Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ollie

Administrative Announcements

On 1/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, Reed said:

Fundraisers are due on the 28th and will be graded accordingly. They're due at 11:59 PM EST.

Guess I didn't advertise this enough. You have a one day extension.

I have removed inactive Republicans. If you are a Republican who thinks I have unfairly kicked you from the RNC rolls, let me know and I'll reinstate you. (Or sign back in. One of the two). Tomorrow, I'll do the Democrats.

A few notes.

• Your approval ratings are this Saturday. So be prepared, please. I'll look at a few key votes, your activity, and base it off that. If you've been inactive for a long time and are rejoining the game at large, I'd suggest a new character.

• Your fundraisers will be graded. I have a basic formula - quality, compatibility, making up 50% each of the grading criteria with a bonus for leadership thrown in (depending on how high up you are. I'm experimenting with this but it won't be so sizable that leadership is given a bonus just for existing - it's like on the order of $200,000 - $300,000, so maximum, you get something in the neighborhood of an extra $500,000 for leadership). Anyway, in the name of transparency, you get rated 1-50 on each category and given the leadership bonus if applicable. And there's your SIG fundraiser. And before anyone @ me, yes, I've underpowered them compared to party galas. Please refer to my fundraiser guidelines, where I remind you off season and non-candidate fundraisers are underpowered, because as I note, not all of you will run for office. As promised, I have kept the party fundraisers at normal power because they go towards the election funds, for sure. You are the guinea pigs - so hopefully this first round of grades work well and feedback is appropriate. Don't @ me but do feel free to offer feedback. So far, all of this is in keeping with the fundraising and transfer guidelines as stipulated in early January, so I don't think anyone will be caught off guard. Here are the rules for fundraising. Ask questions if you're confused.

• For note to myself or whoever runs the Presidential election: President Anderson Kaine and Vice President Abraham Saroyan are allowed to raise funds for re-election and use the funds towards their re-election campaign. (It's not unfair to allow incumbents to stockpile a warchest). Just as a note, I'm assuming the Democratic candidate will raise a lot of money as well as is customary for a opposition party nominee once the nomination is settled, so no, Anderson Kaine isn't going to build an insurmountable war chest.  As a note, they are not being graded as candidates because it's not a guarantee they will run for re-election until they announce. (When they do, assuming I'm running things, their campaign money will be significantly higher).

• In the event the grades are concerning to all parties, I will re-grade and re-evaluate everyone with a different rubric system. That said, I don't *expect* that to happen.

In conclusion, don't @ me.

Please don't miss the above announcement.

I have removed inactive Democrats. If you are a Democrat who thinks I have unfairly kicked you from the DNC rolls, let me know and I'll reinstate you. (Or sign back in. One of the two).

Brink has been added to the Administrative Board to handle domestic matters. A more specific role will be announced tomorrow for him.

Please welcome him to the Administrative Board

@Baudinhas time commitments that unfortunately didn't work well with his AB commitments. He will come back at a later date when he has more time. We wish him well.

Brink will head economics and budget for the AB. Bother him for your financial and budget woes.

The budget sheet has now been made available to the White House and Democratic leadership. The deadline for a budget will be March 1. For the ones that can look at the budget sheet, we have technically defaulted on our debt (don't worry, won't be any IC ramifications at this point). A debt ceiling extension will need to be included within the budget though.

Regarding @General Goose's nomination to Secretary of Defense, there will be a confirmation hearing unless Senate Minority Leader @Ollie agrees to bypass the hearing. The Minority has 2 days to make a decision.

As many of you know, I have been working on an audit/review/investigation pertaining to the 1988 election. I have completed this report, and I have submitted it to both the Administrative Board, the Owner, and now you, the members. Any lasting changes from this will be announced when deliberations and ruminations have concluded.

Thank you.

Final Report.pdf

• Thanks 1

So, first of all, I’m the “anonymous player” noted in the report. After much debate, I will set forth my take and a little on why I think Ollie did the very best he could in this election.

When the Republican Primaries were under way, I was the presumptive RNC Chair. During one point, Olliver had real life commitments and was strapped for time. I noted some error in his results that saw Vice President Saroyan underperforming in Maine (and I think, Vermont?) despite having mounted a campaign there. At this point, I reviewed the election results with Ollie and discussed with him adjusting the results and reviewing the performance of the candidate. Ollie consulted me in my capacity as a former Chief Administrator and Election Administrator and with my background in mind, he wanted someone to review the numbers.

I will say that I was privy to a number of conversations with Jacob Olliver during this campaign. The reason I was confident at the time was that Ollie expressed growing frustration at the complaints but believed it his duty to administer the fairest results possible. I gave this information to the AB in the name of transparency. I intend to regrade that election to make sure that everything was done fairly and correctly.

I believe that the full accounting of this election will show that flawed human beings tried to deliver the results they could. But I also believe the public has the right to know how the election went down and to have the full scope – and that is the only way we can move beyond the election.

Thank you.

So, we have come to this. 

I filed my report. It has, to date, been my least favorite thing that I have had to do as a member of this community or any govsim community. While I know this will not be echoed in the back rooms and what not, I liked everyone involved in this dispute and I sincerely wish that I had seen nothing, heard nothing, and learned nothing. This was not something that I relished or enjoyed, and put a weight on my shoulders that I never wanted to carry. 

People are mad at me. That’s something I hate, but I can not change it. I accept it as a reality. I maintain that my investigation and my findings were as accurate as they could be with the material available to me, but I hated doing that and I never want to do that again.

But I also know that hard, alienating decisions are part of being an administrator. If I can not do that and be at peace with myself, or handle the judgment of members of this community, then I do not believe that I am fit to act as an administrator. Ergo, I am pursuing this course of action. 

Reed has decided that we need two administrators for this coming election in order to prevent accusations of personal bias. I will assist Reed in this election. Then, I will be resigning as an administrator and I will, on my word, never resume such a role again. 

I love you all as a community, and most of you as people. I hope that, moving forward, we can focus more on love and mutual play than hate.

• Sad 4

Storm has asked for his account to be deactivated. It will be done.

So, here we are.

I have accepted Ed's resignation and Cyril has made his ruling. And I've updated the election schedule. And we've reopened the game. The pause allowed us to deal with the issues and to give us all some breathing room. (Your mileage may vary there).

I'll be direct. I share Cyril's belief that we don't know if there's a solution to this issue. The ruling last night obviously sparked intense responses and it is what it is. However, the underlying issues remain.

We are a small game of about five to eight dedicated active people who are active when there isn't an election. The recent conflict included two long standing groups, who have been here since Virtual America was in operation. Obviously, this means conflicts take a greater toll.

People need to understand that these genres have been steadily losing ground to more popular things. Kyle Fitzgerald mocks me saying "Put it on an app" but fundamentally, it's true. People, forum based games are a byproduct of an era where laptops and desktops were how we communicated with each other. They're from an era where smart phones were not even invented and emojis were not part of the international vernacular.

Writing press releases and issuing bills and debating them (much less debating them in the eighties and nineties) is something that requires emotional investment, time, and energy. Not only that sustaining a forum based game requires all kinds of time commitments that can't be put on an app. Consequently, not a lot of people do it. And that number won't increase for forum based games.

So, as we get smaller, we also become more personal. As I told people in my address on becoming Chief Administrator that long standing history has bred a sort of ease in having deep personal conflicts. As a note, they've always been around but we could easily weather them in a 30, 40, or  50 member game. Our problems increase in a five or ten member game obviously. The big factor is that people can exit and find other social mediums. People assume people come back but year over year that's increasingly less likely. Technology and political polarization and disagreement on partisan politics has ensured that.

Anyway. At this point I'm just going to state the obvious.

The solutions lie with the community. They lie with people who need to either care about rebuilding bridges (or not) and maintaining a community and maintaining the kind of respect for one another that is necessary for these places. The AB can't and isn't in the business of policing people and telling them how to behave towards one another (unless we have to step in) and more to the point, I don't want to police people for failing to have basic social skills to operate in a social group.

If you operate in an adversarial and hostile fashion towards others in a community medium that isn't in high demand I think the apparent response shouldn't surprise you - either disengagement (the route most people end up taking) or hostile push back. I feel this is basic social knowledge but apparently it needs saying.

Conversely if you are generally adversarial in a community that also breeds the disengagement and hostile push back. And obviously stated it's not helpful to communities that aren't in high demand.

Anyway, I'm not going to alter the stated course of plans. We'll be making a few announcements, such as election reform (two graders, taking different approaches) and complaints (all complaints from the election will be public as well as some recent ones, with personal information redacted). The schedule has been updated with Senate registration beginning tomorrow.

There's a whole segment on backrooms and cliques but that's for another day.

To conclude, the reset is in your hands and whether it succeeds and fails is entirely your responsibility as a community.

If you are interested in being our new administrator for foreign policy and the Executive Branch administrator, please contact me.

Thank you.

Everyone who isn't an admin should be demasked, if you are not, let me know.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this