Sign in to follow this  
DMH

Local Media Quotes

Name: Kyle Fitzgerald 

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: Houston Post

“The Defense of Marriage Act ensures that marriage remains between one man and one woman. I support this bill, and I urge the House Majority Leader to put it on the next docket.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Name: Zander Kahuhu

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: King 5

"I have some concerns about the Helping Others Home Act of 1987 including it's significantly high amount of funds being put into the HUD. However, I will be strongly considering my vote on this bill, with a high homeless population in my District I need to think what they would want. I will consider supporting the bill for them, they are counting on me and with my recent affordable housing forum and listening to many of my constituents stance on this homeless issue, I think it's time for me to put people over politics."

Edited by Zander Kahuhu

Name: Thomas Blackstone

Party: Democrat

Interviewing Agency: Boston Globe

"The Helping Others Home Act of 1987 is an essential first step in tackling the homeless epidemic that is sweeping this nation. I am proud that the Bill has garnered support from both sides of the aisle, but what is most important is that we are doing something to help the people of America who need our aid. This Bill will make sure that people in this country can count on having a roof over their heads at night. We must make sure that this legislation is passed, and that it is merely the first step we take in helping those who need our help in this country, whether they be Republican or Democrat." 

Name: Augustus Robert King

Party: Democrat

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

"At the start of the 100th congressional session, Democrats voted on an amendment in the Democratic charter to eradicate the Superdelegate system for the upcoming 1988 Presidential election. We believe that the Democratic Presidential nominee should be decided solely by the American people and not by a system that encourages shady backrooms deals. I am proud to announce that the amendment was passed unanimously, and the superdelegate system will not exist in the 1988 Democratic Presidential Primary"

Edited by Storm

Name: Karen Boxer

Interviewing Agency: The Dallas Morning News

"We removed an unfair system so that all future candidates that may run in 1988 will have a fair footing in the primary campaign, the super-delegate system is archaic and simply should not be a system that either party uses when nominating a future presidential candidate. It passed unanimously with all major factions supporting and I hope with this effort all Democratic voters are heard  during the 1988 Democratic Primaries."

Name: Rev. Anderson Kaine

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: State Journal Register 

"The Democratic Party is in shambles right now, as its far-left leadership try to reshape our nation forever. In order to force a vote through the HELP committee I serve on, the Democrats have had to shuffle committee members in and out on three different occasions in just a few hours to get enough votes to pass bills that simply do not have support, including a bill designed to expand unprecedented special treatment to non-traditional couples at the expense of our Judeo-Christian beliefs. This continues to build on the last few months of extreme far-left leadership that is dragging the Democrats away from America's values and has left their moderate members in hiding." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Name: Speaker B.J. Welles

Newspaper: The Brownsville Herald

"I am incredibly proud that the Democratic National Committee, across all factions and ideologies, chose unanimously earlier this session to abolish the deeply undemocratic so-called "superdelegate" system in choosing our Presidential nominee starting in the 1988 Democratic primaries, as well as lowering the threshold for delegates from 20% to 10% and abolishing winner-take-all primaries and caucuses which served purely to encourage toxic regionalism and limit the voices of voters in states where their preferred candidates might not be a dominant force but do not lack for strong support. From progressive to Boll Weevil, I believe almost all Democrats believe that all voices deserve to be heard and this policy change was a great first step to that goal. "

• Like 1

"The National Times just predicted Governor Mario Cuomo giving the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic convention. I am amazed. This is why we need the Truth style Doctrine in the stead of the Fairness Doctrine" 

• Haha 1

Name: Michael Marshall

Interviewing Agency: (what local newspaper/radio): Cherryville Tribune

I think the inner decisions taken within the Democratic National Committee are theirs alone to commence, decide and apply. Whether or not the super-delegate system was a system which was good or not, that's not our place to say. Democratic members are coming to the press stating that it's good for democracy, and if it truly is then it should be good enough to support. I think this also raises an inner point about intra-party politics, I would not welcome members of the DNC pressing how I run the Republican Party, I see that respect as reciprocal and thus I do not talk about their party workings or politics unless it is truly serious.

• Like 2

Name: Speaker B.J. Welles

Newspaper: The Brownsville Herald

"The RNC Chair recently accused Democratic House Leadership of pandering to the left-wing interests in our party. Somehow, I think that might speak louder about him as Chairman of the Republican Party who has voted with a majority of the Democratic leadership or served as part of a unanimous whole in 6 of the 7 bills this 'radical far-left' leadership has sent along to the US Senate thus far. By that logic, he might just be a more reliable Democrat than some of our actual membership." 

• Like 1

"The RNC chair claims that the Democratic House Leadership has pandered to the left and are out of touch, but the voting record of the RNC Chair seems to be a lot more left than the majority of the Democratic House membership. I may even consider the Chair a loyal Democrat"

Name: Douglas Seymour

Party: Democratic

Interviewing Agency: WYFF-4 (NBC)

As a proud defender of South Carolina's economy in Congress, I cast an important vote to oppose a minimum wage hike to $5.00 per hour. I have been a vocal opponent of tying the hands of states like South Carolina from being able to set their own business and labor practices. I am also happy to report that, while the minimum wage bill was in committee, I led the effort to remove an automatic inflation adjustment. If that had not been removed and the bill passed, we would have seen a major feedback loop when it comes to inflation. 

Despite my vote against this one piece of legislation, which would cost us jobs here in the South and across the Midwest, I am still a tireless champion for the working poor. One need look no further than my landmark textile industry protection bill, which has passed the House and is over in the Senate, and my Fighting Childhood Poverty Act, which just passed through the HELP Committee.

• Like 2

The Helping Others Home Act is nothing but an excuse to spend more money on a problem without identifying the root cause and addressing it. Homelessness in the greatest country on earth isn't something we should have nor are we proud of it. If we are truly to address homelessness we need to understand why people can't get homes and create a policy based on our understandings. The Congress should not be voting to simply give people more temporary homes.

• Like 1

The so called hearing into Iran Contra is now attempting to subvert official reports and fact findings into the affair. I said it from the start that this would happen, and my predictions are starting to come true. Attempt after attempt to implicate the President in something he wasn't aware of won't work and if that's the ethos on which the hearing will continue, it has lost all legitimacy in its mission to get to the facts.

Name: Anderson Kaine

Interviewing Agency: (what local newspaper/radio): The Chicago Tribune 

I am glad to have worked with Chairman Tilsley to ensure the committee report on the nepotism hearing was bipartisan and thorough. It is clear that Majority Leader King made special rules for his brother, and then failed to apply those same standards to later appointments to the chair committee. His resignation from leadership in the days following the hearing is a surefire sign that this committee did its job in uncovering this double standard, and I am glad to put this behind us. 

• Like 1

Name: Douglas Seymour

Party: Democratic

Interviewing Agency: WAIM-1230 AM

Nobody deserves to be born into poverty. When more than one-in-five children live in poverty at any given point in time, it is clear that government should step in. I am opposed to an ever-expanding welfare state, but at the same time we must provide the next generation with the tools they need to succeed and to break this vicious cycle. Any policy that I support must first encourage families to escape poverty through work.

That is why my Fighting Childhood Poverty Act - currently up for a vote in the House - is so important. It gives tax incentives to combat poverty, including an extension of the Targeted Jobs Tax Credit. It gives job training opportunities to 50,000 welfare recipients, it gives 100,000 more students an educational Head Start. And it creates a pilot program that will permit states to give incentives to welfare recipients who get and hold a job. I urge colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support this critical bill to help move our economy forward and eliminate the scourge of childhood poverty.

After weeks and weeks of back and forth with the Ethics hearing and Augustus King's nepotism, I'm glad that we have a publication of a report which shows special treatment was applied to his brother. His resignation is an affirmation of guilt, and I'm not sure why he couldn't have done it sooner. I'm happy to see the conclusion of this affair."

• Like 2

Name: James Jefferson

Interviewing Agency: WMAL 

I'm glad that we can finally put this nepotism issue to rest in the House. Former House Majority Leader King resigned, which means he admits he is guilty of the charges. I'm proud of our Select Committee for doing a fantastic job getting to the bottom of this. We can now focus on legislative business, like we were elected to do. We can focus on things like how my bill, Radio Free China Act, has passed the House and Senate unanimously and it's on its way to President Reagan's desk. I'm glad we can finally focus on real issues. 

Name: Axel Storm

Interviewing Agency: NY Times

"The Iran-Contra investigations should be far from finished. There are many questions that still need to be answered. Why wasn't Congress or any high-level congressional officials not informed about any deals regarding the contras and Iran, who is to blame for such relaxed handling of the issue, and what was Defense Secretary Weinberger involvement with the scandal? We need answers and we need them now. Both The Defense Secretary and Independent Counsel Lawerence Walsh should have been called to testify and reveal any information they may have. Without this information, the hearing was a sham".

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this