115th Congress: Morning Business

Jack

Seeing no alternate speakers, the chair recognizes the Senator from Montana

Thank you, Mr. Chair. I rise today before this congress to petition for one thing. The improved onboarding process for newcomers. Rule clarification and cohesity must be a top priority of this administration. 

I yield my time 

The Chair Recognizes The Senator from New York.

Thank you, Mr. Chair. I rise before this congress today to petition that the following bills be brought to the Senate Floor by the President Pro Tempore for debate. 

Training Highly Skilled Americans Act of 2017

Too Big To Fail, Too Big To Exist Act of 2017

Native American and Native Hawaiian Cultural Protection Act of 2017

Apprenticeship and Jobs Training Act of 2017

I yield my time. 

Posted (edited)

Madam President,

I rise to speak on behalf of people who suffered an historic injustice, specifically, the Miami Nation of Indians of the State of Indiana.  In 1846, some of the Miami people were forcibly removed from Indiana and relocated west of the Mississippi River.  A large number eventually settled in Oklahoma, thereby splitting the Miami people in two.  The Federal Government has recognized the tribal government of the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma since 1846.  The Indiana Miami were recognized in a treaty with the Federal Government as a tribal government in 1854.  However, the government terminated its recognition in 1897.  

On September 30, 1937, the Miami Nation of Indians of the State of Indiana was established as a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization in Indiana.  Their tribal government and organization are independent of the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma, and yet they do not have federal recognition.  The tribe has been working since 1897 to regain this recognition.  In 1980 the legislature of the State of Indiana voted to support these efforts.  And members of both parties in Congress from Indiana have supported this cause for decades.  

It is long past time to restore that which was wrongfully taken from the Miami Nation of Indians of the State of Indiana:  federal recognition.  I commend my colleague from the State of Washington, Senator Iyal, for co-sponsoring my bill that would allow for the Indiana branch of the Miami nation to once again apply for federal recognition.  And I encourage others in this chamber to do likewise.  

I yield the floor.

Edited by John E
I yield the floor added
  • Like 1

"Madam President,

Today, I rise with a heavy heart to address a pressing issue that has haunted our communities for far too long. We have seen the devastating consequences of migrant crime, and it is time for us to confront this reality head-on. As a moderate Democrat, I believe in upholding the rule of law while also advocating for compassionate and sensible immigration policies. But we cannot turn a blind eye to the dangers that unchecked illegal immigration poses to our citizens.

Allow me to share with you the tragic story of Margaret Kostelnik, a beloved member of the Willoughby, Ohio community. Margaret served as the secretary for the mayor for nearly three decades, dedicating her life to public service. Yet her life was senselessly cut short by the heinous actions of an undocumented migrant, Juan Razo. Before he killed Mrs. Kostelnik, Razo had attempted to rape his young niece. Margaret's murder serves as a stark reminder of the human cost of unchecked illegal immigration.

Sadly, Margaret's story is not an isolated incident. Over the past decade, we have witnessed a disturbing rise in migrant crime across Ohio. From theft and assault to drug trafficking and murder, the impact of illegal immigration on our communities cannot be ignored. And let us not forget the continuous rise in drug overdoses, fueled in part by the influx of illicit substances brought across our borders.

My friends, this is not just a border-state problem. It is a national crisis that demands decisive action. We must strengthen our border security measures and enforce the laws on the books to protect the safety and security of all Americans. That is why, if this body will not take up the issue of border security, I call on the president to take more forceful action through the Department of Homeland Security to address this urgent issue.

We cannot afford to allow undocumented immigrants who pose a threat to our communities to roam freely among us. Every instance of an undocumented immigrant not detained and deported, only to go on to commit further crimes, is an egregious failure of our duty to ensure the safety and security of our nation. It is one of the worst offenses of American insecurity.

As Democrats, we must stand firm in our commitment to both compassion and security. We can uphold our values of inclusivity and diversity while also safeguarding the well-being of our citizens. It is not a question of one or the other; it is about finding common-sense solutions that protect both the rights of immigrants and the safety of our communities.

In conclusion, let us honor the memory of Margaret Kostelnik and all those who have fallen victim to migrant crime by taking decisive action to secure our borders and enforce our laws. Let us come together as Americans, across party lines, to confront this crisis and build a safer, more prosperous future for all. Thank you and I yield the remainder of my time."

The Vice President, as President of the Senate, takes the chair.

During a recent amendment vote, the Senate gavel broke.

The President Pro Tem blushes.

The two previous Senate gavels were made of ivory, but in seeking a replacement gavel, we are today mindful that ivory is no longer a revered symbol of prestige, but a dreaded symbol of barbarous poaching. In 2016, the US Fish & Wildlife Service announced a near total ban on ivory imports and trade. As such, no ivory replacement will be sought. Instead, the Senate gavel will be made of marble.

*whacks, new, gavel*

• Like 3