Sign in to follow this  
Avner

Debate: S.20 Military Enhancement Act of 2019

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

Mr. Wilder of Utah, on behalf of the Secretary of Defense and the White House, for himself and others, hereby introduces

A BILL

To create a military force equipped, trained and manned to provide operations to, from, and in space for the United States and its allies; to compliment, support, and assist the entirety of the United States military; to enable lethality and effectiveness in join force with the United States Air Force, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the United States in the Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE

This bill shall be called the 'Military Enhancement Act of 2019'.

SECTION 2: STRUCTURE OF THE SPACE FORCE. 

1) The U.S. Space Force shall be lead by a new Undersecretary of the U.S. Air Force for the Space Force, whom shall report directly to the U.S. Secretary of the Air Force. 

2) The U.S. Space Force shall share the same structure of other military branches, with an active-duty, reserve, and National Guard sections; a membership into the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff; full representation via insignia, trademarks, and recruitment efforts. 

3) Any members of other branches of the U.S. Armed Forces transferred to the U.S. Space Force shall retain the same grade and rank that was held in their previous post. 

4) A Unified Combatant Command shall be established in accordance with the law, able to provide resources and assist in any and all activity of the U.S. Space Force. 

SECTION 3: RELATIONSHIP WITH NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES. 

The Secretary of Defense and the Director of National Intelligence shall create and enhance mechanisms for collaboration between the Department of Defense and the United States Intelligence Community in order to increase unity of effort and the effectiveness of space operations.  The Secretary of Defense and the Director of National Intelligence shall provide a report to the President within 180 days of the date of this memorandum on steps they have taken and are planning to take toward these ends, including legislative proposals as necessary and appropriate.

SECTION 4: BUDGET, STRUCTURE, AND REVIEW.

1) In accordance with the Department of Defense budget process, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the Director of the Office of Management and Budget a proposed budget for the United States Space Force to be included in the President’s Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Request.

2) The Secretary of Defense shall submit a full recommendation list to Congress, appointed by the President, of new leadership roles for the Space Force, including but not limited to, Undersecretary for Space, Chief of Staff of the Space Force, and Judge Advocate for the Space Force. 

3) As the United States Space Force matures, and as national security requires, it will become necessary to create a new separate military department, to be known as the Department of the Space Force.  This department will take over some or all responsibilities for the United States Space Force from the Department of the Air Force.  The Secretary of Defense will conduct periodic reviews (at least once every two fiscal years) to determine when to recommend that the President seek legislation to establish such a department.

SECTION 5. ENACTMENT 

This bill shall be enacted upon its constitutional passage into law

Mr President,

I move to amend as follows:

SECTION 2: STRUCTURE OF THE SPACE FORCE. 

1) The U.S. Space Force shall be lead by a new Undersecretary of the U.S. Air Force for the Space Force, whom shall report directly to the U.S. Secretary of the Air Force. 

2) The U.S. Space Force shall share the same structure of other military branches, with an active-duty, reserve, and National Guard sections; a membership into the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff; full representation via insignia, trademarks, and recruitment efforts. 

3) Any members of other branches of the U.S. Armed Forces transferred to the U.S. Space Force shall retain the same grade and rank that was held in their previous post. 

4) A Unified Combatant Command shall be established in accordance with the law, able to provide resources and assist in any and all activity of the U.S. Space Force.

I yield

On 4/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, Conrad said:

Mr President,

I move to amend as follows:

I yield

Mr. President,

Could the Minority Leader explain the necessity of this amendment?

I yield. 

7 hours ago, SWMissourian said:

Mr. President,

Could the Minority Leader explain the necessity of this amendment?

I yield. 

Mr President

The office is being created not as its own dependent branch, but as an undersecretary office within the airforce, therefore I don't believe that it requires the status and such of membership into the joint chiefs etc.

I yield.

Mr. President,

I second the amendment from the Senator from Washington.

I yield.

Mr. President,

I move to amend by inserting the following and renumbering accordingly:

SECTION 5: DEFENSE LASER APPROPRIATIONS. 

(a) NAVAL HIGH-ENERGY LASERS -- There is hereby appropriated $700 million to the United States Navy for the purpose of exploring, investigating, researching, and testing the possibilities and effectiveness of deploying High-Energy Lasers on board surface ships of the US Navy as a way to defend against cruise missiles and other emerging threats to said ships.

(b) ANTI-PERSONELL ELECTROLASERS -- There is hereby appropriated $300 million to the Department of Defense for the purpose of exploring, investigating, researching, and testing the possibilities and effectiveness of deploying large Electrolasers in anti-personell roles, such as crowd dispersion or the breakup of massed forces.

(c) ANTI-MUNITION ELECTROLASERS -- There is hereby appropriated $300 million to the Department of Defense for the purpose of procuring and issuing hand-held electrolaser devices designed for the purpose of clearing areas of mines or improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

(d) NON-LETHAL DIRECTED ENERGY WEAPONS -- There is hereby appropriated $300 million to the Department of Defense for the purpose of exploring, investigating, researching, and testing the possibilities and effectiveness of, or of procuring already developed units of, non-lethal defense technologies utilizing directed energy, including, but not limited to:

(i) Microwaves;

(ii) Ultraviolet lasers;

(iii) Electrolasers;

(iv) Other lasers;

(v) Other forms of directed energy.

3 hours ago, Sheridan said:

Mr. President,

I move to amend by inserting the following and renumbering accordingly:

Mr. President,

I second the motion by the gentleman from Wisconsin.

I yield.

6 hours ago, Conrad said:

Mr President

The office is being created not as its own dependent branch, but as an undersecretary office within the airforce, therefore I don't believe that it requires the status and such of membership into the joint chiefs etc.

I yield.

Mr. President,

I wish to thank the Minority Leader for his explanation. 

I yield. 

Mr. President,

Outer space was once a thing of science fiction. The Senate today is considering the creation of the Space Force not because we are trying to turn science fiction into science fact, but rather because space travel and space warfare has become fact on its own, and this august body is merely reacting to it.

Likewise, lasers, once solely a staple of science fiction, have come into their own as science fact. Lasers have an enormous potential for military usage, and unlike in the movies most of these uses are defensive in nature. Lasers deployed by the army or the navy could protect our men and women in uniform from enemy bombardment or attack. I ask the Senate to vote for my amendment and allow our forces to make the most out of modern technology.

Thank you. 

Mr. President,

I am not in favor of many parts of this bill but I do believe in funding NASA and even a "Space Force" because NASA has had many great practical uses such as the way we pave our roads now or the use of the MRI machine in detecting health issues for millions of Americans.  I, therefore, second the motion made by the Senator from Wisconsin and reserve the right to make further amendments to the bill to make this issue a little more bipartisan. 

I yield. 

Mr. President,

I would like to request if the author or anyone else have a rough estimate of the cost of enacting this legislation?

I yield.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this