Sign in to follow this  
DMH

Local Media Quotes

Name: Paul Cavalieri

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: (what local newspaper/radio): Orange County Register

Majority Leader King has just told the AFSAJ Committee that he believes "nepotism degrades our democracy." The question has to be asked then, why does he do it?

• Like 2

Name: Guy Hughes

Party: Democrat

Interviewing Agency: Lufkin Daily News 

“Whether or not nepotism was committed in the appointment of Congressman King to his committee position is an open question that requires examination, preferably by an independent committee appointed by others outside of the King family. 

However, what is clear to me at this time is that the situation under which this hearing commenced is not consistent with the rules on establishing hearings - we need to reset the hearing in a fair and legal manner, not as an impromptu extra-legal process.”

Name: Jackson Clay

Interviewing Agency: Muncie Star

At this point, it is clear that no reasonable conclusion can come out of the ASFAJ committee's unauthorized and ridiculous investigation into accusations made against the Majority Leader. I would support a select committee to get to the bottom of this issue, and we should thoroughly investigate, but Representative Williams is only making a mockery of the system at this point. We should stop, pass the House rules, and solve this in a non-partisan way. 

Name: Michael Marshall

Interviewing Agency: (what local newspaper/radio): Cherryville Tribune

Republicans didn't set this committee up. It was set up by Chairman Reggie King in what I thought took a lot of guts considering he was the one at the center of this controversy. I think now for Democrats in the House to suddenly decide that we don't want that hearing, let's make a new one, is dangerous. We have an open and above board hearing going on right now which I think is fine. Given the recent answers of Representative King towards the committee, I can see why Democrats want to shut its doors and 'reset' the committee. Americans want answers and they are getting them, albeit incoherent ones and reaffirmations that nepotism is good and its how the Democratic Party rolls.

• Like 1

Name: Teddy King

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

Today I was sent an illegal subpoena by Congresswoman Williams, the house rules where never finalized, the hearing was not started legally under the house rules. I have refused to follow or accept said subpeona until an independent congressional ethics hearing that follows the rules of the house is created.

SUBPEONA

By Authority of the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States of America

To  The Office of the Democratic National Committee, Chair

The Honorable Bryant Wolfe

To  The Office of the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States of America

The Honorable Edward Thaddeus King

To: The Office of the Majority Leader of the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States of America

The Honorable Augustus King

You are hereby commanded to produce the things identified on the attached schedule to the House Standards of Official Conduct Investigation of King Nepotism at the Committee on Armed Services, Foreign Affairs, and the Judiciary of the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States of America and you are to produce and deliver to the place of production and by the time listed below touching matters of inquiry committed to said committee.

Date: (September 24/2018) by 11:59 Eastern Standard Time.

Place of Production: Office of the Ranking Member, House Committee on Armed Forces, Foreign Affairs, and the Judiciary

To U.S. Marshals Service

To serve and make return.

Witness my hand and seal of the House of Representatives of the United States, at the city of Washington, D.C., on this date/time. 

aaQD3RN.png

Jacky Williams

Office of the Ranking Member, House Committee on Armed Forces, Foreign Affairs, and the Judiciary

Chair, Standards of Official Conduct Investigation: Nepotism of King Family

Attached Schedule

In accordance with the attached schedule instructions, you, Bryant Wolf/Edward King, are required to produce all documents and information that are in the possession, custody, or control of the Democratic National Committee or Democratic House Caucus, including private war room discussions, electronic or otherwise, described below:

1. All documents, communications, notes, audio and visual recordings, transcripts, and memoranda referring to any the request of or any appointment to any congressional committee in the House of Representatives of the United States of America.

2. All documents, communications, notes, audio and visual recordings, transcripts, and memoranda referring to any communications between House Majority Leader Augustus King and any member of the House Democratic Caucus regarding any the request of or any appointment to any congressional committee in the House of Representatives of the United States of America.

Stipulation

Subpoenaed records, documents, data or information should not be destroyed, modified, removed, transferred or otherwise made inaccessible to the Committee. 

Name: Teddy King

Party: Democrat

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

The Chairman of the RNC states, I should stand aside during this investigation, so why did Congresswoman Williams decide to involve me by sending me an illegal subpoena? Under  Wilkinson v. United States, a Congressional committee must meet three requirements for its subpoenas to be "legally sufficient." First, the committee's investigation of the broad subject area must be authorized by its chamber. Seeing as the house rules where never voted on, the hearing was never seconded by another member of committee, Congresswoman Williams submitted an illegal subpoena to me and has involved me in a case that her leadership are now telling me to stay out of. 

Edited by Avner

"Perhaps the Speaker can agree with me that it would be best for him to not use any of the powers his office gives him in order to disrupt or otherwise cast a shadow over current and future proceedings. I think, that at least, would be the decent thing to do in this case. If it's considered necessary for him to answer questions or inquiries, then so be it. But an across the board recusal from these proceedings would go a long way to ensuring and reinforcing the principle of an investigation trying to get to the bottom of serious ethics violations."

• Like 1

Name: Thomas Blackstone

Interviewing Agency: The Republican

"It is quite alarming that Congressman Teddy King has been issued an illegal subpoena. This is not normal procedures for our government, and should be worrisome for all Americans. How far is Congressman Williams willing to go to put partisan politics over the actual well being of her constituents?" 

Name: James Jefferson

Interviewing Agency:  Fairfax Times

"We need to get to the bottom of this ethic investigation that is currently happening in the House Armed Services, Foreign Affairs, and the Judicial Committee and then move on to actual legislating, something we were elected by our constituents to do. We have bills that are waiting to be debated and voted on that impact our citizens, If nepotism did, in fact, occur, then we need to dish out consequences to the Kings, but we need to do it quickly so we can move on and get the work done that we were sent to Washington to do."  

• Like 1

As much as they want to spin and talk to the media regarding the current situation in the committee, it seems more like they are looking for reasons to make their House Majority Leader look like he did nothing wrong following his decision unethically appoint his brother chairman of a committee. The American people want answers about this unfair situation and no amount of distraction from the Democratic Party is going to change that. Shame that they are trying to validate the decision made by Representative King. 

• Like 1

Name: Guy Hughes

Interviewing Agency: Lufkin Daily News 

”I have heard time and time again during this process of setting up a legal hearing that the Democratic Party is trying to obstruct the hearing. As someone who properly motioned for a hearing under the operating rules of the House, this is about proper process, the rule of law, and the rules that we have followed for decades. We can not throw out our traditions and procedures - designed to guarantee both truth and justice - when the mood hits us. Do this hearing properly and ethically.”

"As far as I'm concerned, I've said my piece regarding the decision taken by Augustus King to commit the act of nepotism by appointing his brother as Chairman of a powerful house committee. I've set out my position and concern on the matter very clearly through the press and media. And I would hope that Augustus mans up and says, you know what, what I did was wrong and there's no place for it in the United States Congress, but that doesn't look likely to happen unfortunately,."

• Like 1

The censure against Jacky Williams has been made based on things that she didn't do. She didn't convene this committee, a member of the Democratic Party did. I think we should base censures on facts and not what you hope to see.

• Like 1

When the core of your argument is about procedure, rather than substance, you know you've lost. The hearing into the Majority Leader's conduct was fully legal, Ranking Member Williams was clearly given the authority of the Chairman, and the Majority Leader's testimony tells you all you need to know. He knows he committed nepotism, he knows it's wrong, and he did it anyways. That's all there is to it.

• Like 1

Name: Malcolm Garvey

Interviewing Agency: WMAR-TV Channel 2

"We have better things in Congress to worry about. We must come together and accept the results of the House Leadership. Augustus King ran unopposed for Majority Leader and won fairly. We have more pressing issues that we must combat to help the people of Baltimore and our Nation."

I filed a motion to condemn nepotism within the federal government wherever it exists. If Augustus believes he did nothing wrong and appointing his brother wasn't nepotism, he can support it and hopefully ferry it through the House of Representatives. This, I think, would affirm his belief that "nepotism degrades our democracy."

"I am glad the leadership of the Democratic Party has now admitted nepotism has occurred, and have now removed Reginald King as Chairman of the Armed Services and Foreign Affairs Committee. I am thankful that they have rectified this ethical dilemma and now we can move on."

• Like 3

I'm glad the Majority Leader did the right thing and removed his brother from the committee. I hope we can put this issue behind us and focus on doing what's right by our country and focusing on the issues that voters want solved.

• Like 1

Name: Stephen Roberts

Party: Democratic

Interviewing Agency: (what local newspaper/radio): The Fresno Bee

I urge the committee on standard of conduct to now look into the illegal subpoena issued by Congresswoman Williams. What she did was disgusting and unbecoming of a lawmaker. If she can't follow the law then how are we supposed to trust her and the rest of the Republicans who stand behind her with the task of making the law?

The Select Committee on Ethics is a step in the right direction, but historically the ethics committee has been made of members from both parties in equal numbers, preventing party line votes and removing a conflict of interest on matters which may be investigated. I will be voting no on the creation of this committee if both parties do not have equal representation on it. No party should have an effective veto over matters which may need looking into.

• Like 2

Name: Kyle Fitzgerald 

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: Houston Post

“I am honored to be selected by my colleagues as the new House Minority Whip. I look forward to helping lead a productive Congress that builds on the success of Ronald Reagan’s presidency and ends it on a high note.”

Name: Ron Tilsley

Interviewing Agency: KXLY-AM Radio (Via telephone)

"I think it's time we wrapped up this nonsense regarding the nepotism controversy.

My main concerns right now are as follows:

1) My party has taken a slight turn to the left. So how, on my part, can I keep the party united when there is an election coming right up? 

2) Where in my party do the progressives in my party and those on the other end of the left spectrum can we agree on in terms of the issues?

To answer the second question, I've already received support from progressives on the gun legislation that I am proposing. Is every Democrat going to be on board with this? Probably not.

But our goal is to prove to the country is that my party can be accepting of different viewpoints, even if they're the opposite of what many Democrats believe in.

If you're for abortion, that's fine. If you're against it and you're a Democrat, I can respect that. It's not that hard to do, really."

Name: Rev. Anderson Kaine  

Party: Republican

Interviewing Agency: The State Journal Register

“While the Far Left is pushing so many Democrats out, seeking to eliminate disagreements within their party through brutal dictatorial methods, I think it is import that we are always reminded that there is a place for them in this country and their voters matter. I welcome any and all Democrats under siege from the Far Left to sit down with me and seek common ground issues so that we can ensure your districts and your voters don't get ignored due to the poor decisions of leadership. And I call on the Democratic Leadership to open their doors to conservative Democrats and end this childish power grab.” 

• Like 1

Name: Augustus Robert King

Interviewing Agency: LA Times

"The first docket is a promise to America, that we will move forward together.No matter who you are, there is a place for you within the Democratic party. We will not be afraid to push bold and new ideas, and we won't be afraid to have civil discourse with anyone, no matter who they are. We are a  big tent party".

Democratic efforts to try and show that they accept all beliefs are nothing but folly. What we have seen so far is the outcast of views not beholden to their own or in agreement to their own. Their leadership is now fractured with the resignation of Teddy King and some other members of their house caucus. No one else created this situation but them and their divisive leadership. American deserves better.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this