Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

House SOC Committee Investigation: King Appointment

At the end of the day, no one including the Ranking member can provide any evidence or proof of nepotism. They cannot produce a guideline of how committee members are chosen. Instead they can only show that they disagree with whom I appointed. They insist on trying to rewrite legislative code on the spot, rather on the codes that were amended just last year. A purpose of this hearing has not been defined, and a time length has not been stated. There are is serious ethical violations in this  hearing, as it should be ran by an independent source and not by the people making the accusation. 

This is a political spectacle instead of being something meant to uphold our Democracy. I am appalled. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Let me quote the textbook definition of nepotism for you Rep. King.

the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

You appointed your brother. Can you explain to me how this isn't nepotism...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Storm said:

At the end of the day, no one including the Ranking member can provide any evidence or proof of nepotism. They cannot produce a guideline of how committee members are chosen. Instead they can only show that they disagree with whom I appointed. They insist on trying to rewrite legislative code on the spot, rather on the codes that were amended just last year. A purpose of this hearing has not been defined, and a time length has not been stated. There are is serious ethical violations in this  hearing, as it should be ran by an independent source and not by the people making the accusation. 

This is a political spectacle instead of being something meant to uphold our Democracy. I am appalled. 

Representative Jacky Williams:

Well, first of all, Mr. King, the sooner you answer the questions directly without obfuscation or veering into a rant that's out of proportion with the query, the sooner you can leave.

Nevertheless, let's go through this one step at a time, again.

Were there any other members of Congress in the House Democratic Caucus during the time of your appointment, aside from your brother, that would be capable of serving as the Chair of this committee?

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

So you're outright denying that you have committed an act of nepotism by appointing your own brother as chairman of a powerful position?

Congressman i am not sure if you are aware of the rules written in the Committe Reorganization Act in 1945 but a chairman must act o all legislation assigned to them. That isn’t much docketing power to me. The chair is really in charge of the administrative duties of the committee and not much of deciding an agenda. That’s more of role provided to the House majority Leader and Speaker.

I am also elected out of the Democratic Caucus, your accusations would be much stronger if I was elected out of the house as a whole.

but if there is a guideline that dictates how committee members are selected I would ask for that to be shown to me please. I’m not really dancing around your questions, it just that there’s aren’t  lot of facts present in this investigation.

Representative Jacky Williams: 

Congressman King, were there any other members of Congress in the House Democratic Caucus during the time of your appointment, aside from your brother, that would be capable of serving as the Chair of this committee?

No disrespect ranking chair, but I have asked on countless occasions for a purpose and a time length for this hearing. My concerns have gone unanswered. I have been presumed guilty and am being forced to make myself innocent, which is not only a violation of US law but is also a violation of the United Nation Human Rights Charter. I have pointed out on countless occasions  of the invalidity of this hearing, its incompetence and its violation of rules and traditions.

As the house rules have not been set, and I believe there just be an independent Select Ethics Committee to head this investigation, I demand this hearing be brought to a close, and for transparency, fairness and justice to ring through these halls. I want a hearing with evidence, testimonials and one where the public can see what just and bipartisan politics look like. 

Edited by Storm

52 minutes ago, Storm said:

Congressman i am not sure if you are aware of the rules written in the Committe Reorganization Act in 1945 but a chairman must act o all legislation assigned to them. That isn’t much docketing power to me. The chair is really in charge of the administrative duties of the committee and not much of deciding an agenda. That’s more of role provided to the House majority Leader and Speaker.

I am also elected out of the Democratic Caucus, your accusations would be much stronger if I was elected out of the house as a whole.

but if there is a guideline that dictates how committee members are selected I would ask for that to be shown to me please. I’m not really dancing around your questions, it just that there’s aren’t  lot of facts present in this investigation.

The fact is, appointing a relative to a job or position of power is nepotism and you're right here today in front of this committee rejecting any notion that it was nepotism. Well, Rep. King, your citation of the Committee Reorganization Act of 1946, which is what I assume you meant, doesn't really apply to what has happened here. But I'm glad that we've now established committee chairmen are powerful and important, despite previous comments you made before the members of this committee. Rep. King, you aren't facing criminal charges nor has an official position been established and published by this committee - so while I appreciate your comments about US law and the UNHR, please keep it for you and your legal counsel if you ever find yourself in the situation. 

What we have here is that you appointed your brother to a position of power and you're refusing that it is nepotism. Correct me if I'm wrong sir but you think you've did no wrong here haven't you?

• Like 1

I understand the concern.You and I both share the same passion for the law and want to defend our democracy. I maintain my innocence as I have not engaged in nepotism. I stand by the legislative code defined in (5 USCS   Appx § 1 2 ) that a legislative committee which can be dissolved and and re-created at the need of the House of Representatives is not apart of the listed establishments and agencies under the Nepotism law.  I will be willing to further defend myself under the guidance and supervision of the SEC.

This committee is out of order, the Ranking Member is out of order and the Minority members of this committee are out of order. House Rules are clear that a time for debate shall be firmly established. The witness has asked multiple times for those rules to be followed. The Minority, lead by the Ranking Member, have abjectly failed to follow the rules of this House. This committee should not exist. There was not vote, there was no debate. This committee is nothing more than a star trial worthy of Stalinist Russia with a verdict already decided regardless of evidence or truth. Shut this down Madame Ranking Member. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Storm said:

I understand the concern.You and I both share the same passion for the law and want to defend our democracy. I maintain my innocence as I have not engaged in nepotism. I stand by the legislative code defined in (5 USCS   Appx § 1 2 ) that a legislative committee which can be dissolved and and re-created at the need of the House of Representatives is not apart of the listed establishments and agencies under the Nepotism law.  I will be willing to further defend myself under the guidance and supervision of the SEC.

But this simply isn't true. Some committees have existed since the inception of our Republic. So your appointment of your brother isn't nepotism? In regards to claims of rules by the Gentleman from Nebraska, i would say to him that it has been well established that rules carry on from the previous Congress, until a new rules resolution is passed to change or update those rules. 

Those rules and the new ones require a vote, they require a time period. They require a semblance of order. This star tribunal has none of those aspects. 

I do find it strange that members of the Majority rush to close these hearings. But alas, we will see what happens 

Representative Williams:

There was a consensus that a hearing be held on the notions of potential nepotism violations - by both Democrats and Republicans. In fact, this hearing was created by the Chairman, a Democrat - Mr. King, himself, for the expressed purposes. I will not shut down this hearing. I will not put an end to this pursuit of justice and truth. And if this hearing is to be shut down, have the Chairman shut down his own investigation, into himself. We've already seen the Speaker try to weigh in and end this probe, let's see if Mr. King has the guts to come in here and take this gavel and shut this hearing down himself. 

Otherwise, we shall continue with the testimony of Minority Leader King. Furthermore, I implore that the members of the Majority who received a subpoena for documents pertinent to this investigation follow orders, respect the subpoena, and turn the information over. If you have nothing to hide, abide - abide by the subpoena and turn the documents over to this committee!

Edited by Christopher Williams
  • Haha 1

What is the time frame for this hearing? How long are we going go debate? How long is the witness expected to testify? Those subpoenas are illegal and no one, no one is required to submit any documents for an illegal subpoena.

I motion to adjourn this hearing. 

1 minute ago, Holson said:

What is the time frame for this hearing? How long are we going go debate? How long is the witness expected to testify? Those subpoenas are illegal and no one, no one is required to submit any documents for an illegal subpoena.

I motion to adjourn this hearing. 

Representative Williams:

As long as is necessary, Mr. Lawson - as long as is necessary to find the truth and to find justice. We disagree that the subpoenas are illegal - in fact, Mr. King himself followed the first subpoena by being here to testify. Nevertheless, if the Kings and your party have nothing to hide, just turn over the information. Release the documents. Why must you need the subpoena to cooperate? If you have nothing to hide, abide!

Your motion to adjourn is not recognized.

• Haha 2

This committee will follow the regular order of the House. A motion has been made. 24 hours are required for a second before the motion is voted upon. You cannot rule it out of order. Nor can you not set a time for debate, a time limit to testify, or an overall timeline for this hearing.

I again motion to adjourn.

• Like 1

Raps gavel thrice

Congressman Lawson, you are out of order! The testimony of Augustus King must continue. This is not a time for debate!

Mr. King did you have any personal conversations with your brother, Reggie King, about appointing him to chair this committee?

• Haha 1

Mr. Chairman, 

I second the motion by the Gentleman from Nebraska.

I yield.

Edited by Evan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Christopher Williams said:

Raps gavel thrice

Congressman Lawson, you are out of order! The testimony of Augustus King must continue. This is not a time for debate!

Mr. King did you have any personal conversations with your brother, Reggie King, about appointing him to chair this committee?

wow..........hmm well Congresswoman my brother and I did not have any conversations regarding the party,elections or appointments. As (5 USCS   Appx § 1 2 )  does not list congressional committees as an agency; or legislative establishment.

I will also point out that I am married man with kids. A subpoena is a big deal and that last thing I will want is to have federal police running into my house and arresting me for not following a subpoena. I felt like my family would be in distress due to the  unhinged leadership of the ranking member.

Representative Williams:

Mr. King, would you be willing to turn over any and all private, electronic communications between you and Reggie King up to twenty-four or forty-eight hours prior to your appointment of your brother to chair this committee, in order to substantiate your claim?

I certainly would if ther

3 minutes ago, Christopher Williams said:

Representative Williams:

Mr. King, would you be willing to turn over any and all private, electronic communications between you and Reggie King up to twenty-four or forty-eight hours prior to your appointment of your brother to chair this committee, in order to substantiate your claim?

I certainly would if there was communication, but there isn't. However you were the one who insisted that you have the authority to call a hearing and subpoena me. Do you have any evidence,testimonials or information regarding the act of nepotism?

Edited by Storm

Representative Williams:

Are you willing to contribute to producing all documents and information that are in the possession, custody, or control of the Democratic National Committee or Democratic House Caucus, including private war room discussions, electronic or otherwise, between you or any other House Democrat - including any and all documents, communications, notes, audio and visual recordings, transcripts, and memoranda - referring to any request of or any appointment to any congressional committee in this chamber? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Christopher Williams said:

Representative Williams:

Are you willing to contribute to producing all documents and information that are in the possession, custody, or control of the Democratic National Committee or Democratic House Caucus, including private war room discussions, electronic or otherwise, between you or any other House Democrat - including any and all documents, communications, notes, audio and visual recordings, transcripts, and memoranda - referring to any request of or any appointment to any congressional committee in this chamber? 

I would but it doesn't exist.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this