of the two major parties in the Senate. Fakhouri graduated from New York University with his juris doctor. He would become a paralegal with Brody and Sons for 4 years. Then became a private attorney with Brody and Sons for 5 years. After 9 years with the company, he left and became a public interest attorney for the Environmental Law and Policy Center for 11 years. He would also serve on the Michigan Advisory Council and Next Generation Advisory Council during this time. In 2007, Fakhouri became the Director of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. He would serve for two years before being elected to the Senate. Fakhouri is fairly young to serve in the leadership position, but he has the full support of the Democrat party. Fakhouri a member of the New Democrats faction, will lead the Democrats in the Senate.

Diego Everhart (D-PA) was elected to serve as the Senate Majority Whip, becoming the first person of color to serve in this position. Everhart is also a child of immigrants. Everhart served his first term as a Senator from Pennsylvania. Everhart graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1993 and from Princeton University with his juris doctor in 1996. Everhart was a state political staffer for 8 years working under Senator Arlen Specter. He would then join LIUNA as a Labor Rights lawyer. He was there for 5 years. He would then be elected to the Senate. Senator Everhart is a member of the Progressive faction. The Democrats have all 3 factions covered in leadership. Everhart is one of the younger members in the Senate and the youngest in the Democratic leadership.

Moderate Senator John Carlsen (D-IN) was elected to serve as the President Pro Tempore. Senator Carlsen has a distinguished career spanning over two decades in public service. Before his tenure in the Senate, Carlsen's political journey commenced with a six-year stint in the House of Representatives, where he garnered invaluable experience and honed his skills as a legislator. His commitment to serving the nation was evident from the outset, having graduated from Notre Dame in 1990 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science and History. Carlsen's dedication to the nation extended beyond the political realm, as he answered the call to serve in the Army after completing his education. Commissioned through the ROTC program during college, he demonstrated leadership and courage in various capacities. His deployments to South Korea and the Middle East, particularly following the tragic events of 9/11, showcased his unwavering commitment to defending freedom and upholding security. Transitioning from his military service, Carlsen pursued his aspirations for higher office. In 2004, he embarked on a new chapter by joining the active reserve list and setting his sights on the House of Representatives. His ambition and dedication propelled him forward as he successfully navigated three terms, culminating in a historic victory against the long-standing incumbent, Richard Lugar. Within the Senate, Carlsen has emerged as a prominent figure known for his moderate stance within the Democratic Party. His willingness to engage in bipartisan collaboration and seek pragmatic solutions to complex issues has earned him respect and admiration from colleagues across the political spectrum. As he continues to serve Indiana and the nation, Senator Carlsen remains steadfast in his commitment to fostering progress and unity for the betterment of all Americans.

Serving as the DNC Chair for the 115th Congress is Washington Senator Heather James. Sen. James is a graduate of UCLA for her undergrad. She attended UC Berkeley Business School where she received her MBA. James grew up in the top 1% of economic status. She is one of the single wealthiest members serving in Congress currently. James spent most of the 1980s working in the Seattle tech industry. She is the co-founder of Nexxus Capital, a venture capital firm. In 1992, James ran for Washington's 1st Congressional seat, after serving in the State Senate for one term.  Senator James was one of the youngest women ever elected to Congress. She would lose re-election in 1994 but go on to win in 1998. In 2000, Senator James decided to run for the Senate, after two terms in the House. James was very well known around her state. James would win the seat and has been serving there since. James has been Chair/RM of the Commerce subcommittee on the Internet for 3 Congresses and served as Chair/RM of the Energy and Natural Resources committee's Public Lands and Forest subcommittee before becoming Ranking Member in the most recent Congress.

The dynamic interplay of leadership changes and continuity in the 115th Congress underscored the complexities of governing in a polarized political environment. While established leaders like Ryan and Pelosi maintained their positions of influence, new leaders in the Senate who are faced with the challenges of legislating and winning the next majority, are also facing challenges from within their respective parties with tensions between established norms and the intricate web of party factions with its ever-increasing importance and involvement in Congress. As the 115th Congress unfolded, it became clear that the path to legislative success would require not only effective leadership but also adept navigation of the shifting currents within American politics.

• Like 2

image.png

The Senate Passes Tsunami Warning Education and Research Act and Enacts Preserve Access to Affordable Generics and Biosimilars Act

BY GEOFF FOUST- Q1, 2017

Tsunami Warning Education and Research Act

In a bipartisan effort aimed at enhancing public safety and awareness, the Senate has passed the Tsunami Warning Education and Research Act, a significant legislative stride toward bolstering tsunami preparedness and response across the United States. This landmark bill, sponsored by Senators Heather James (D-WA) and Camilo deSondio (I-CA) , underscores the nation's commitment to mitigating the impact of tsunamis through education, research, and advanced warning systems.

The Tsunami Warning Education and Research Act, also known as S.5, represents a comprehensive approach to addressing the multifaceted challenges posed by tsunamis, particularly in coastal regions prone to such natural disasters. The legislation encompasses several key provisions aimed at improving public understanding, emergency response capabilities, and scientific research related to tsunamis. One of the central components of the bill is the establishment of a robust tsunami education program, which seeks to disseminate vital information to individuals, communities, and relevant stakeholders about tsunami risks, warning signs, evacuation procedures, and post-event recovery efforts. By enhancing public awareness and preparedness, this initiative aims to save lives and minimize property damage in the event of a tsunami.

Furthermore, the Tsunami Warning Education and Research Act allocates resources for the advancement of tsunami research, including the development of innovative technologies and methodologies for early detection, monitoring, and forecasting of tsunamis. By investing in cutting-edge scientific research, the legislation seeks to improve the accuracy and timeliness of tsunami warnings, enabling authorities to issue timely alerts and advisories to at-risk populations.

In addition to its focus on education and research, the bill emphasizes collaboration and coordination among federal, state, tribal, and local entities involved in tsunami preparedness and response efforts. By fostering partnerships and information-sharing mechanisms, the legislation aims to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of tsunami mitigation strategies at all levels of government. The enactment of the Tsunami Warning Education and Research Act underscores the importance of proactive measures in addressing natural hazards and reinforces the United States' commitment to fostering resilience and preparedness in the face of evolving threats. With the implementation of this legislation, the nation is poised to strengthen its capacity to mitigate the impact of tsunamis and protect vulnerable communities along its coastlines.

Preserve Access to Affordable Generics and Biosimilars Act

In a significant move to promote affordability and accessibility in the pharmaceutical industry, the Senate has passed the Preserve Access to Affordable Generics and Biosimilars Act, a landmark piece of legislation aimed at safeguarding consumer access to cost-effective generic drugs and biosimilars. This bipartisan bill, sponsor by Senators Andrew Clarke (D-MO) and John Carlsen (D-IN) marks a pivotal step towards ensuring that patients have access to affordable medication options without compromising on quality or efficacy.

The Preserve Access to Affordable Generics and Biosimilars Act, also known as S.2, represents a comprehensive effort to address challenges related to market competition, patent abuse, and regulatory barriers that can hinder the availability of generic drugs and biosimilars. By promoting a competitive marketplace and removing obstacles to market entry, the legislation aims to lower prescription drug costs for consumers while fostering innovation and investment in the pharmaceutical sector. Central to the bill is the establishment of measures to prevent anticompetitive practices that delay or obstruct the introduction of generic drugs and biosimilars to the market. These provisions include provisions to address tactics such as pay-for-delay agreements, patent evergreening, and product hopping, which can stifle competition and prolong monopolies held by brand-name pharmaceutical companies.

Furthermore, the Preserve Access to Affordable Generics and Biosimilars Act seeks to enhance transparency and accountability in the pharmaceutical industry by requiring timely reporting of patent information and settlement agreements between brand-name and generic drug manufacturers. By promoting greater transparency, the legislation aims to deter abusive practices and facilitate the timely entry of affordable generics and biosimilars into the market. In addition to its focus on competition and transparency, the bill includes provisions to streamline the regulatory pathway for the approval of generic drugs and biosimilars, thereby expediting their availability to consumers. By reducing regulatory burdens and incentivizing the development of generic and biosimilar products, the legislation aims to expand treatment options for patients and drive down healthcare costs. 

The enactment of the Preserve Access to Affordable Generics and Biosimilars Act represents a critical step towards addressing rising prescription drug costs and expanding access to essential medications for patients across the United States. With the implementation of this legislation, the Senate reaffirms its commitment to promoting competition, innovation, and affordability in the pharmaceutical marketplace, ultimately benefiting consumers and advancing public health priorities.