Sign in to follow this  
DMH

Fairness Doctrine

Comments regarding the upcoming vote by the FCC to revoke the Fairness Doctrine can be posted below.

"Our nation was founded upon the moral virtues of honesty, equity and the inclusion of all people despite their different ideologies or cultural backgrounds. I stand with the FCC in their vision for ensuring that our media echoes the reality of our nation to enforce honesty, equity, and balance. The repeal of the Fairness Doctrine has been a hot topic throughout our nation and is one that has encouraged and inspired lively debate within the ranks of the House  Democratic Caucus. Last year during the 99th Congressional session, Congress came to a consensus directing the FCC to examine and submit a report to Congress on possible alternatives other than repealing the Fairness Doctrine.

As decided last year, we still stand behind the decision and would like to examine any alternatives that the FCC has discovered throughout the course of the last year. During our debates, the House Democratic Caucus came to a consensus on our own possible alternative. We believe in the promises of a free market and a society that embraces the development of multiple ideologies. We do not seek to limit this innovation but instead would like to create an environment which embraces it. We propose that if the FCC are to repeal the Fairness Doctrine, that they do so with moderation and move towards a truth style doctrine.

The Truth Style Doctrine will require news broadcasting agencies to classify themselves as "news broadcasting agencies" and will also require them to adhere to a truth style doctrine which ensures that the news stories they report on are 100% percent accurate.  The American people should be able to dictate which media's they want to interact with along with having access to accurate information all the time. We would like for you to recognize this proposal as a possible alternative and would like to invite you to a meeting with our ASFAJ committees to discuss your findings and possible alternatives anyone else may have"

"I am supportive of the proposal by the FCC to repeal the 'Fairness Doctrine' because I believe the right to a free press is of the utmost importance in a free society. While the decision is ultimately in the hands of the FCC, I believe that they will make the right decision as this bipartisan consensus on repealing the Fairness Doctrine gains steam. Nobody should be denied the right to speak their mind - and that includes the media first and foremost.

"Nothing would stop certain media from continuing to abide by the Doctrine, and greater competition in the marketplace will enhance opportunities for the average voter and citizen to make up their mind. But the proffered 'Truth Style Doctrine' would be an egregious encroachment on the right to a free and independent press. I would oppose any such efforts for the federal government to regulate what is 'true' and what is not. It simply is a recipe for disaster."

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this