Press Office and Public Appearances of Senator Doug Murphy

s8lR9uM.png

Street-View.jpg

XvxiVKN.png

The campaign launch is hosted in the Beer Hall of Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Before speaking, Senator Murphy mingles with supporters and orders a Spotted Cow. Once all the supporters have assembled, Murphy bounds onstage to Curtis Mayfield's "Move on Up". He waves to the crowd and gives a thumbs up and a wink to his family in the front row and approaches the lectern...

tim-ryan-2020-midwestern.jpg

Thank you! It's great to be here in my hometown of Milwaukee, right along the shores of Lake Michigan. My family and I thank you for joining us here for the beginning of an incredible journey, but one far greater than just the Murphy clan or the people gathered here today. It is the shared story of every citizen, moving together as one in pursuit of a more perfect Union. It began not with us but centuries ago at Valley Forge and King Street in Boston. It carried on through Gettysburg and Omaha Beach. It marched onward through the striking workers of DiGiorgio fields and the civil rights champions in Selma. On that journey, we built the American dream, a promise to all that through hard work, honesty, and dedication to one's family and country, a better life would be in store. 

And so it is because of that promise and this critical moment in American history that I stand before you today and announce my candidacy for President of the United States of America.

I am running because you and I are not satisfied. Yes, America has taken many steps in the right direction over the last eight years. But I believe we are capable of more. I believe we are destined for even greater things. And you and I both know we will not get any closer as a nation to where we need to be if our working and middle class continue to be abandoned, marginalized, and left behind.

There's a reason why so many in America feel betrayed. And the reason is this: the politicians and the media talking heads in Washington and on Wall street have poisoned our airwaves and turned us against one another to distract the public from the fact they've sold out working people. And as we've circled the drain of bitter partisanship, we've seen our jobs, our livelihoods, and our children's future drained away by unchecked corporate interests. What began in the 1970s with the exodus of manufacturing jobs from the cities spread all the way out to the countryside. All of us have been impacted. And each and every one of you deserve better.

You deserve better than either four years of either passive moderation or distracted catering to the fringes. What this nation needs is bold action, fearlessly rooted in our national character and built with unwavering determination for real and tangible progress. And you deserve a president with a plan that can be implemented, not a parrot who can squawk the loudest on social media. That is why I am in this race. Because I'd rather be fighting on you and your family's behalf than quarreling with some far-right podcaster on Twitter. I'm here to roll up my sleeves and bring back earnest, good-paying manufacturing jobs with real pensions and benefits, not to own the conservatives or dunk on any fellow Democrat. All of us are in this together. And the only way we are going to come together again and write this next great chapter is we restore the promise of the American spirit. I am in this race because I believe the next great chapter of the American story depends on us.

Therefore, join me on this journey. Let's work together, march together, and build together the country that was meant to be. God bless you all! And God bless the United States of America!" 

Office of U.S. Senator Doug Murphy

Quarter 1/4, 2016

Statement on Flint Water Crisis

WASHINGTON D.C. — "This catastrophe is more than just a shortcoming of public infrastructure. It is a failure of our national integrity. Children in the United States should not be depending on pallets of Dasani for their drinking water. But here we are, faced with a culture of greed run amok that has betrayed our nation's greatest asset and moral fiber: earnest working families, specifically those living in Flint. And this sort of disaster could have hit any city, any town, any neighborhood. 

We as Americans used to care enough for mothers and fathers, for good working people, to afford them more than just the dignity of clean drinking water. There used to be the assurance of a steady job, pension, education, and healthcare. Because these aren't just towns on a map. The city of Flint, like my hometown of Milwaukee, is a family. And the promise made to the residents of Flint was betrayed by those in Lansing and in Washington who took them for granted. But we can restore that promise. It's what we were elected to do.

I appreciate President Obama stepping up to help. But $5 million is not nearly enough. I call on this Administration to deploy the Army Corps of Engineers immediately to Michigan. We need Congress to adopt an emergency relief package to give Flint residents the financial relief they are owed. I have already proposed we establish $100 billion for direct infrastructure grants each year for the next decade so we can modernize our infrastructure. Saving Flint should be priority one on the docket for any future disbursements of funds. And we should also establish a community development bank to help repair the damage caused to our neighbors in Michigan. All this is just step one. But it is a step that will prove as a key test of whether this nation's moral courage can stand up to the institutional rot and corruption that led to this crisis."