Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Passed: Respecting Life Act

Posted (edited)

Mr Marshall for himself introduces with thanks to Mr Prescott, Mr Cavalieri, Mr Hall, Mr Collins, Mr Seymour, Mrs Boxer and Mr Kahuhu...

A BILL

To prohibit federal funding for abortions. 

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate in Congress assembled.

Section 1. Short title

(a) This act may be cited as the Respecting Life Act.

Section 2. Prohibition on Funding for Abortions.

(a) Prohibition - No federal funds as authorized by the Congress of the United States may be used to carry out an abortion. 

(b) Exception - There shall be an exception to Section 2(a) in the case of continuing a pregnancy which has resulted from rape or incest, or which would endanger the health or life of the mother.

PES: 

Prohibits federal funds for abortion except when continuation of the pregnancy would endanger the mothers life.

48 hours for debate

Edited by Brady

I move for unanimous consent.

24 hours for objections

Mr. Chairman, I object to unanimous consent.

I object to this bill in principle, because I believe privacy and reproductive choice are rights that should be afforded to all patients, not just those who can afford it. Patients without the means to care for a child are the most in need of help to ensure all choices are available to them. I won't be voting for this bill and I urge my colleagues to cast their votes against this bill as well. We must stand up for the right to privacy and reproductive choice.

That said, at the very least we should make this bill reasonable, and without exceptions for rape, incest, and the health of the patient, this isn't even close to reasonable. I move to amend:

(b) Exception - There shall be an exception to Section 2(a) in the case of continuing a pregnancy which has resulted from rape or incest, or which would endanger the health or life of the mother.

I yield.

I second the amendment, and we shall move to a vote on it. 24 hours to vote

Aye

The committee will now vote on this bill. 24 hours for voting.

Nay