Sign in to follow this  
Tilsley

SEC Hearing on King Appointment

Thank You Mr. Leader,

Representative King, 

To your knowledge, was there any essential duties of the leadership position you were appointed to that you would have not been able to carry out to the appropriate and expected levels required of serving in that position? 

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

What exactly does that answer mean? Forgive me but it's rather oxymoronic. You would break a law by resisting a lawful congressional subpoena but by adhering to it you would violate another person's privacy. Could you please clarify that answer for me?

Congressman, I'm sorry but my answer isn't oxymoronic but is actually the correct procedure that this body will have to follow to get that list as I do not believe I have the authority to reveal that list without the consent of the people who signed up for it. I believe the best course of action will be to go directly to the party to get permission from all of the individuals to be revealed as candidates.  

Just now, Storm said:

Congressman, I'm sorry but my answer isn't oxymoronic but is actually the correct procedure that this body will have to follow to get that list as I do not believe I have the authority to reveal that list without the consent of the people who signed up for it. I believe the best course of action will be to go directly to the party to get permission from all of the individuals to be revealed as candidates.  

So with that logic can John Poindexter refuse to give information about Iran-Contra if Oliver North doesn't agree with it's disclosure... even with a subpoena from Congress? I'm just trying to work out your position on the scope of subpoenas here. 

7 minutes ago, Conrad said:

What made him qualified?

Well for one the number one requirement to be a committee chair is to be an elected congressman. Congressman King's record as a lawyer, mayor, marketing manager, law firm partner, city councilman, and House of Representatives congressman since 1981 portrayed him to be truly qualified. 

1 minute ago, Conrad said:

So with that logic can John Poindexter refuse to give information about Iran-Contra if Oliver North doesn't agree with it's disclosure... even with a subpoena from Congress? I'm just trying to work out your position on the scope of subpoenas here. 

I am sorry sir, but I am not currently involved in the proceedings of the Iran-Contra investigations and I believe that these matters are both different and are on an entirely different magnitude. I rather keep these hearing on this situation than on hypotheticals currently on-going with other proceedings.

Even with a subpoena from Congress proper protocol has to be followed, as we have seen before even subpoenas can be used in unethical and unwarranted ways. I do believe that if you would like the names of the people who applied for the position, that you should directly contact the Democratic party and ask them to get that information for you. Surely there is nothing to hide, I just rather things be done in a coherent and proper manner.

2 minutes ago, Storm said:

Well for one the number one requirement to be a committee chair is to be an elected congressman. Congressman King's record as a lawyer, mayor, marketing manager, law firm partner, city councilman, and House of Representatives congressman since 1981 portrayed him to be truly qualified. 

I want to draw your attention to the letter submitted by Rep. Seymour to the ASFAJ committee. Do you dispute that 6 people signed up to chair that committee?

Just now, Conrad said:

I want to draw your attention to the letter submitted by Rep. Seymour to the ASFAJ committee. Do you dispute that 6 people signed up to chair that committee?

Thank you, Congressman, may I see the letter please?, so I can follow along and answer your questions?

Just now, Storm said:

I am sorry sir, but I am not currently involved in the proceedings of the Iran-Contra investigations and I believe that these matters are both different and are on an entirely different magnitude. I rather keep these hearing on this situation than on hypotheticals currently on-going with other proceedings.

Even with a subpoena from Congress proper protocol has to be followed, as we have seen before even subpoenas can be used in unethical and unwarranted ways. I do believe that if you would like the names of the people who applied for the position, that you should directly contact the Democratic party and ask them to get that information for you. Surely there is nothing to hide, I just rather things be done in a coherent and proper manner.

Are you saying that signed, sealed and authorized subpoenas from the United States Congress aren't coherent and proper? Given that you refuse to give up the information in a voluntary manner, this may be necessary. Would you challenge the validity of such subpoena?

Just now, Conrad said:

**An aide would give you a letter watermarked with committee confidential as it was a closed door standards hearing**

http://virtualgovernment.us/topic/4524-letter-to-chairman-and-ranking-member/

Thank you so much, Congressman, as I don't have the list on me I can't answer indefinitely, but we could say it may be around the number of 6.

Leader King,

What would you consider qualified, to lead a committee in the House of Representatives?

Mr. Leader,

Is there to your knowledge any requirement that a leader of a committee have experience in serving in the U.S. Army or any branch of military prior to their appointment? 

Is there to your knowledge any requirement that a leader serves a certain amount of time in the congress prior to their appointment?

And to your knowledge, is there any requirement that the first person applying for an appointment, must receive that appointment to leadership? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FrankP said:

Mr. Leader,

Is there to your knowledge any requirement that a leader of a committee have experience in serving in the U.S. Army or any branch of military prior to their appointment? 

Is there to your knowledge any requirement that a leader serves a certain amount of time in the congress prior to their appointment?

And to your knowledge, is there any requirement that the first person applying for an appointment, must receive that appointment to leadership? 

Thank you for your question Congressman, to my knowledge there is no set "criteria" established by Congressional rules to pick who may serve on a committee or even chair one. That power is solely left upon the House Majority Leader and the House Minority Leader. The only criteria that we know of but not officially written into the books is that the person selected to head the committee should be an elected official of the congressional chamber of which the committee derives from. The basis of my criteria was based on giving everyone a fair and equal chance to be apart of leadership, but I also kept in mind  a person's expertise in certain areas.  From what I remember some of the people who did want to chair the committee also had the HELP committee as their preferred committee, so I ended up putting them there, with a chance to serve as chair at a future date.

Edited by Storm

27 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Leader King,

What would you consider qualified, to lead a committee in the House of Representatives?

Thank you for the question Congressman, qualified in the eyes of many different Majority and Minority Leaders is subjective. I personally looked for experience in the Congress, ability to lead within the Democratic caucus, employment track record and more. But that was only a segment in my decision making as I did not want to give priority to anyone who ran for leadership and who won a leadership position. I believe in spreading out the opportunities to lead and serve in a committee.

59 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Are you saying that signed, sealed and authorized subpoenas from the United States Congress aren't coherent and proper? Given that you refuse to give up the information in a voluntary manner, this may be necessary. Would you challenge the validity of such subpoena?

@Storm

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

@Storm

I certainly do understand your concern Senator, but that isn't at all what I said. There are procedures which must be followed. I can tell you how I made my decision, but I do feel like everyone who signed up on that list should be able to have a say on whether they want their names to be apart of these proceedings.

The power of subpoenas within this body is clearly defined. I, however, would like to know what is the aim of this investigation?. I have not broken any laws and I have used my powers ethically. Why am I here?

1 minute ago, Storm said:

I certainly do understand your concern Senator, but that isn't at all what I said. There are procedures which must be followed. I can tell you how I made my decision, but I do feel like everyone who signed up on that list should be able to have a say on whether they want their names to be apart of these proceedings.

The power of subpoenas within this body is clearly defined. I, however, would like to know what is the aim of this investigation?. I have not broken any laws and I have used my powers ethically. Why am I here?

Congressman, do you believe a Congressional subpoena to be valid in order to summon information, even when those may not want to release the information?

This committee has been convened to investigate - proper - the allegations of nepotism which have included yourself and your brother, Congressman Reginald King. I wouldn't be so sure as to conclude that you have used your power of patronage power ethically Congressman, we have not prejudiced the outcome of these proceedings and neither should you. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Congressman, do you believe a Congressional subpoena to be valid in order to summon information, even when those may not want to release the information?

This committee has been convened to investigate - proper - the allegations of nepotism which have included yourself and your brother, Congressman Reginald King. I wouldn't be so sure as to conclude that you have used your power of patronage power ethically Congressman, we have not prejudiced the outcome of these proceedings and neither should you. 

Thank you for informing me of what these proceedings are for Congressman. Well since we are here to talk about nepotism, I would much rather we discuss the situation at hand and not the use of subpoenas which is already defined by codified law.

As you would not be sure that I did not use my powers ethically, you also cannot be sure that I did not use them ethically. Is there any evidence of nepotism?, such as recordings, written statements, or any piece of evidence that shows that I committed nepotism or broke any law?. I believe that we both hold a certain type of reverence for our nations justice system, and definitely do believe that a person should, in fact, be "innocent till proven guilty", and I am innocent of any acts of nepotism or corruption. 

Edited by Storm

Just now, Storm said:

Thank you for informing me of what these proceedings are for Congressman. Well since we are here to talk about nepotism, I would much rather we discuss the situation at hand and not the use of subpoenas which is already defined by codified law.

As you would not be sure that I did not use my powers ethically, you also cannot be sure that I did not use then ethically. Is there any evidence of nepotism?, such as recordings, written statements, or any piece of evidence that shows that I committed nepotism or broke any law?. I believe that we both hold a certain type of reverence for our nations justice system, and definitely do believe that a person should, in fact, be "innocent till proven guilty", and I am innocent of any acts of nepotism or corruption. 

That's just it Congressman and honestly, I do believe in being innocent till proven guilty which is why I do believe you're innocent. And I too believe that we should get and garner evidence and examine it against the facts of this case. But we've established that you will not, voluntarily, hand over to the committee the documents which relate to the appointment process of the Democratic National Committee (or house caucus) the committee appointment process. The conversation we just had about subpoenas has been made integral to this case since you will not do it voluntarily, it was important to note, for the record, if you would then resist such a subpoena being issued by the committee. So as you sit in that chair and talk about evidence, how about you actually give us the evidence so we can get to the bottom of this and clear your good name if you are in fact innocent as your profess?

Just now, Conrad said:

That's just it Congressman and honestly, I do believe in being innocent till proven guilty which is why I do believe you're innocent. And I too believe that we should get and garner evidence and examine it against the facts of this case. But we've established that you will not, voluntarily, hand over to the committee the documents which relate to the appointment process of the Democratic National Committee (or house caucus) the committee appointment process. The conversation we just had about subpoenas has been made integral to this case since you will not do it voluntarily, it was important to note, for the record, if you would then resist such a subpoena being issued by the committee. So as you sit in that chair and talk about evidence, how about you actually give us the evidence so we can get to the bottom of this and clear your good name if you are in fact innocent as your profess?

I am certainly glad that we agree Congressman that I am innocent. I also never said I wouldn't voluntarily give up everything, I said I wasn't sure if I had the jurisdiction to provide such documents, but further research  has revealed that I can give information that is of official business of the  House 

Hand over list https://imgur.com/a/CX6YNGt-

2 minutes ago, Storm said:

I am certainly glad that we agree Congressman that I am innocent. I also never said I wouldn't voluntarily give up everything, I said I wasn't sure if I had the jurisdiction to provide such documents, but further research  has revealed that I can give information that is of official business of the  House 

Hand over list https://imgur.com/a/CX6YNGt-

Was that so hard? *laughs* So you maintain that you operated the selection of committee chairs on the basis of the experience criteria you listed above? 

1 minute ago, Conrad said:

Was that so hard? *laughs* So you maintain that you operated the selection of committee chairs on the basis of the experience criteria you listed above? 

*chuckles* we need to make sure everything we do is by the book. My selection was based on experiences, experience relevant to the committee, not giving priority to House and party leadership, and not giving priority to anyone who has run for a leadership position, to give those who did not run a chance to be a part of leadership in some type of capacity.

3 minutes ago, Storm said:

*chuckles* we need to make sure everything we do is by the book. My selection was based on experiences, experience relevant to the committee, not giving priority to House and party leadership, and not giving priority to anyone who has run for a leadership position, to give those who did not run a chance to be a part of leadership in some type of capacity.

So this criteria you have created, when you exclude the people that were affected by it, who did that leave, from the six people we've agreed submitted their name still I guess "qualified" under your criteria? 

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

So this criteria you have created, when you exclude the people that were affected by it, who did that leave, from the six people we've agreed submitted their name still I guess "qualified" under your criteria? 

That left 4 people and two of whom were appointed as chairs of ASFAJ and HELP respectively. One of the four is currently the chair of this committee.The fourth is now resigned.

Just now, Storm said:

That left 4 people and two of whom were appointed as chairs of ASFAJ and HELP respectively. One of the four is currently the chair of this committee.The fourth is now resigned.

Can you tell me the names of the 4 people that were left?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this