Sign in to follow this  
Ashcroft

Press Office of Paul Cavalieri (R-CA)

the-italian-premier-giuseppe-conte-visit

MIDTERMS SHOW AMERICANS READY FOR CHANGE

Q1 1987 | Press Release #1

FULLERTON, CA – Speaking to supporters in his constituency in Fullerton, California, Rep. Paul Cavalieri (R-Fullerton) thanked his constituents for returning him to Washington for another term in Congress and discussed the implications of the midterm elections, which saw close results in both houses of Congress and said that by rallying around principles of limited government, Republicans going forward have a shot at flipping the House for the first time in decades.

"These past midterms were one of the closest elections we've seen in some time. It's clear that the President's message of limited government and individual freedom is resonating across our country. If Republicans can build on this energy going forward, continue advocating for constructive, conservative alternatives and fight the fight for individual liberty, I think we have a real shot at taking Congress next time around. It's clear that the era of big government is coming to a close, and with the right leadership and the right energy we can shut the door on it once and for all."

- Mark Keys, Press Secretary

giuseppe-conte-italys-prime-minister-arr

CAVALIERI PUTS WORKERS' RIGHTS ON AGENDA

Q1 1987 | Press Release #2

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Paul Cavalieri (R-Fullerton) spoke to reporters outside the Cannon House Office Building regarding his new legislation to ban Closed Shop rules nationwide and ensure that union membership and participation is fully voluntary across all fifty states. Cavalieri noted that several states already have such laws in place, starting decades ago, and the bill mirrors movements in some European countries such as the United Kingdom.

"There's no reason that thriving labor unions can't be compatible with freedom and choice for workers. That's why I'm proud to sponsor legislation to give workers in unionized industries the right to choose whether or not they want to take part in union activities and pay dues. It simply isn't right that any worker in the United States be forced to join and pay dues to an organisation that they do not support just to work in the job they want - that's not the American way. Unions must earn the support of workers by representing their interests rather than rely on coercion to maintain membership. With this bill, I'm hoping to start a conversation and put workers' rights on the frontispiece of the national agenda."

-Mark Keys, Press Secretary

new-italian-prime-minister-giuseppe-cont

CAVALIERI ELECTED HOUSE MINORITY LEADER

Q1 1987 | Press Release #3

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Paul Cavalieri (R-Fullerton) was elected by his Republican colleagues in the House to serve as the Minority Leader and made a statement to the press regarding his election and priorities.

"It's an honor to have been given this responsibility by my House colleagues. It's a big job, there's a lot of work to do, but I have no doubt that we are ready to face the challenges head-on. I find it interesting that the Democrats have decided to elect as Speaker and Majority Leader two brothers, both considerably to the left. I think that the era of dynastic politics and the era of big government are on the way out. Voters are resonating with the President's principles of small government, individual freedom, and personal responsibility. I look forward to working with the new Democrat famiglia, if you will, while continuing to push for regulatory and tax relief and conservative principles that voters are craving."

• Like 1

law-professor-giuseppe-conte-italys-new-

CAVALIERI SEEKS LEGAL OPINION ON KING CHAIR APPOINTMENT

Q1 1987 | Press Release #4

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Paul Cavalieri (R-Fullerton) gave a statement regarding his decision to seek a legal opinion on the legality of the appointment of Reginald Jackson King as Chairman of the Committee on the Armed Forces, Foreign Affairs, and the Judiciary by his brothers Speaker King and Majority Leader King. Cavalieri cited 5 U.S. Code § 3110 (b) which forbids appointment of an individual to public office by a relative or if the appointment is advocated by a relative of that individual.

"Many members of my caucus have expressed concern about the appointment of Congressman King by his brothers the Speaker and the Majority Leader as Chairman of the AFSAJ Committee. I am announcing that I will be seeking a formal legal opinion as to whether this appointment is consistent with anti-nepotism laws, specifically 5 U.S. Code § 3110 (b), which specifically forbids public officials from appointing or advocating for the appointment of their relative to any public office. It is my understanding that committee chairmen are appointed by the Speaker and the Majority Leader, both of whom are brothers of Rep. King. Depending on the advice of legal counsel, we will take the matter further as we find appropriate. Nepotism is probably the oldest form of corruption, right next to flat-out bribery, and under my leadership the House Republican caucus will never allow that kind of practice to make its way into the halls of Congress."

• Like 1

giuseppe-conte-public-administration-min

CAVALIERI: KING HEARINGS RAISE SERIOUS ETHICAL, LEGAL QUESTIONS

Q1 1987 | Press Release #5

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Minority Leader Paul Cavalieri (R-Fullerton) made a statement to the press regarding the ongoing hearings on Majority Leader King's decision to appoint his brother as Chairman of the AFSAJ Committee. 

"The Majority Leader himself has said – and these are his words – that 'nepotism degrades our democracy.' And yet that is exactly what he did, it's the dictionary definition of nepotism: giving a job to your relative that you have control over. Nothing that Majority Leader King has said contradicts the fact that he committed an act of nepotism. Whether it fits the legal definition is up to the courts, and I think that these hearings have brought forward sufficient evidence for the Department of Justice to open an investigation. But legal definitions aside, from an ethical perspective, the Majority Leader's actions are undoubtedly wrong – and even he acknowledges that nepotism is a very serious ethical violation. Mr. King should either rescind his brother's appointment and  apologize to the American people – or step down from his position and make room for somebody with the moral fiber that his job requires."

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this