Muffintop Baker (D-CO)

230609151331-boris-johnson-220707-file.j

Name: Adam Evan "Muffintop" Baker

Originally, Baker resented the "Muffintop" moniker, which he received during his troubled time in the Army. However, he came to embrace it as part of his comedic persona, and it became emblematic of his special brand of self-deprecating humor.

Seat: Colorado, Class 3
Political Party: Democratic

Caucus: Progressive Democrats

Place of Birth: Gary, Indiana

Residence: Golden, Colorado

Baker grew up in rural Indiana, during the decline of the steel industry in the United States. He currently lives in Golden, a Denver suburb.

Sexuality: Straight and married, with no kids (5 points)
Race: White (0 points)

Religion: Atheist (15 points)

Baker was raised Methodist, but quickly drifted away from organized religion during his teenage years. He didn't publicly acknowledge his atheism until well into his adulthood.

Educational History:

• No College Degree (5 points)

Baker had initially sought an education at Purdue University for architectural engineering, but was unable to afford the cost of tuition.

Socioeconomic History:

• Working Class (10 points)

Baker's father was a laid-off steelworker, who struggled to gain employment. Because of their situation, his mother also worked. Things only worsened when his parents divorced, which Baker blamed on their economic conditions.

Career History:

• United States Army Corporal, 1979 to 1981 (10 points)
  • HVAC Service Technician. 1982 to 1986 (10 points)
  • Stand-up Comedian, 1985 to 2006 (10 points)
  • Radio host of Unbaked Conversations with Muffintop, 1996 to 2003 (10 points)
  • Television host of The Muffintop Show, 2003 to 2006 (15 points)

Baker initially pursued a career as an enlisted serviceman for a shot at a better life, but received a bad paper discharge for substance abuse. He spent a number of years pulling odd jobs, landing a semi-permanent role as a service technician before diving into comedy starting with open mic nights. He spent time travelling the country before making it big in Denver, first landing a radio show before hitting national broadcast TV ahead of the 2004 presidential election.

Awards and Accolades:

• Life is a Joke (So Laugh a Little!), a New York Times bestselling memoir published in 2015 (10 + 15 points)

Published in 2015, Baker's memoir is a tell-all piece of raw honesty blended with his signature style of humor, telling a life story previously left remarkably private. From his troubled childhood to his struggles with substance abuse to his meteoric rise in comedy and politics, he leaves nothing unsaid.

Political Experience:

• Mayor of Denver, 2007 to 2011 (10 points)
  • U.S. Senator for Colorado, 2011 to present

In 2006, The Muffintop Show abruptly ended its syndication with a surprise announcement of Baker's mayoral candidacy. Following his election, he oversaw the campaign to host the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver and continued the 10-year homelessness reduction program of the previous administration. He declined to run for reelection, instead pursuing the Senate seat vacated by Ken Salazar.

Voting Record:

Total Points Expenditure: 100/100 points

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1

I really hope the admins demand a thorough explanation of the nickname "Muffintop". One doesn't just throw that out there. I get that he is fat, but still...I need to know!

And before anyone claims I am fat shamming, my pic on twitter is literally Kathy Bates covered in Saran Wrap.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KDD said:

I really hope the admins demand a thorough explanation of the nickname "Muffintop". One doesn't just throw that out there. I get that he is fat, but still...I need to know!

And before anyone claims I am fat shamming, my pic on twitter is literally Kathy Bates covered in Saran Wrap.

It's an old Army nickname that he embraced as a comedic persona. Nothing too sordid. The profile isn't quite ready for reviewal just yet; just didn't have any other place to put it!

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1