Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Press Office of Jackson Clay

Clay named Committee Chairman

Q1 1987 | Press Release #1

Muncie, Indiana – Representative Jackson Clay, recently reelected to his House seat, has been named by Majority Leader King to the chairmanship of the HELP committee. As chairman, Representative Clay will be responsible for docketing legislation, and moving it through the committee to the full Senate. The primary focus of the committee is on legislation relating to domestic issues, including the economy and healthcare. This fits with Representative Clay's focus on pocketbook issues that have allowed him to return to Congress once again, and he expects to make the most of it. "It is so wonderful to have the opportunity to give my district an even greater voice in the House. To know that I will be much more involved in economic and health issues, and to take the Hoosier common sense my home state has given me to Washington, to do positive things for the American people, is a great honor and privilege. I intend to hit the ground running, and get started improving the lives of people in my district and across this country."

Representative Clay also made some headlines, calling for an investigation into the allegations of nepotism against senior members of the Democratic Leadership. Representative Clay takes issues like this very seriously, and has asked that it be thoroughly reviewed by an unbiased committee, and that said committee should avoid partisan rancor and focus on doing the work ahead of them. "I hope that these allegations will be proven false. Members of the Democratic party deserve to have a leadership that is corruption free, and I believe we have that right now. That's why I welcome an investigation. I completely believe that the committee will find the allegations to be false, and that Representative King can get on to the good work he has planned for his committee." 

Clay statement on King Investigation

Q1 1987 | Press Release #2

Muncie, Indiana – The minority members of the house ASFAJ committee have recently opened an investigation into the conduct of the House Majority Leader in appointing his brother Chairman of the committee. Representative Clay has been at the forefront of the calls for an investigation, but now has grave concerns about the conduct of the committee. While there is no way to deny there is something off-putting about the appointment, the way the Republican party has attempted to subpoena a leader in the Congress, without having the formal authority to do so, is a much more clear and apparent overreach of power. The Committee has no formal authority until the rules of the House have been put in place, and that has yet to happen. The GOP would be wise to rein in their members, as they are accusing the Majority Leader of crimes that they cannot prosecute, nor do they have the authority to investigate. "I've always been in favor of an investigation, but this action by the minority party makes a mockery of the Congressional System. We have rules and norms in this country, and we should follow them. The Republican party is attempting to flaunt those rules and punish a member of the Democratic Leadership, without a committee structure in place. They have threatened him with subpoena, when they have no right to issue one. If I were the Minority Leader, I would race to get my party in line, instead of throwing stones across the aisle. We should investigate this, but we should do it right, not by conservative fiat." 

Representative Clay is calling for the investigation by a select Committee on ethics, to be headed by a chair who is not involved in the present situation. If there is misconduct, a bipartisan committee can determine that and punish accordingly, but Representative Clay will not support any findings or punishments called for by the current committee investigation. 

Clay endorses Douglas Seymour for President

Q1 1988 | Press Release #3

Des Moines, Iowa – Representative Jackson Clay has endorsed Congressman Seymour for the Presidency. "I think he is the right guy at the right time. He's smart, he's got good ideas, and he is focused on the issues that matter to my constituents. While his opponents are taking liberal positions on divisive social issues, Congressman Seymour has focused on the issues that matter, on economic fairness, educating our children and protecting this country from the threat of the Soviet Union." Congressman Clay announced his endorsement in a speech on Seymour's behalf in Iowa, speaking to an audience there about Midwestern Values and how Seymour is the candidate that reflects those values. "I hope Mr. Seymour will allow me to go out to speak more on his behalf, because I'm so excited about the possibility of him serving as our President. Anything I can do to help, I will do." 

Edited by Clay
  • Like 1

Clay named House Majority Leader

Q1 1988 | Press Release #4

Washington D.C.– Congressman Jackson Clay, the Democratic Representative from the 2nd district in Indiana, has been selected by his peers to be the next House Majority Leader. Upon the announcement of this news, the Congressman provided this comment to the press. “I’m incredibly honored to be given this opportunity to serve as the next Democratic House Majority Leader. As leader, I intend to push a pro-worker agenda, and will do everything in my power to pass legislation to benefit the hardworking people of my district and this country.” Clay is one of the youngest party leaders in Congressional History, and also is making history by taking the reins after only 3 terms in the House. “I may be young, but I’ve gotten proven results for the people of my district, and my colleagues know that I will aggressively push a platform that will help their constituents.” After the announcement, Representative Clay returned to the floor, and began amending the legislation to increase the minimum wage. He intends to make passing the minimum wage bill his greatest priority as the new leader. 

Edited by Clay

Clay introduces Computer Literacy Bill

Q1 1988 | Press Release #5

Washington D.C. – Newly elected House Majority Leader Jackson Clay introduced a bill today in the House that would help prepare American children for the next century, by investing in computer education and hardware. Upon releasing the bill Clay said to reporters "This bill is designed to help keep American children competitive in the future global economy. Computers are going to increase in importance in the future, so we should take this opportunity to stay ahead of the curve and prepare our kids for what they will face in the next 10 or 15 years." The bill provides millions of dollars for the purchasing of computers to be used in the classroom, as well as classes for teachers who wish to use technology in the classroom. It is a bill designed to provide more educational opportunities for the youth in this country, and Leader Clay hopes to get it on the floor this session

Clay Sets First Docket

Q1 1988 | Press Release #6

Washington D.C. – House Majority Leader Jackson Clay has released his first docket, setting the agenda for House Democrats in the coming weeks. The docket, which consists of four bills, is just a small part of the pro-worker, pro-family agenda of the Democratic party. The bills, the Employee Rights Protection Act, The Rural Health Improvement Act, Family Leave Tax Credit, and the Real Right to Work Act, each of which does more for the American Worker and Farmer. The Employee Rights Act, proposed by Representative Garvey,  would protect union workers who partake in labor organization activities from discrimination in the workplace. 

The Rural Health Improvement Act, proposed by Representative Boxer, would help citizens in rural part of the Leader's district and in others like it, by providing tax credits to medical professionals who work in rural areas, and waiving antitrust laws so that rural hospitals can band together to buy expensive equipment. It also lets the HHS Secretary remove Medicare regulations that strangle small hospitals. Also on the docket is the Family Leave Tax Credit, a bipartisan bill that would provide a tax credit to businesses who allow parental leave to their employees. 

The final bill placed on the docket is The Real Right to Work Act, which mandates that employers who plan to cut jobs or close plants must inform their workers 60 days in advance. This will give workers the opportunity to fight for their jobs, or to look for new ones. The totality of this agenda is a serious boost to the middle class, to those who live in cities or small towns, to the American worker and family. This, along with the passage of the Minimum Wage bill supported by Leader Clay, will help every single American achieve the prosperity they desire. 

Clay Joins Ticket, Passes Bills

Q3 1988 | Press Release #7

Dayton- Leader Jackson Clay, the Representative of Indiana's Second Congressional District, has been selected by Congressman John White as his running mate for the 1988 election. Representative Clay is happy to join a true warrior for the Democratic cause, and to have the opportunity to continue his service to his country as Vice President. He will continue, for the time being, in his role as House Majority Leader, and will continue to advocate for the legislative agenda that Democrats have been pushing in the House of Representatives since the start of his leadership. Under Indiana law, he is also allowed to be on the ballot for both Vice President, and Representative, and he intends to continue his congressional campaign while running for higher office. 

Under that leadership, the Democratic Party has passed many parts of its agenda into law. These include the Rural Health Improvement Act, which will help rural communities like those Rep Clay represents in places like Winchester, and Daleville, that aren't close to major medical centers. Thanks to House Democrats, these rural towns are closer to getting local medical care than they ever have been. If this bill is passed into law, they will all benefit greatly, thanks to the leadership of Congressional Democrats. Other bills include the Real Right to Work Act, which is a bill that would help workers who are in danger of losing their jobs have the time they need to look for new employment or look into potential actions against their employers if things have been done improperly. Congressional Republicans, including Representative Kaine, the Republican nominee, voted against this bill. Their decision has proven to all the people of this country that they are not as pro-worker as they claim, regardless of their attempts to spin their votes. Leader Clay intends to push more bills that will help his constituents, and to build on the good work that has already been done by Congressional Democrats.

Sign in to follow this