Sign in to follow this  
Recks

Press Office of Douglas Seymour for President

Douglas Seymour Presidential Launch

rick-perry2.jpg

A large crowd of supporters of Congressman Douglas Seymour is gathered at Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina.

Video montage plays, playing soft triumphal music in the background. It begins with photos of Douglas Seymour as a young adult, in his military uniform, before showing footage of the storming of the beaches of Normandy. “Douglas Seymour is a true American patriot who stood shoulder to shoulder with his fellow enlisted soldiers as they stormed Utah Beach.”

Seymour graduating from Clemson is prominently featured, followed by a photo of him working a late night at his law office. “A graduate of Clemson University, Douglas Seymour committed his life to public service and finding solutions to the pressing issues of our time.”

A younger Seymour is shown debating in the South Carolina legislature before a photo showing him and Senator Fritz Hollings. “Douglas Seymour not only has a wealth of experience and a stellar background, but he has a vision to propel America forward.”

The New Promise  logo  is shown on the screen, before a live announcer states: “Ladies and Gentlemen. Please join me in welcoming to the stage the next President of the United States of America: Douglas Seymour!”

Seymour walks onto stage, waves to the audience, and takes to the podium. The logo on the video screen fades to a live feed of Seymour’s address.

Thank you! Thank you all for being here today! Today marks the exciting start of a long journey, a journey which I hope we can take together. Today marks the start of a new era in American politics, an era where the American man and woman come first - before ideology and partisan identity. And today marks the start of my campaign to take back the People’s House - 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue - in 1988!

Friends, I believe that we are at an important crossroads in our nation’s history. Are we to abandon the very principles which have made this nation great and descend into an atomistic conception of a society? Or are we to work together to achieve the American Dream that we have fought so valiantly for since 1776?

I firmly believe that, despite the challenges of the past eight years, America’s best days are still to come. And I know that we can accomplish this only if we stand shoulder-to-shoulder, united in the common call for opportunity and prosperity for all Americans, regardless of their color or creed, regardless of their place of birth or background. Because all life is a gift from God, and we must defend the inherent worth of each and every American to achieve his or her American Dream!

That is why I am proud to announce that I am a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency - to bring the people back into the People’s House!

First and foremost, I will stand firmly against the trickle-down economics of the past eight years. I believe that America succeeds when we invest in the future of the many to come, not in the past of the few who have made it big. This idea spurred on Presidents Kennedy and Johnson a generation ago - they weren’t afraid to promote America’s long-term interests. And let me tell you, the Republicans who are calling for deeper tax cuts aren’t interested in our fiscal ship or your pocketbook. No, they’re interested in special carve-outs for the wealthy who are doing well already.

It is commonsense that passing multibillion dollar deficits, funding pork barrel boondoggles and pie-in-the-sky projects, is not the way to long-term economic growth. Instead, how about focusing on middle-income Americans, lower-income Americans, and those who fight on a daily basis to escape poverty?

That is precisely what I’ve been focused in on during my time in Congress. Just recently, my Fighting Childhood Poverty Act was signed into law by President Reagan. As a coalition-builder, I was able to bring enough Republicans on board to ensure that the President couldn’t veto my bill - and it is going to have a major impact on eradicating the scourge of poverty and joblessness here in the United States.

Another key piece of legislation of mine would benefit workers across the nation, particularly in the textiles industry. While Ronald Reagan vetoed this bill, sacrificing American workers at the altar of free trade devotion, I am committed to seeing protections put in place for our workers who are being undercut and replaced from abroad.

The contrast between the Republican vision of “do-it-yourself” and our shared Democratic message of “help-me-help-you” couldn’t be starker. Society is reeling from a lack of cohesion, and it’s no surprise that drug use and other crime is on the rise across this great nation. Educational opportunities continue to remain out of reach, despite tough Democratic-led efforts at reducing the cost of college. Family values and dinner table ethics are being lost on the upcoming generations because we no longer feel the deep burning patriotism and American exceptionalism in our veins.

But that is not an excuse for illegal overseas adventures like we’ve seen from the Reagan administration. Selling weapons to the Ayatollah in Iran to get around the law, and then attempting to overthrow a Latin American government is not good policy, and it is not what you should expect from a President of the United States.

I have served our nation on the frontlines during the Second World War - I know the gravity of the lives we put on the line everyday. But I also know that the Soviet Union remains an enemy of liberty and democracy everywhere around the globe. We cannot ease up, we cannot look away, and we cannot ignore the threat that is posed by Moscow.

As President, I will be laser-focused on national defense. That means working with our NATO allies to decrease the Soviet nuclear capabilities, to expand our own defensive abilities, and to ensure strong and versatile modern nuclear systems here in the United States. While President Reagan has devoted his energy to enriching defense contractors with unattainable ends, I will be a champion for cutting costs without cutting corners. Nobody - and I mean nobody - should profit off of geopolitical challenges or uncertainty caused by the communist threat in Eastern Europe.

Friends, I believe 1988 will be a year to remember. This election is not about blinding partisan labels - it is about who can get the job done. It is not about usurping governments in Central America - it is about fighting for a future in middle America. This election is not about tax cuts for Wall Street - it is about good jobs on Main Street.

Together, we will turn our back on the darkness of division and turn towards the bright light of unity. Together we will promote economic prosperity and opportunity for all. Together we will stand firm against external threats but also recognize the need to protect our communities from within. Together, there is nothing we can’t accomplish!

Thank you, Clemson! God bless you, and may God bless the United States of America!

Seymour Slams Goodman's Announcement Speech

140709201817-orig-5-reasons-gov-rick-perry-is-underrated-npr-00013026-story-top.jpg

DES MOINES, IA - Today, Presidential candidate and Congressman Douglas Seymour (D-SC-3) questioned the recent announcement speech of fellow candidate and Congressman Ari Goodman (D-GA-1) on a couple of important grounds - the platform used to announce and the content of Congressman Goodman's speech. "I respect Congressman Goodman and wish him the best in this election cycle. However, I cannot ignore the fact that he blatantly violated ethical rules and norms by placing campaign material in his press office and is challenging decades of best-practices in economic policy," Seymour stated. This first claim refers to the fact that Goodman included a copy of his announcement speech - clearly an example of campaign material - in his official congressional press office. "Look, I know there are a lot of rules that are part of running for President, but it is wholly justified to keep official business separate from campaign business. One day, Congressman Goodman is informing his constituents about the bills he's introduced, and the next day candidate Goodman is running for the White House," Seymour said. "I have asked the FEC to look into this violation, and also believe a full Congressional investigation of the Special Ethics Committee is called for in this circumstance."

As for the second charge, that Goodman is unjustifiable challenging economic best-practices, Seymour referred to Goodman's announcement speech. In it, Congressman Ari Goodman stated, "It would be folly for the government of the day to drastically  reduce interest rates." In fact, this shows either a lack of understanding of the way the Federal Reserve operates or a malicious intent to deprive the Federal Reserve of its independence and impartiality. "Us Democrats are proud of President Woodrow Wilson's establishment of an independent Federal Reserve, and our leadership on protecting and preserving the dual mandate. While Republicans like Richard Nixon have fought to undermine the Fed's impartiality, we have fought tirelessly to promote these essential decisions being made by skilled economists and technocrats, not politically-biased politicians and campaigners," Seymour said. "But now Ari Goodman is implicitly calling for an end to these protections. I reject this in the strongest way - and believe an independent central bank is a key to prosperity."

Seymour Unveils "New Promise" Platform

5570e498db705.image.jpg

DES MOINES, IA - Democratic Presidential candidate and U.S. Congressman Douglas Seymour of South Carolina recently unveiled his comprehensive agenda to move America forward, a plan encapsulated in his "A New Promise" message. The platform centers around Seymour's calls for "Achieving a New Promise" economically, "Supporting a New Promise" domestically, and "Protecting a New Promise" internationally.  As Seymour introduced his platform to a crowded audience in Des Moines, he spoke of the transformative effects he hopes his ideas would have on the American ethos and political environment. "This campaign is not about me," Seymour said in a press statement. "It is a referendum on the future of our nation, and whether we can put the people back into the People's House." During his campaign speech, he began by confronting the sad truth that too many forgotten Americans are facing before stating, "America - the home of the free because of the brave - cannot afford to wallow in individual despair but must strive to work together to accomplish this New Promise."

Seymour then spoke about his plans for achieving a revitalization of the American Dream, which include tax reform that benefits Middle America and an end to trickle-down, voodoo economics. The economy must be replaced "with a society in which anyone can get ahead," Seymour told his audience. Seymour's inclusive message extends to helping minorities and the poor reach new heights while families see greater safety for their children and a reinvigorated war against drugs. Moving to his plans to protect the New Promise, Seymour, an Army veteran who served on the beaches of Normandy, stated, "I have called out the egregious practice of giving arms to our enemies to undermine democratic governments, and will continue to fight for democracy." Concluding his remarks, Congressman Douglas Seymour said, "Friends, this message is one of unity and possibility. This is a calling for each and every American, man or woman, young or old, white or black, to reach higher - dream bigger. I promise you!"

Seymour Touts Clay's Endorsement

110922_clinton_perry_reu_328.jpg

DES MOINES, IA - Today, Congressman and U.S. Presidential candidate Douglas Seymour unveiled his first major endorsement: from Congressman Jackson Clay of Indiana. Congressman Clay represents Indiana's Second Congressional District, which includes the outskirts of Indianapolis and central-east Indiana - including Clay's hometown of Muncie, Indiana. "It is a great honor to have Congressman Clay endorse my campaign and my vision to extend a New Promise across this great nation. He's been a voice for rural America, for the Midwest in particular, and I am proud to have him out campaigning on my behalf in Iowa,"  Seymour said.

On the campaign trail, Congressman Clay could be found in Des Moines, Iowa, issuing an impassioned speech defending Midwestern Values and showcasing Seymour's commitment to these principles. Clay, the former mayor of Muncie, said, "I'm here speaking on behalf of a candidate who truly holds those values, even though he's from South Carolina. He's still a man who worked hard to get to where he is, and like the rest of us, he loves his God and his family." Clay continued, saying, "His opponents seem to be going out and pushing more for gay rights than to protect our families and make their lives better. He's going to make sure that federal dollars are given to states and school districts so that they can give their children the education they deserve." Congressman Douglas Seymour had the following to say about Clay's resounding endorsement and willingness to go to Iowa for his campaign: "I look forward to the Iowa caucuses, and continued support of Democrats - like Congressman Clay - from across the United States, from all walks of life."

Edited by Recks

Seymour Wins Big in Iowa, Leads National Polls

jwj-inauguration-0414b.jpg

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - Today, U.S. Congressman and Presidential candidate Douglas Seymour (D-SC) scored a major victory in the Iowa caucuses. In the four-way Democratic primary race, Seymour won over a third of the total votes cast, beating his nearest opponent by a margin around 7%. "I am honored to have come first in the Iowa Democratic caucus, and I am humbled that thousands of good-hearted, everyday Americans decided to support my bid to become the next President of the United States," Seymour said upon hearing of his election victory. "This is, of course, just the beginning of a long series of primary elections, and I am thankful for all of the volunteers and small-money donors who have made this possible so far."

Another exciting piece of information for the Seymour campaign was recently released, the ABC News/Washington Post national polling numbers. Douglas Seymour is leading the Democratic pack, with 27% of respondents indicating that they intend to vote for Seymour. That amounts to a 4% lead over the next two opponents, showing continued support for Douglas Seymour as he remains at the front of the race. He even scored a surprise second-place finish in New Hampshire, edging out the New England candidate by around 6%. "The call for a New Promise, a clear and well-outlined proposal for the future of this great nation,for the future of each and every American - regardless of economic background or social status - resonates with millions of Americans. I hope to bring this clarion call to the people across the United States. From the Midwest even to New England, and soon into the South, we have great energy going forward and I know we will do great things in winning over the hearts and minds of the American people," Seymour concluded.

Seymour Addresses Human Rights Crisis in China

rick-perry-l-reu.jpg

HOUSTON, TX - Today, Presidential Candidate Douglas Seymour weighed in on the emerging human rights crisis in the People's Republic of China. In an address, he slammed the communist regime and called for democracy to triumph in one of the world's largest nations. "Democracy is at the heart of my campaign to put the people back into the People's House," Seymour began. "But democracy is not a America-centric idea. It is an idea that deserves to be spread wide and far, and promoted abroad. The events taking place in communist China - the declaration of martial law, mass arrests, and purges of senior officials - are eerily reminiscent of Stalinist Russia. They have no place in today's world, and I condemn in the strongest of terms the abuses that we're seeing under the communist government."

Seymour continued his address in Texas on China, saying , "The protests at Tiananmen are essential to any free society, and I applaud those brave Chinese who are standing up to their government in a peaceful manner, demanding reforms and democracy. They do so knowing the potential for great harm to themselves, as evidenced by the despicable shelling of the Potala Palace - a religious monument that should be protected, not bombarded. But these protesters, inspired by brave men like Wei Jingsheng and Wang Ruowang, deserve to be heard. I applaud the actions taken by Western governments to punish communist China for its ongoing human rights violations. I also urge the President to take action, under the Radio Free China Act of 1987, which I cosponsored and is now a part of our nation's code, to promote democracy via the airwaves over China. Finally, and let me be perfectly clear that I am speaking to Deng Xiaoping: Your dictatorial grip over China must end before your nation is to be welcomed into the broader fellowship of peace-loving nations. Release the political prisoners, liberalize your economy, and most importantly follow your own constitution in protecting basic human rights. Until then, we must continue to win over the hearts and minds of the Chinese people for freedom and democracy."

Seymour Suspends Campaign, Endorses White

rick-perry-vs-mitt-romney-romano_xkeyn2

LOS ANGELES, CA - Today, after the exhilarating final stretch of the 1988 Democratic Primary season, Congressman Douglas Seymour (D-SC-3) decided to suspend his campaign for the Presidency and endorse his former primary rival, Representative John White (D-FL-18). In a statement issued to CNN, after Seymour clinched the final state of California, the South Carolina Congressman said, “I have formally called to congratulate Congressman White on clinching the Democratic Primary, given his delegates from Congressmen Goodman and Blackstone. [...] I wanted to wish him the best of luck in the general election. I also wanted to thank all of my supporters for their backing, and to promise them I'm not going anywhere."

Seymour, who won the most delegates throughout the Democratic Presidential primaries, came short in the final pre-convention dealing as both Congressmen Goodman and Blackstone endorsed White, giving the Floridian the needed delegates to secure the party's nomination for the White House. Seymour stated, "I've grown to deeply respect Congressman White throughout our time on the campaign trail. He never engaged in mudslinging, stayed above the dirty politics, and acted as a man of impeccable honor and great integrity. These traits are necessary to serve as President, but I also believe Congressman White's plan for a New Path Forward complements his personal character. He has an agenda to create growth for the working class, to reduce inequality in our society, and to help bring about cohesiveness as a nation. These are things that Anderson Kaine cannot, and will not, be offering come November. The choice is clear: I am proud to wholeheartedly endorse John White to serve as our next President of the United States!" As for his future plans, Seymour said, "I am still eager to see some of my legislative priorities be enacted into law, and I hope to continue to serve as a voice for Democrats across this nation. But for now, I think I'm going to spend some much needed time with my wife, Anna May, down in Anderson, South Carolina."

Sign in to follow this