Sign in to follow this  
DMH

Local Media Quotes

Name: Augustus Robert King

Party: Democrat

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

"I wish our former Speaker well, and I welcome the next election for the office of Speaker. The Democrat house is strong and united. I welcome the Republicans nominee for speaker  with open arms, may the better person win". 

Interviewing Agency: LA Times,The Washington Post

"Bi-partisanship is truly the epitome of our Democracy. Without it, we will be walking aimlessly in the dark, blinded by our inability to find common ground and common causes.  I am happy to announce that I have begun working on a bill with my friend Congressman Anderson Kaine. This bill will establish a system  of  Universal Coverage of Childbirth and Pre-natal care through the Medicare system. We will ensure that all Americans are provided the resources needed to build strong and happy families without it being a lifetime sentence to poverty".

Interviewing Agency: LA Times,The Washington Post

"I am proud to announce the creation of the Select Ethics Committee. I would like to  especially thank Congressman Guy  Hughes and Congressman Micheal Marshall, for helping shape this committee to what is now. Our nation is founded on the premises of truth, justice and liberty for all. No where in this nation, should there ever a witch hunt that ignores the rules and falsely condemn and slander any American without the the due process of a fair trial provided by our constitution.Neither shall there be any grave acts committed by any elected official or public servant who have knowingly broke our laws and erode the very fabric of our Democracy, without it  being investigated thoroughly. 

Such a committee and such a mission should not be in the hand of an official like House Majority or House minority leader. It must come from a leader who has been elected by the House itself. I am proud to announce that no matter who wins the election to become the next Speaker of the House, I will handing over my powers to appoint within the Select Ethics Committee, over to the speaker, to ensure a transparent and just Select Ethics Committee".

Name: Rev. Anderson Kaine

Party: Republican 

Interviewing Agency: Chicago Tribune

"I am glad to see that both parties agreed with my call for a Select Committee on Ethics. This is an important step in improving the quality of our government in an era of incredible moral dysfunction across both parties. More members of Congress, and in our White House, need to do better in serving the public interest and the Heavens above, rather than disregard the law so willingly and easily when it suits them. The Psalms tell us that the promise of freedom will lead to slavery if done through corruption. This committee is a holy responsibility for Washington, not a political one." 

Lady Jacky

Republican from California

Speaking to the Washington Post: 

"The Majority Leader, Mr. King, owes me an apology for calling into question my patriotism on the floor of the House of Representatives. It was unfair to say my opposition to the anti-trade principles in the textile bill makes me a 'communist sympathizer' - as Mr. King asserted. This sort of talk is dangerous and, quite frankly, I'm certain had I been the 'gentleman from California' instead of the 'gentlelady from California', that comment would've never been made."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Name: Karen Boxer

Interviewing Agency: Houston Chronicle

"The Protecting American Textile Manufacturing Act is a good bill but there are obvious flaws, we should not be increasing imports allowing our own textile industries to compete with foreign textiles. As a rancher and a former CEO of slaughterhouses that where sold in several states, it would be unthinkable if Congress passed a bill in which while banning Soviet beef from the domestic market, would then simple expand the other foreign import market allowing foreign beef to overrun domestic American beef products, that is why I'm supporting the amendment that gets rid of it in the Protecting American Textile Manufacturing Act."

Name: Reggie King 

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

"After reviewing the Tower Commission report, it is clear the President not only allowed his cabinet to run unceremonious schemes within our government -- effectively having unelected leaders make unilateral decisions about national security matters -- but he also mislead the American people and blamed it on 'lack of detail.' At this point, it is important Defense Secretary Weinberger resign immediately and we must seriously consider what consequences should fall onto the shoulders of President Reagan for this abysmal failure. If Republicans are serious about ethics, they will join us in seriously investigating these matters and holding the President accountable."

• Like 1

”The Tax reform act of 1986 passed just last year,but house republicans are calling for more tax cuts?. Our deficit is in horrible shape, and spending is out of control. Let’s work together to pass legislation that helps erase our deficit and get our economy going again”.

Name: Michael Marshall

Interviewing Agency: (what local newspaper/radio): Cherryville Tribune

The American people want tax cuts and further tax reform, this much is clear. The opportunity for economic growth can't be clearer when we pass a tax cut, most recently last year with the Tax Reform Act of 1986. What we will now see is the Democratic controlled Congress attempt to reverse the cuts that help the American middle class, tax cuts that were in fact introduced by a Democratic member of Congress and passed with huge bipartisan majorities. I ask myself why now that they decide it is time to call these cuts bad and no doubt will look to repeal them.

• Like 1

Name: Ron Tilsley

Interviewing Agency: The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, WA)

AIDS is an epidemic that needs to be eradicated. Right now, we are discussing legislation on how we're going to combat the disease going forward. But there are some within the Republican party who are on a mission to make sure that legislation does not see the light of day on the house floor. We need to make Americans aware of this disease and we need to do what we can to stop AIDS by any means necessary. This bill will set the stage for our country to lead the charge. 

• Like 1

Name: Karen Boxer

Interviewing Agency: Houston Chronicle

"This so called "compromise" was not a compromise. Congressman Seymour failed to reach out to me or anyother co-sponsor when he apparently decided to make a "compromise" with Congressman Kaine which significantly weakens this bill. I don't accept that, the Americans who are combating AIDS should not accept it. When the bill comes to the house floor, the original content will be placed back into the bill. I believe in bipartisanship, but I don't believe in "compromising" the safety of the American people when it comes to AIDS."

Name: Reggie King

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

"The compromise on the AIDS bill being considered in the House is nothing to be praised. Congressman Seymor and Kaine should be ashamed of themselves for misleading the American people to believe this compromise was anything more than a two-man job. It was an amendment proposed by two individuals who both share the same backward beliefs -- that we shouldn't be serious about combatting major diseases and promoting prevention. We have a responsibility to do what is right and to make sure we're doing all we can on issues that affect all American's, regardless of their race, their creed, nationality, or personal choices. I will be fighting tooth and nail to return the original language of this bill through an amendment on the House Floor." 

"I am deeply upset with the debate regarding the AIDS bill. I believe in bipartisanship, but bipartisanship should be something done out of a place of honesty, trust, and a spirit of really wanting to get things done. From a conversation with Congresswoman Karen Boxer, she has revealed to me that Congressman Seymour didn't even attempt to reach out to her in an attempt to reach some type of common ground regarding the spending portion of the bill. Bipartisanship isn't a show, it is an effort that requires conversation, an open mind, and empathy".

I have no plans on backing the AIDS bill currently before the committee and I welcome what appears to be provisions limiting what could very well be runaway funds which were originally in the bill. That being said however, I think it would have been a lot smoother if the sponsor of the bill was actually consulted before an amendment was made, something that would have perhaps made for an easier journey through Congress. To say that the "original content" will be placed back into a bill after it has been considered in the committee scrutiny stage is also dangerous, and I think we ought to recognize that.

• Like 2

"I am committed to the prevention of the spread of AIDS. This is a health crisis that can prove to be a tremendous humanitarian disaster if we do not take the necessary precautions to protect ourselves. If the AIDS bill get passed committee, I will immediately propose an amendment to increase funding to $750 million dollars to continue research, and to add another amendment towards equipping the Centers for Disease Control to deal with a possible oncoming pandemic"

• Like 1

Name: Rev. Anderson Kaine

Interviewing Agency: Chicago Tribune

"AIDS is a terrible disease, but we cannot compromise our value to create a multi-billion dollar slush fund for testing people. We have to combat it. The only surefire way to not get AIDS is to not do drugs and not engage in immoral sexual behavior. I applaud attempts by some Democrats to address the real issues, and to provide some attempt to solve this issue, but a bad attempt isn't something we should dedicate every American family to pay for. These misguided attempts to throw money at the problem through big-government obsession with defending drug users and sexual promiscuity is yet another sign that the moral decay of our country is accelerating rapidly." 

• Like 1

Name: Rosemarie DuBois-Granger

Party: Democratic

Interviewing Agency: Portland Press Herald

"The goal of bipartisanship is for both parties to come together and compromise so real solutions can be achieved for the American people. I applaud Congressman Seymour for trying to achieve a bipartisan compromise on the AIDS Prevention and Information Act, but the deal reached is completely one-sided. Congressman Kaine has made clear he has no intention of voting for this bill despite these amendments. This is a case of one Democrat on the HELP Committee sacrificing needed funding to help prevent the spread of AIDS, but Republicans on the Committee giving nothing in return -- not even their vote for the bill. As Chair of the HELP Committee, I believe the Committee's processes need to be respected, but only when Committee members are working together in good faith for the benefit of the American people. While I believe Congressman Seymour has been trying to do that, Congressman Kaine clearly hasn't, and I hope the amendments to this bill are reversed so we can take meaningful steps to stop the spread of this devastating disease."

One of the first pieces of legislation to pass the House of Representatives this session was the Business Veterans Promotion Act which I sponsored. This is a bill I am proud of because it increases and advances opportunities for our veterans who own small businesses. But we can't stop here, we need to do more for our veterans... more comprehensive legislation is needed,

I have resorted to quoting from the Oxford English Dictionary in the Ethics Hearing because when the questioning got tough, the House Majority Leader decided to attack and accuse his fellow Congressmen of ridiculous absurdities such as labeling him as guilty while awaiting further testimony, something which I myself requested. When this defense, if that's what you want to call it, faltered, he decided to take my advice and wait for a report from the Assistant Attorney General. All we want to do here is get to the bottom of this situation and move on and that's tough when questions aren't being answered.

Name: Kyle Fitzgerald 

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: Houston Post

“I am honored to be selected by my colleagues as the new House Minority Leader. We have about a year and a half left to build on the success of Ronald Reagan’s presidency and end it on a high note. That is exactly what I intend to help accomplish."

• Like 1

Name: Anderson Kaine 

Interviewing Agency: WGN News

"The aggressive nature and accusatory interrogative outbursts of HML King are truly unbecoming of a member of Congress, and are incredibly hostile to the very idea of what the Ethics Committee was asked to achieve by a unanimous vote of the House. I hope the Ethics Chairman can ask the Democratic Leader to give the committee his respect going forward."

• Like 1

"Seems to be that to some in the SEC that asking a question clarification is an aggressive and hostile outburst. Apparently, I am guilty before proven innocent, as I have been called multiple derogatory names during this hearing".

Name: Ron Tilsley

Interviewing Agency: KING-TV (Seattle, WA)

"To be honest, at the end of the day if you're being appointed to a leadership position, it's important that you should be competent on those issues and have the qualifications for the position in question. If you're being appointed to chair the Judiciary committee, your knowledge on judicial matters should far away whether or not your related to someone in a powerful position. Blatant nepotism is frowned upon, that's for sure. But being related to someone of power should not guarantee you anything in American politics. Period, end of story."

Name: Kyle Fitzgerald 

Interviewing Agency: Houston Post

“I voted for a hearing in the House Select Ethics Committee on the Iran-Contra affair. I did this because it’s important that we learn all the facts about what happened. However, I believe President Reagan’s side of the story and I accept his apology. I still support him 100%, but I just want to make sure we know all the facts. We don’t want this to happen again.”

I'm beginning my questioning to members of the Reagan Administration establishing the remit of the executive branch power over the conduct of foreign relations in the United States and whether or not the Boland Amendment represents a conflict or wrestle for control over the foreign policy of the United States between Congress and the Executive Branch. Approaching it with an open mind and with an intent to look at the equities of the situation at hand.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this