Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

House SOC Committee Investigation: King Appointment

*GAVEL* 

Good morning, ladies and gentleman, fellow colleagues. Today I am announcing, first and foremost, that the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct immediately begin an investigation into my appointment as Chairman of the House Armed Services, Foreign Affairs, and Judiciary committee due to allegations of my appointment violating the rules of the House and laws of the United States. The House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct -- this committee -- will handle the investigation going forward. I will recuse myself from all proceedings regarding this review and I will be handing over review and control to the Ranking Member of this committee whomever that individual might be for the duration of this investigation and until it has concluded in full. 

*GAVEL*

• Thanks 1

"Thank you, Congressman King, for accepting and acknowledging that there is a very real concern with the nepotistic actions of the King family. I look forward to leading a robust and thorough investigation of the matter at hand because I am sure we can all agree that nepotism has no place in American government. There are statutes within the U.S. code regarding this matter that need to be upheld and in leading this investigation that will be my mission - upholding the rule of law. 

In so doing, I would like to invite the man who appointed Chairman King to this committee, another King, Congressman Augustus King, to testify before this committee for (24 hrs)."

@Storm

House Majority Leader Augustus King sends a message 

*I believe a hearing must be voted on by committee members*

Edited by Storm

Mr. King,

Per the rules of the DNC caucus aren’t committee chairs selected by the Speaker and Majority Leader based on ability?

Thank you gentlemen for your questions. Before I begin I would like to state how appalled I am by the incompetent running of these investigations. Not only has the ranking majority member insisted on moving on these hearings unilaterally without a committee consensus, but she has also ignored by calls for a new body to be formed consisting of Democratic members whom I did not appoint. The polarizing attitude of these hearings is nothing but political spectacle to try and show me “who is in control”.

In forming the committees everyone had a fair and equal chance to apply. Chairman King however was the first person to apply to for the position for the ASFAJ committe. I used a variety of factors to choose chairs. I didn’t appoint anyone to chair who was currently serving on congressional leadership, I didn’t appoint anyone to chair who ran for leadership in an attempt to be fair, impartial and not to give anyone any type of leverage in case leadership elections were to occur again and experience played a great deal. The chairman is an experienced house member and also practiced law for 20 years which is almost more time than anyone else who has applied. The criteria was also used to select the other chair.Some people also did not apply. 

Per the rules of the DNC Caucus there is no such clause. I am however the second highest ranking member within the party and at the time the committee sign up started, I was the only elected member as I ran unopposed.

I kindly ask the Ranking member how long is this hearing suppose to last and what is it’s goal?. I would like to do everything I can to assist you.

22 minutes ago, Storm said:

In forming the committees everyone had a fair and equal chance to apply. Chairman King however was the first person to apply to for the position for the ASFAJ committe. I used a variety of factors to choose chairs. I didn’t appoint anyone to chair who was currently serving on congressional leadership, I didn’t appoint anyone to chair who ran forleadership in an attempt to be fair, impartial and not to give anyone any type of leverage in case leadership elections were to occur again and experience played a great deal. The chairman is an experienced house member and also practiced law for 20 years which is almost more time than anyone else who has applied. The criteria was also used to select the other chair.Some people also did not apply. 

Representative Jacky Williams:

So what you've told this committee, essentially, is that there were other options to choose from, but that you purposefully established criteria - that by all means is arbitrary and not bound by any set rules or precedent - that allowed for other members to be passed up in order to leave no choice but for you to appoint your brother, Reggie King, as Chairman of this committee. Don't you think that's a bit convenient, Congressman King?

• Like 1

Just now, Christopher Williams said:

So what you've told this committee, essentially, is that there were other options to choose from, but that you purposefully established criteria - that by all means is arbitrary and not bound by any set rules or precedent - that allowed for other members to be passed up in order to leave no choice but for you to appoint your brother, Reggie King, as Chairman of this committee. Don't you think that's a bit convenient, Congressman King?

Can you tell me what was wrong with my criteria? No leadership is serving on the committee and a person who ran for leadership is not serving as a chair. To me that’s conflict free. 

The sole requirement other than my selection criteria is that the chair be an elected member of the House.Did  I appoint someone who is not a member of Congress and is their some type of gain monetary for becoming chair?, no there isn’t. Everything was done by the book.

Do you have written testimonials or witnesses who can say I gave people special privileges?. If you do, you might as well present them.

19 minutes ago, Storm said:

Can you tell me what was wrong with my criteria? No leadership is serving on the committee and a person who ran for leadership is not serving as a chair. To me that’s conflict free. 

The sole requirement other than my selection criteria is that the chair be an elected member of the House.Did  I appoint someone who is not a member of Congress and is their some type of gain monetary for becoming chair?, no there isn’t. Everything was done by the book.

Do you have written testimonials or witnesses who can say I gave people special privileges?. If you do, you might as well present them.

Representative Williams:

Well, you say everything was done 'by the book' - by what book? No one knows of any book that sets forth the type of criteria you've outlined with regards to the appointment of committee chairs. This was a process, as you've just testified, created and executed by you - a King - that culminated in a nepotistic action of appointing your brother - another King - to Chair this committee. 

Furthermore, let's look at a piece of the criteria you've outlined. You said on the one hand that one of the pieces of criteria you set, that - again - is entirely arbitrary - was that you wouldn't appoint someone who had run for the leadership. Then you tell us that you were, and let me quote here, 'the only elected member, as [you] ran unopposed'. Per my logic, the logic of most Americans - including any thirteen-year-old - would mean that this particular criterion eliminated absolutely no other elected member of Congress aside from yourself if you are to be taken at your word. Meaning that there were still just as many more options other than your brother when you made that a part of your own set criteria and when you filtered out the other, qualified committee chair potential based on that. 

So now that we've established that you conveniently set the criteria upon which allowed you to appear as if your brother was the only option available for appointment by you, let me ask you, did you review any actual, on-the-books rules or statutes related to nepotism or did you, having the legal experience you have and having the legal experience your brother has, recklessly disregard the law?

Edited by Christopher Williams

Representative King, do you see why appointing an immediate family member would be seen as wrong? To a position of considerable power that is.

To my knowledge I have not broken any laws. If  you would like to cite a statue or even present to me a law that I have broken then please present it, or if you have any evidence of nepotism  please present it so the public may see. Nepotism degrades our Democracy but so does openly slandering a person's because of political differences. The Ranking member has yet to answer my questions regarding time length and the purpose of this hearing, and has not presented any evidence or witnesses. I provided a clear cut criteria to justify my appointments as I am sure the GOP caucus did not just select any random member from their membership to appoint to the committees. The house minority leader himself has made numerous changes to his committee rosters, does anyone accuse him of having negative motives, no they do not. Instead he is seen as just doing his job, just as how I was just doing my job.

But please if you have any information that we should all know about that backs up your claim for nepotism,please let me know.

The evidence is right here Rep. King, your brother is the Chairman of this Committee outside of this hearing. But the House Minority Leader didnt appoint his brother, that's the fundamental difference here Rep. King. If nepotism degrades our democracy then why did you commit an act of nepotism?

The position of Chairman does not wield any decision making power. Yes they oversee our committees, but they cannot approve legislation to the House without a majority vote,  they shouldn't be able to hold hearing without the consensus of the rest of the committee members, but yet we saw that tradition and rule broken right under the chairmanship of the ranking member. The Chairman is bound by rules and restrictions. They lack any real deliberating power without the consent of the other committee members, but yet I will state again we saw that tradition broken right under this ranking member. Plus we also saw this ranking member ignore calls from her own party and even me, to appoint a select ethics committee to run this investigation. 

Well, Congressman King, you asked what laws you've broken. Now, if you had sought the law as you've said you have, I'm certain you would have come upon 5 U.S. Code § 3110, which forbids public officials from appointing or promoting their relatives to public office.

The statute reads as follows: "A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official."

Would you agree, that per that statute, a Chairmanship of a select committee of the House is inarguably an office in the legislative branch? 

Mr. King,

In your estimation is Reginald King capable and competent enough to serve as Chair of this committee?

Just now, Conrad said:

The evidence is right here Rep. King, your brother is the Chairman of this Committee outside of this hearing. But the House Minority Leader didnt appoint his brother, that's the fundamental difference here Rep. King. If nepotism degrades our democracy then why did you commit an act of nepotism?

How do we know if the Minority leader did not remove people due to policy disagreements, or or any other type of disagreement. Yet no one questions his motives. 

1 minute ago, Christopher Williams said:

Well, Congressman King, you asked what laws you've broken. Now, if you had sought the law as you've said you have, I'm certain you would have come upon 5 U.S. Code § 3110, which forbids public officials from appointing or promoting their relatives to public office.

The statute reads as follows: "A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official."

Would you agree, that per that statute, a Chairmanship of a select committee of the House is inarguably an office in the legislative branch? 

Representative Williams: 

Please answer my question, Congressman King.

Just now, Christopher Williams said:

Thank you Ranking member. You and I both have a considerable amount of law experience. We went to good law schools, and practiced. Let's read that statute shall we.  "A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official." The key word here s agency. This committee nor the House of Representatives is not an agency. I did not appoint anyone to run an agency, I appointed people to run a committee. Is there a statute that says I cannot appoint a person to run a task force,committee or even a club. No. 

We aren't talking about policy disagreements here Rep. King. We are talking about you appointing your brother to a position of power. Further more, the position of chairman holds considerable power of docket choices and other items. Do you not agree that this is quite important?

Just now, Conrad said:

We aren't talking about policy disagreements here Rep. King. We are talking about you appointing your brother to a position of power. Further more, the position of chairman holds considerable power of docket choices and other items. Do you not agree that this is quite important?

Docketing power is important as it is one that I currently have, but again what law did I break?

Just now, Storm said:

Thank you Ranking member. You and I both have a considerable amount of law experience. We went to good law schools, and practiced. Let's read that statute shall we.  "A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official." The key word here s agency. This committee nor the House of Representatives is not an agency. I did not appoint anyone to run an agency, I appointed people to run a committee. Is there a statute that says I cannot appoint a person to run a task force,committee or even a club. No. 

Representative Williams:

If your key defense is built upon the foundation of the word 'agency' in the statute related to nepotism, then your defense is mute. Reason being? Here is the following definition of 'agency' defined by the federal code - it reads as follows: 

(a)(1)(B) " 'Agency' means an office, agency, or other establishment in the legislative branch"

Would you agree that a committee is an establishment of the legislative branch, Congressman King?

• Like 1

So you just said that Chairs dont have any important or meaningful purposes or powers, let the record reflect that Rep. King is now saying that they do have important powers. I go back to my previous point. Do you not see why appointing your brother to the position of chair, which we've now established is important and powerful, is wrong?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this