Sign in to follow this  
DMH

Press Office of Bauer for California

Press Office of Bauer For California

Image result for Liam Fox

"The Choice for a Better California"

Bauer for California 1988 Campaign Platform

Image result for Liam Fox

Economy - California needs a Senator committed to leading the cause for tax reform that brings economic relief and prosperity to the American People. The Reagan Tax Cuts have disproportionately favored the rich and highest income earners in the belief that their economic success would "trickle down" to lower income Americans. I am committed to crafting a comprehensive restructuring of federal tax brackets that will provide middle-class tax relief for millions of hard-working Americans. I support expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit and increasing the federal minimum wage to $5 and tying it to inflation. I am a major supporter of cutting the corporate income tax rate to 25% in order to allow for our corporations to compete globally.

Health Care - Protecting Medicare and Social Security is essential for any candidate running to represent California in the U.S. Senate. Republican attempts to cut Social Security benefits and cut funding to Medicare must be repelled and I am committed to standing up to these forces in Congress. I will advocate for medical malpractice reform and making sure that prescription drug prices remain low. I believe that one of the largest sections of our community in desperate need of health insurance is our youth. I believe that we can develop a program, in partnership with HHS and states, dedicated to providing grants to the states that will be used to cover uninsured children.

Immigration - America is a nation of immigrants and California prides itself on being a melting pot of diversity. We must reject voices and ideas that seek to demonize immigration and its benefits on our society. I believe that the United States must invest more in border security to combat drug cartels and other groups that seek to enter our country along our southern border. I will also push for the expansion of the H-1B and H-2B Visa programs.

Government Reform - I am a firm believer in making our federal government as efficient as possible in order to best serve the needs and interests of the American People. I will advocate for legislation aimed at utilizing zero-based budgeting practices that will serve as the fundamental basis of how the federal government allocates tax revenue. I will push for more transparency in government through campaign finance reform and lobbying reform. 

Environment - Teddy Roosevelt is one of my biggest inspirations for entering politics and his commitment to conservationism ought to be a rally cry that both parties can get behind. Sadly, the Republican Party of the 1980s has repudiated the Republican Party of the past and has embraced a policy of allowing corporations to degrade our environmental quality for campaign donations. I stand in firm opposition to efforts by the federal government to open our coveted national parks to oil drilling. I will fight to help make California a leader in the fight for environmental security by opposing efforts to lax regulation on pollution while also advocating for global action to curb the rise in toxic pollutants. We need to also protect our deserts which is why I will fight to make our California desert lands classified as wilderness and national parks under the National Wilderness Preservation System. 

Crime - California needs a Senator committed to combating crime in our country. My main priority remains the curbing of illicit drug trafficking in California and across the country. We must stop the drug pipeline that flows from our southern border into our communities and that begins with increased border security and the authorizing of more operations to cut down drug trafficking operations. We must also work to establish community-police outreach initiatives to better the relationship between communities and the people they serve. I believe in community policing policies that can build trust and maximize effectiveness of our police operations across California and the country. I support the usage of the death penalty.

Education - Education is the future of our country and I am committed to giving our children the best quality education we can. I support increasing funding to the Department of Education and increasing funding to the Pell Grant program. I support policy that seeks to motivate states to invest more education funding into urban and rural communities to make sure that our urban and rural students get the same educational quality as suburban students. I support creating tax credits for teachers to acquire quality resources to use for their students. Giving our students a technological edge is a priority of mine and I will fight for legislation that makes technology a center piece of American education by providing top quality tech resources for our students.

Minority Communities - California prides itself on having a vast array of minority communities rich with traditions and cultures. The federal government must do more to insure that minority communities are treated with the respect and dignity entitled to them by our Constitution. I support efforts to pass the Civil Rights Restoration Act and oppose the Defense of Marriage Act. We must also continue to enforce the Voting Rights Act and pass long overdue anti-lynching legislation on a federal level. I believe that strengthening the relationship between local police forces and minority communities is essential towards decreasing racial tension and animosity that continue to have lasting effects on our state and states across the nation. I will also seek to empower the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice to investigate racially-motivated crime and weed out racial bias within police forces.

Infrastructure - America must engage in infrastructure reform if we want to remain a dominant global economic power. The state of our roads and bridges is disgraceful and the federal government has no concrete solution to maintain upkeep. I will push for a national infrastructure bank to bring new opportunities for states to receive infrastructure funding for major projects. I will also push for federal legislation that seeks to maintain upkeep of our ports and maintain our technological edge by equipping our ports and airports with modern technology.

Agriculture - Strengthening our agricultural industry is essential to California's economy and future prosperity. I will fight for tax incentives and credits to help our farming communities receive the necessary aid they need to maintain their way of life. While a supporter of free trade, I will work to insure that any trade agreement is done with the desire to benefit our agricultural industry, not reckless abandonment as we've seen with Republicans.

Unions - I worked with unions throughout my tenure as California's State Controller to identify the issues that matter to them most in our state. The union-busting tactics of the Republican Party must be repudiated which is why I am committed to fighting to defend our unions from underhanded tactics aimed at degrading their ability to represent their workers. I will oppose efforts to strip unions of their collective bargaining power. 

International - I remain committed to standing up against the Soviet Union and the spread of communism. I support disarmament negotiations with the Soviet Union. I support German reunification and the U.S. maintaining solidarity with pro-democracy forces in Eastern Europe. I am a committed defender of Israel and its right to exist as a nation. I believe in declaring Apartheid South Africa a rogue nation and ceasing economic ties to the country. I support free trade policy and expanding our exportation potential.

PR #1 - Bauer Criticizes Incendiary Language and Dog Whistles Used By Opponent at RNC

Related image

Sacramento - California State Controller Richard Bauer recently criticized what he described as "incendiary language" used by his opponent for the U.S. Senate, Congressman Jack Swanner, in his criticisms on illegal immigration. While also a proponent of strengthening border security, State Controller Bauer expressed his displeasure with the idea propagated by Congressman Swanner that a new swath of illegal immigrants may attempt to enter the United States due to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. State Controller Bauer's full remarks can be read below:

I am a strong believer in the rule of law and legal immigration, just as Congressman Swanner is, but the incendiary language he used at the RNC was nothing short of fear-mongering and I cannot support such rhetoric now or ever. To say that a new wave of illegal immigrants would exploit our compassion creates a false narrative that overwhelming majority of those who seek to enter this country have a malicious intent. Congressman Swanner and I both know that the vast majority of illegal immigrants are not inherently bad people. To insinuate otherwise is simply to feed into unfounded fears of a crisis that has not materialized at all in the manner in which it was described at the RNC. 

I'd like to read a quote directly from Congressman Swanner if I may: "If we don’t take action now, in 20 or 30 years we’ll have a country that you won’t be able to recognize." I did not expect to be running against a candidate who openly engages in dog whistle politics but I can't describe this statement as anything else but that. The rhetoric used by the congressman is the same rhetoric that fuels hatred and animosity towards immigrant communities here in California and across the country. I expect the congressman to make the claim that he was only referring to illegal immigrants but this is a clear example of why words do matter.

Public servants must consider how their words and rhetoric can unintentionally hurt communities in this country and the congressman failed in that regard. California embraces diversity and always will. I encourage Congressman Swanner to apologize for the rhetoric he employed at the RNC as such actions are nothing short of a disservice to the hundreds of thousands of immigrants in California who contribute to this state.

PR #2 - Bauer Addresses Social Security at DNC

Image result for Liam Fox Speaking

Pittsburgh - California State Controller Richard Bauer addressed the Democratic National Convention in Pittsburgh where he spoke on the issue of social security. State Controller Bauer endorsed John White for President of the United States before criticizing GOP efforts to cut essential programs like Social Security and Medicaid. Bauer outlined why voters shouldn't trust Republicans who claim to want to protect social security when they have consistently cut spending. His full remarks can be read below:

Good evening Pittsburgh! It's great to be here with you all as we get ready to nominate John White as our party's nominee for President of the United States. For those who may not know me, my name is Richard Bauer and I am proud to serve as California's State Controller! I'm honored to be sharing the stage tonight with the man that I know without a doubt will be the 41st President of the United States!

Tonight I'd like to talk to about an issue that I care deeply about and one that remains one of the most pressing issues of our time. The past eight years have been difficult for retirees across this country as constant threats of cuts to essential programs like Social Security and Medicaid are lobbed around by Republicans time and time again. This administration has found itself to be consistently in the corner of those that advocate stripping hard-earned benefits from retirees everywhere. Anderson Kaine pretends to be a different type of Republican but we know he's a wolf in sheep's clothing! A Kaine Presidency is a guarantee of four more years of uncertainty for millions of retirees about whether or not they can expect to have their benefits stripped away from them! 

Republicans are walking a tight rope this election cycle it would seem as they have all seemingly taken a one hundred and eighty degree shift from cutting government spending to protecting retirement benefits. Even they know that their agenda isn't popular with the American People so they pretend to care about retirees when in reality, they wouldn't even blink at the opportunity to privatize Social Security and Medicaid! We see through their trickery and deceit and that's why I'd like to send a clear message to voters across the country here tonight.

My message to the American People is simple, do you want a President who has consistently fought for essential services like Social Security and will fight tooth-and-nail to make sure that retirees get the benefits they deserve? If you answered yes to that question, the only candidate in this race that will deliver on that is John White. John White has been a consistent defender of retirees in Congress and on the campaign trail, talking about the issues that matter to them when most other candidates didn't even have the issue on their radar. John White understands that retiree issues are American issues and are deserving of attention and action! John White will work to make sure that retirees experience the fruits of their labor and that those benefits stay intact for generations to come! 

We must reject those who simply say things they think voters want to hear but have a record of doing the opposite. I don't trust Anderson Kaine to be the champion retirees deserve to have fighting for their interests in Washington! I do trust John White to put retiree interests at the forefront of his policy agenda because he has shown a consistent record of doing so! I know that retirees can sleep well knowing that John White will occupy 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue next January!

Thank you all and God bless!

Sign in to follow this