Sign in to follow this  
Tilsley

SEC Hearing on King Appointment

The following is a hearing of the House Select Ethics Committee regarding the allegation of nepotism based on the appointment of Reginald King of California to a leadership position by his brother, Representative Augustus King also of California.

The chair of this committee calls upon the following to present themselves to the committee:

• Representative Augustus King of California
  • Representative Reginald King of California

They have 24 hours to appear before the committee and present their opening statements. If neither appear within the time period, this hearing will be dismissed. 

After opening statements, there will be a 24 hour period for questions/debate.

((Before we start, I want the players on the committee to and all people brought before it to be made aware of the VGS Rules regarding telegram conversations))

5. IN-CHARACTER COMMUNICATIONS.

Players may engage in in-character communications outside the in-character forums via any medium including personal message, telegram, and posts in the party headquarters. A communication between players is treated as a communication between those players' characters if the communications is intended to be in-character. A communication between players is also treated as a communication between those players' characters if the communication focuses on in-character matters like strategizing, negotiating, or exchanging information. You should when conducting communications that would qualify as in-character communications specify which of your characters is conducting the communications. The Administrative Board will otherwise in the case of a dispute determine which of your characters was communicating based upon an analysis of the totality of the circumstances.

The Administrative Board treats in-character communications differently depending on the medium. In-character communications via personal messenger are treated as formal, written communications between characters. Generally, you may edit a personal message for only five minutes after making that message, except where the message would in real life be changeable at a later time by the author. In-character communications via other mediums including telegram and the party headquarters are treated as informal, verbal, unrecorded conversations between characters. Your character can say whatever s/he wishes about such a conversation, but cannot provide any verification that either the confirmation occurred or that certain words were spoken during the conversation. Your character cannot post a transcript of the conversation. The media and public may or may not believe your character's claims that a conversation occurred or that certain things were said in that conversation; ultimately, it will be a matter of spin.

Congressman King (@Ollie), 

Can you describe any communication you may have had with your brothers, both Leader King and former Speaker King, about your desire to be named a Committee Chair? 

Leader King (@Storm), 

Other members of the Democratic House Caucus contended that your prior statements that your brother was the first person to request to chair a House Committee was inaccurate. Can you clarify that timetable? 

Mr. Chairman (@Tilsley), 

I also would like to move for a 72-hour extension of this hearing. Justice cannot be rushed, and a 24 hour clock does not even remotely seem an appropriate amount of time to find answers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrAnderson said:

Mr. Chairman (@Tilsley), 

I also would like to move for a 72-hour extension of this hearing. Justice cannot be rushed, and a 24 hour clock does not even remotely seem an appropriate amount of time to find answers. 

I second this motion if necessary Mr Chairman. 

1 minute ago, MrAnderson said:

Leader King (@Storm), 

Other members of the Democratic House Caucus contended that your prior statements that your brother was the first person to request to chair a House Committee was inaccurate. Can you clarify that timetable? 

Congressman Reginald King was the second person to apply for the position. The first being the current Majority Whip Congressman Thomas Blackstone. As Congressman Blackstone won his position as the whip, he was automatically ruled out of consideration for chair, which then made Congressman Reginald King number 1 on the list. I alerted the party of the sign-up, and everyone signed up on their own leisure.

Just now, Storm said:

Congressman Reginald King was the second person to apply for the position. The first being the current Majority Whip Congressman Thomas Blackstone. As Congressman Blackstone won his position as the whip, he was automatically ruled out of consideration for chair, which then made Congressman Reginald King number 1 on the list. I alerted the party of the sign-up, and everyone signed up on their own leisure.

Thank you, Mr. Leader, for the clarification on that. It appeared to be major point of contention in the public. 

Were other members of the House Democratic Caucus interested in the position? 

1 minute ago, MrAnderson said:

Thank you, Mr. Leader, for the clarification on that. It appeared to be major point of contention in the public. 

Were other members of the House Democratic Caucus interested in the position? 

Yes, there were other people who have expressed interest. Some of those people were people who won House leadership positions and others were those who were currently running for leadership positions, but not every Democratic member has applied to lead or even to be on a committee, which gave a very slim pool to pick from. 

2 minutes ago, Storm said:

Yes, there were other people who have expressed interest. Some of those people were people who won House leadership positions and others were those who were currently running for leadership positions, but not every Democratic member has applied to lead or even to be on a committee, which gave a very slim pool to pick from. 

Leader King, 

Can you reveal to this committee who was in that pool?

Mr. Leader,

Given these other candidates for leading the ASJAF committee, what criteria did you use to select them? 

Just now, Conrad said:

Leader King, 

Can you reveal to this committee who was in that pool?

As I personally would like too, I believe that is something that I myself cannot reveal without permission. 

Just now, Storm said:

As I personally would like too, I believe that is something that I myself cannot reveal without permission. 

Who's permission would you need?

Just now, MrAnderson said:

Mr. Leader,

Given these other candidates for leading the ASJAF committee, what criteria did you use to select them? 

Well, my criteria was simple. No one who was elected as House leadership was selected to lead, no one who ran for a house leadership position was selected to lead, and I gave opportunities to those who didn't run to spread out the leadership opportunities within the party. 

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Who's permission would you need?

I am personally not sure, but I do know that whoever signed up on the list would need to reveal themselves as possible candidates for the position. I would want to follow that to respect their privacy in this matter.

I am personally not sure, but I do know that whoever signed up on the list would need to reveal themselves as possible candidates for the position. I would want to follow that to respect their privacy in this matter.

If you were to receive a subpoena from this committee to turn over such documents, would you do it?

Mr. Leader and Representative King,

Thank you both for being here today. 

Mr. Leader, is there any reason that Congressman King to your knowledge at the time of the appointment was unfit or unqualified for the leadership position?

Just now, Conrad said:

If you were to receive a subpoena from this committee to turn over such documents, would you do it?

I do not believe in breaking laws or violating another person's privacy, sir. I think the best course of action would be to ask the Democratic party directly to try and get that information.

2 minutes ago, FrankP said:

Mr. Leader and Representative King,

Thank you both for being here today. 

Mr. Leader, is there any reason that Congressman King to your knowledge at the time of the appointment was unfit or unqualified for the leadership position?

Congressman King to my knowledge was one of the most qualified candidates for the position.  To the best of my knowledge, there was no indication as to why he would be unqualified. 

1 minute ago, Storm said:

I do not believe in breaking laws or violating another person's privacy, sir. I think the best course of action would be to ask the Democratic party directly to try and get that information.

What exactly does that answer mean? Forgive me but it's rather oxymoronic. You would break a law by resisting a lawful congressional subpoena but by adhering to it you would violate another person's privacy. Could you please clarify that answer for me?

Congressman King to my knowledge was one of the most qualified candidates for the position.  To the best of my knowledge, there was no indication as to why he would be unqualified. 

What made him qualified?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this