Ben

Helping Others Home act of 1987

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

QUARTER 1 1987

Mr. Blackstone (for himself and others) introduces the following bill

A BILL

To provide for increased funding for shelters for the homeless throughout the nation

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE

This bill shall be known as the Helping Others Home Act of 1987

SECTION 2: INVESTMENTS IN SHELTERS

This bill grants additional increases in funding for the construction of homeless shelters throughout the nation.

a) designation of additional $50,000,000 to HUD for the fiscal year of 1987, for the acquisition, construction, maintenance, and upkeep of additional homeless shelters distributed throughout the nation.

b) designation of additional $40,000,000 to HUD for each of the fiscal years of 1988-1990 in addition to their allocated budget for the acquisition, construction, upkeep and maintenance of additional homeless shelters.

PES: Provides additional funding of $50,000,000 to HUD in 1987 to purchase and maintain additional homeless shelters throughout the country. Provides additional $40,000,000 for each fiscal year through 1990 for HUD to continue purchasing and constructing homeless shelters, and for upkeep and maintenance of shelters.

72 Hours to Debate

Mr. Speaker, 

I believe this is a fantastic piece of legislation, and I move for unanimous consent. 

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

I second the call for Unanimous consent and I request to be added as a co-sponsor.

I yield

UC recognized, 24 Hours to Object.

Mr. Speaker,

I rise first to say thank you to the members on both sides of the aisle who are supporting this legislation. It is critical in helping those who need shelter in this country, and it will be a start in getting those people back on their feet. 

Secondly, I am concerned about my distinguished colleague. She has now objected to UC on several bills without so much as a reason or defense for her stall tactics. These bills she continues to object to are all bipartisan, and essential in aiding Americans in their time of need. I shudder to think what the American people must be feeling, watching some in this body purposefully delay legislation that aims to put a roof over their heads. I also imagine they must grimace at the fact that the distinguished representative openly refers to you, Mr. Speaker, as "Madame Speaker" repeatedly. It is worrisome and alarming, as it seems the representative is not currently focused enough for the serious business of this governing body. I would hope that my distinguished colleague would choose to take this more seriously, and to better serve her constituents. If you have grounds to object to this necessary and critical legislation of aid to the American people, then the American people, and all of us here in this chamber, deserve an explanation of why, at a bare minimum. 

I Yield

• Like 1

Mr Speaker, 

I am pleased to announce on the House floor today that I am in support of this bill. This piece of legislation will help my constituents a ton. Washington’s 8th Congressional District has some of the largest homeless populations in Washington State and even though I may be somewhat skeptical of this bill, I put my constituents interest before mine and with the affordable housing crisis in my District, it’s causing more people to lose homes and a homeless Crisis is starting to build up in my District. If we don’t act upon this homeless issue, soon cities like Seattle and Bellevue will be flooded with homeless camps. We cannot let this happen, this Legislation is a good push forward and the people in my district cannot support it more. I ask to be a co-sponsor of this legislation and plan to vote for it when the times comes.

I yield. 

Edited by Zander Kahuhu
  • Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

My colleague from Massachusetts is right, I ought to clarify my objection to this bill. So let me do that now. I have no insensitivity to the plight of urban Americans who are struggling to find housing and end up without a home to lay their head. That is why I object to simply throwing money at the problem. There's a better way. We, as servants in the federal government, ought to support states in handling this extremely important problem. We ought to be encouraging the establishment of public-private partnerships to leverage funds for the establishment of structures that will help mitigate homelessness in local communities. We can do this in a more fiscally responsible fashion than simply authorizing the cultivation of government-run slums - which is exactly what this legislation will lead toward.

That is why I've risen to object to this bill's unanimous passage and will continue to oppose the legislation as currently written.

I yield. 

Edited by Christopher Williams
Correcting Blackstone's state

Mr. Speaker,

I return to the floor to announce an amendment I've worked on with our distinguished colleague from Washington. 

I offer the following amendment to this legislation:

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

QUARTER 1 1987

Mr. Blackstone, Mrs. Williams, and Mr. Kahuhu (for themselves and others) introduces the following bill

A BILL

To provide  for increased funding for shelters for the homeless throughout the nation  states with opportunities to cultivate low-income housing.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE

This bill shall be known as the Helping Others Home Act Low Income Housing Compromise Act of 1987.

SECTION 2: Block Grants for Housing Development.

a) $50,000,000 shall be appropriated to HUD for the fiscal years 1988-1998, for the purposes of the following provisions.

b) The Secretary of HUD (hereafter, 'the Department') shall appropriate the funds allocated in Section 2(a) for the establishment of block grants to states that present plans to the Department that cultivate public-private partnerships with housing developers in the construction and rehabilitation of low-income housing.

c) Low-income tenants of low-income housing shall not be required to contribute any more than 30% of their monthly income for rental purposes.

d) 'Low-income housing' shall be defined as any rental housing in which not less than 50% of its residential units shall be occupied by low-income tenants. 

e) "Low-income tenants" shall be defined as any employed U.S. citizen whose income does not exceed the area median gross income. 

SECTION 3. Permanent LIHTC. 

a) The Low-Income Housing Tax Credit created under the Tax Reform Act of 1986 (TRA86) shall be made permanent.

Plain English Summary: The Low-Income Housing Compromise Act of 1987 provides block grants to states to develop public-private partnerships with housing developers to construct and manage low-income housing units for low-income working people. It also makes the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, created in 1986, permanent.

I yield.

Edited by Christopher Williams

Mr Speaker, 

My colleague from California has proposed a reasonable amendment that makes the bill much better. I second. 

I yield. 

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

I must object to the proposed amendment. It chooses to distort this bill and place restrictions on ways that we can help the homeless population. They do not need block grants at this time, they need shelter, and a step up. Something like the proposed amendment would be something respectable to look at in the future as its own bill, in supplement to this bill and others that are in the hopper, at a future date. Right now we must do everything in our power to get these people shelter, and the bill in debate now does that in a much more efficient, and effective way as it is. I strongly urge my colleagues to reject the proposed amendment. I am certainly willing to debate it as its own bill at a future date though, if it is brought forth as such, and help to mold it and make changes to it as needed, in the future.

I Yield. 

Edited by FrankP
  • Like 1

Amendment recognized, please vote here:

Mr. Speaker,

While I cannot support undoing the underlying bill - which I think is a good step towards fighting homelessness - I am concerned by the fact that the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit is due to expire. This is an important piece of tax policy that can help our nation and the homeless crisis. With that in mind, contingent upon the failure of Williams 1, I move to add at the end of this Act the following section:

SECTION 3. PERMANENT LIHTC. 

The Low-Income Housing Tax Credit created under the Tax Reform Act of 1986 shall be made permanent.

If my amendment is adopted, I also ask unanimous consent that the PES be amended to include, at the end, "Makes permanent the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit."

I yield in hopes of a second.

4 hours ago, Recks said:

Mr. Speaker,

While I cannot support undoing the underlying bill - which I think is a good step towards fighting homelessness - I am concerned by the fact that the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit is due to expire. This is an important piece of tax policy that can help our nation and the homeless crisis. With that in mind, contingent upon the failure of Williams 1, I move to add at the end of this Act the following section:

If my amendment is adopted, I also ask unanimous consent that the PES be amended to include, at the end, "Makes permanent the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit."

I yield in hopes of a second.

Mr. Speaker,

I second this amendment.

I yield. 

Seymour Amendment recognized, please vote here:

Due to it being in order but recognized late, upon the completion of voting on the amendment this legislation shall go immediately to a vote by the full House.

Seymour Amendment adopted, bill goes to final vote, please vote here: