Sign in to follow this  
Tilsley

SEC Hearing on King Appointment

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

No, Congressman, I can say unequivocally that I would be fully capable to carry out the functions as Chairman of the Armed Forces, Foreign Affairs and Judiciary committee. I have been representing my constituents in Los Angeles and California for nearly twenty years -- be it on the city council, as Mayor of Compton, or now as Representative of the 9th district of California here in Congress. I was elected and I have been reelected three times. Prior to that, I spent nearly twenty years practicing law. I worked with the NAACP, the ACLU, among other civil rights groups in order to fight for the rights of black men and women across this country. I have dedicated my life to public service and I have dedicated my time and my energy to making this country a better place for my contemporaries -- to try and make sure they have a chance at the same opportunities that I had. My father always told me, when I was a child, that there is nothing stopping me from achieving my goals other than myself. I took that to heart and for the rest of my life, up until this very second, I can say that I believed that. 

Now let me be very clear. I would never accept a position if I thought I was being offered it for anything other than my ability and my knowledge. If I believed House Majority Leader King was appointing me to this committee because of our relationship, because we are brothers, there would be no question -- I wouldn't have accepted. The committee which I previously Chaired, and many of its members, have worked tirelessly to tarnish my reputation and throw out the twenty years of public service I've committed to. They've ignored my qualifications, they have made up my motivations for themselves, and they've relentlessly questioned my integrity and the integrity of my family. I've worked my entire life to build a reputation as a man who works for his family, as a man who dedicates his life to public service, and as a man who believes he can make a difference. That's what I've done. The character assassination of myself over the course of the past month, since this Congress began, has been grotesque in nature. There have been outright accusations of corruption based on no evidence, based on no actual wrong-doing, based on nothing more than a preconceived notion of nepotism. 

I've achieved everything in my life through hard work and determination -- not nepotism. I graduated from Morehouse and later Stanford because I studied, I worked, and I made it a priority in life -- not because of nepotism. I spent twenty years in public service and have won more than five elections because of the reputation I built, the policies I represented, and the people who turned out to vote for me -- not because of nepotism. And yes, I became Chairman of the Armed Forces, Foreign Affairs and Judiciary committee because of my history in public service, because of my tenure in Congress -- NOT because of nepotism. It was asked earlier why House Majority Leader King got 'defensive' when asked about nepotism. Well, Congressman, I can tell you why. I am defensive today because I am quite frankly revolted at the tone of this hearing, at the tone of the questions coming from members of this committee.

I am revolted at the erroneous, baseless, unfounded accusations that have been thrown around in the media. I am absolutely appalled that my reputation, twenty long years of public service and twenty long years of working for my constituents has been tainted because of this. It's an outrage. The bigots that exist in this country are having a hardy laugh today because of this hearing and the tone it has taken on. I was more than happy to personally open this investigation into this matter and provide the responsibility of that investigation to the minority party, so as to ensure there was no question about the integrity of the investigation. What has since proceeded has been a disgraceful and overtly partisan attempt to try and further tarnish my reputation as well as the reputation of House Majority Leader King. I am not sure, quite frankly, what the aim of this investigation even is anymore -- other than what I've described. 

Thank you congressman.

Let me take it one step further, was there ever any negotiating between yourself and your brother over appointments? What I mean, was there ever any discussion between you and your brother prior to your appointment, about you serving on a committee as a chairman? Outside of your application for the chairmanship? 

18 minutes ago, FrankP said:

Thank you congressman.

Let me take it one step further, was there ever any negotiating between yourself and your brother over appointments? What I mean, was there ever any discussion between you and your brother prior to your appointment, about you serving on a committee as a chairman? Outside of your application for the chairmanship? 

No, Congressman.

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

No, Congressman.

Did you and your brother ever have any conversations from the time applications opened to the moment they closed?

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Did you and your brother ever have any conversations from the time applications opened to the moment they closed?

From my recollection, I believe it's likely we did -- be it in a group setting or privately. I can't recall specifics of every conversation I've had between arbitrary timeframes, however, unfortunate as it might be. 

55 minutes ago, Ollie said:

From my recollection, I believe it's likely we did -- be it in a group setting or privately. I can't recall specifics of every conversation I've had between arbitrary timeframes, however, unfortunate as it might be. 

Hardly arbitrary Congressman. In fact this timeframe is very relevant to the issue at the core of this hearing. And would you affirm to the committee that conversations during this time frame in a group or private setting did not in any way relate to your appointment as Chairman of the ASFAJ Committee?

5 hours ago, Conrad said:

Hardly arbitrary Congressman. In fact this timeframe is very relevant to the issue at the core of this hearing. And would you affirm to the committee that conversations during this time frame in a group or private setting did not in any way relate to your appointment as Chairman of the ASFAJ Committee?

They did not. 

1 hour ago, Storm said:

OOC:(This is fun and all but I would like to put an end to this) 

((Have a member of the committee motion to adjourn, then.))

((More like have your chairman do it, since it was a timed hearing that is over now))

3 hours ago, MrAnderson said:

((More like have your chairman do it, since it was a timed hearing that is over now))

((sassy))

• Haha 1

Point of Information Mr Chairman 

Given that the Assistant Attorney General has not submitted an opinion to the committee, A motion that was made well within the timeframe of the committee, will he still have a chance to present it?

((I'm going to assume @DMH hasn't got around to it.))

The Assistant AG is welcome to submit a report if he wishes. A copy will be distributed to each member of the committee.

@DMH

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this