Sign in to follow this  
Tilsley

Responsible Gun Ownership Act

In the House of Representatives

Mr. Tilsley of Washington (with Mrs. Peterson of Florida, Mr. Augustus King of California, Mr. Blackstone of Massachusetts, Mrs. DuBois-Granger of Maine, and Mr. Kaine of Illinois; for themselves, with thanks to Mr. Schumer and special thanks to James and Sarah Brady) introduce the following bill:

A BILL

To promote responsible gun ownership and prohibit gun sales to restricted persons in the United States.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled.

Sec. 1--Short Title

This act may be cited as the “Responsible Gun Ownership Act” or the “Responsible Gun Ownership Act of 1987”

Sec. 2--Implementation of background checks

(a) All businesses that sell firearms for the purpose of sport or self-defense, shall require that all persons intending to purchase a firearm to submit to a criminal background check prior to approval of sale of any firearm.

(b) Background checks must require the following criteria:

(i) Must not be convicted of a violent felony (i.e.--Murder, manslaughter, rape, aggravated assault, or any violations of statute that constitutes as a violent felony)

(ii) Must not be convicted of domestic violence or any related crimes

(iii) Must not be considered a fugitive from justice

(iv) Must not be diagnosed with any mental illnesses or have been committed to a psychiatric facility for short term and long term holds

(v) Must not be an illegal alien resident of the United States

(vi) Must not be dishonorably discharged from the United States military

(c.) Persons who do not meet the criteria outlined in Subsection (b) will be prohibited to purchasing a firearm.

(d) Businesses who knowingly approve the sale of a firearm to persons who do not pass a background check shall be fined $10,000.

Sec. 3--Ban of Assault Weapons

(a.) All firearms defined as assault weapons (i.e.--Machine guns) shall be prohibited for the purpose of sale and possession

(b.) Persons who possess or approve the sale of an assault weapon if convicted will face a penalty of a one year imprisonment and/or a $5,000 fine or both.

Sec. 4--Enactment

(a.) Upon passage of the Senate and House of Representatives and signature of the President of the United States, enactment of legislation will take effect on January 1, 1988.

Sec. 5--Plain English Statement

The Responsible Gun Ownership Act of 1987 is legislated to restrict gun sales to persons who have been convicted of violent crimes, diagnosed and treated for mental illnesses, and illegal alien residents of the United States. This legislation shall also implement a ban on assault style firearms.

Edited by Tilsley

There will be 24 hours for debate on this bill

Hands off gavel

Mr. Chairman,

I am a strong supporter of the second amendment, I grew up with guns, I use guns for sport, and I collect rare and historic guns. However I believe in common sense back ground checks, if you commit a crime, you should not have a gun. If you beat your wife, you should not have a gun. I therefore offer the following amendment,

(d) Businesses who knowingly approve the sale of a firearm to persons who do not pass a background check shall be fined $10,000. $95,000

I yield.

Mr. Chairman,

I will gladly second the amendment offered by my distinguished colleague.

I Yield. 

The Boxer amendment has been seconded, there will be 24 hours to vote, the chair votes Aye.

The Boxer amendment passes 4-1

We will now move to a final vote, the chair votes Aye.

This bill has failed to pass committee

3 nays and 2 ayes