Sign in to follow this  
Conrad

Press Office of Michael Marshall

140907_thom_tillis_ap_605.jpg

Marshall hits ground running; elected RNC Chair

WASHINGTON DC - Congressman Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding the start of the session and his election as Chairman of the Republican Party. 

"Firstly, I want to give a huge thanks to the faith that my constituents have placed in me by sending me to Congress for another term. I want to send them a message that I've already got to work for them. As the House of Representatives opened for some preliminary business, I've already submitted three pieces of legislation which will help our schools, help our veterans and reaffirm our commitment to pro-life values.

The School Improvement Act would create a grant program to reduce student-to-teacher ratios in needy schools across the country, giving our teachers a more focused atmosphere equipped for learning and progression for our kids. The Business Veterans Promotion Act would give preference to businesses owned by veterans for federal contracts and goals. The Respecting Life Act would prohibit federal funds from being used for abortion, except in the case of a mothers life being in danger. These are some very commonsense proposals which I think will garner a lot of support from both sides of the aisle. 

In other news, I'm happy to announce that I've been elected as Chairman of the Republican National Committee. And I'm happy to serve the party and my constituents in this role. It's time we get to work for the American people and I'll be happy to do so as this session goes on."

1407776323000-Tillis.jpg?width=580&height=326&fit=crop

Marshall echoes support for Textile Industry 

WASHINGTON DC - Congressman Marshall spoke to members of the press on his co-sponsoring of the Protecting American Textile Manufacturing Act, sponsored by Rep. Doug Seymour.

"I was pretty happy to cosponsor this piece of legislation introduced by Representative Seymour of South Carolina. Right here in North Carolina, we have the biggest textile mill industry in the United States which represents jobs for my district and state. Signing onto this piece of legislation seems only right cause that's what we were elected to Congress to do. 

The piece of legislation itself would protect our industry by placing certain requirements on the trade practices regarding the textile industry and its products. One of the highlights of this piece of legislation, I feel, is its commitment to the industry as a whole and its establishment of a modernization fund, which will allow the industry to keep up with its competitors, with the bill banning exports and imports in textiles from the Soviet Union.

All in all, the bill protects competition and enhances an industry which does wonders for our country and for my district, which is good."

RTX3BYN4-1024x683.jpg

Marshall concerned regarding Democrats latest policy endorsements

WASHINGTON DC - Republican Chairman Marshall spoke to members of the press today over what he called "questionable policy endorsements" regarding members of the Democratic leadership.

"You know, I'd be real concerned right now if I was a rank and file Democrat following the endorsement of the Gender Equity in Education Act. Just like that, the leadership of the Majority Party in Congress have echoed their support for a legislative proposal that will alienate millions of families and individuals across the country. The agenda setters have made their intentions clear this Congress, and it isn't to help the American people. 

Instead of focusing on the big issues like the economy or cutting taxes for Americans, we have decided to direct our focus to promoting sexual orientation and gender identity. This is absolutely nonsense and I question the motives of some of the folks on the other side of the aisle that want to include this type of language in federal statute. It is abhorrent and we should reject it. Let's get back to the issues and push policies which help people, not fall back on some type of identity or dog-whistle politics. 

Not too long ago, the American Psychiatric Association classed these types of people with having a mental disorder, so why on earth are we wanting to increase education opportunity and awareness surrounding them? I call on other members of the Democratic Party to reject this piece of social nonsense."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

a6903c9b4e54b0c5111024514cc683cb6cac9339.jpeg?w=1200&q=65&dpi=2.625&fm=pjpg&h=496

Stand aside if you've nothing to hide

WASHINGTON DC - Republican Chairman Marshall spoke to members of the press today over the refusal of House Majority Leader King to allow an open investigation into the act of appointing his brother as Chairman of the House Armed Forces and Judiciary Committee. 

"I think the situation here is pretty clear, the Acting Chair of the Committee, Mrs Williams moved to invite the House Majority Leader to the committee to answer some questions on his decision to appoint his brother as Chairman of the committee. 

He refused on the basis that there wasn't a vote taken within the committee to invite him to testify, I do wonder why though, that he refuses to come out of his own decision, if his decision was open,. fair and above board. He is only making this process long and drawn out. We too want to see an end to this, because it's upsetting for our democracy, but corruption and nepotism is something that we can't abide by and is why we need to get these questions answered before we move on. This is about appointing an immediate family member to the chair of a committee. Who cares if you worked in law or graduated top of your class? No one is taking your educational attainment or employment away from you. This is about principle, ones which I hope the Democratic Party wish to retain. 

A vote would mean that members of Congress beholden to his ultimate power of patronage would be forced to choose between doing the right thing or affirming their loyalty to the House Majority Leader. I don't think the latter is fair to a duly elected member of the United States Congress, so stand aside. The cloud of grey that has befell the Democratic Party as of late with the election of the King brothers is disheartening, but we can remove that by allowing a committee hearing to take place immediately.

I echo all calls for an open and above board hearing into this decision."

• Like 1

150416180511-sen-thom-tillis-lead-intv-04-16-jpg-exlarge-169.jpg

Speaker should stand aside in all King-related matters

WASHINGTON DC - Republican Chairman Michael Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding the decision of Speaker King to pipe up regarding the ethics violations made by his brother, Augustus.

"I think it sets a dangerous precedent if the Speaker gets involved in this affair, we could have more than one allegation of nepotism and corruption if he were to continue onto this line of questioning. These guys are gonna talk about rules and what have you when Speaker King hasn't even received a full floor vote to actually take that office, but that's if we go down the road of pulling technicalities. A committee was established by Representative Reginald King, as I've said before, took a lot of guts to do and I'm happy he was willing to make this process open and above board, unlike his two younger brothers who seemingly want to dodge and cast a grey cloud over these proceedings. 

Hopefully the current hearing goes ahead and will continue to get to the bottom of these allegations, over what is a very real case of nepotism within the Federal Government. We have laws in place in this country to prevent the conduct which has been exercised by the King brothers, specifically Augustus. As stated before, the Speaker should step back and recuse himself from all current and future proceedings."

• Like 1

o-THOM-TILLIS-facebook.jpg

Democrats clutch at straws over King hearing

WASHINGTON DC - Republican Chairman Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding latest Democratic Party attempts to derail the hearings into their Majority Leader.

"The latest scoop from the Democratic Party members is that Republicans set up this hearing; we did not. The latest scoop is that we aren't following rules; we are following rules from the previous Congress as every Congress before us has done. The House Committee on Ways and Means has existed since 1795, and guess what, the chairman of that committee has the unilateral authority to issue subpoenas. If Congressman King can't answer the questions we pose to him because it would make him look bad, that isn't on us. We aren't asking him difficult questions. 

Congressman King can just not answer our questions or continue to claim his human rights are being violated, or allude to something more than nepotism. But these all sound like excuses. The Republican line of questioning is simply trying to understand why he appointed his brother to a powerful house committee, it is ridiculous to suggest that we are levying criminal charges on him or anything like that. And it's also quite funny to see us being labelled as dictators for asking questions, I wasn't aware this was the case. Members of both parties can ask questions of the House Majority Leader.

We do now however see members of the house majority rally around their leader in what is a very serious concern, violation of ethical standards and one that we still need to find the answer of. With lame excuses and procedural questions which hold no weight and are completely irrelevant to what is happening in Congress at the moment, we see the Democratic Party cast a dark cloud over this process in an attempt to divert the attention away. If Democrats are seriously suggesting that there isn't an issue appointing your brother to a powerful institution in the house, then I don't really know what to say on that front."

• Like 2

180413-thom-tillis-js-1160.jpg

Resolution filed to condemn nepotism in Government

WASHINGTON DC - Republican Chairman Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding his filing of a resolution in the House of Representatives to condemn nepotism wherever it exists in Government.

"With all this talk of nepotism going on, I think it would be good for the House of Representatives to come out and officially condemn nepotism wherever it exists in the three branches of Government. If both parties came around and supported the resolution, then I think that would quell some of the concerns currently laid on the hill regarding the appointment of Reginald King as committee chairman. If some people are saying the law on the matter is unclear, then lets send a message of reaffirmation to the laws passed by previous Congress' to prevent nepotism in Government.

If Augustus King truly believes that he didn't commit an act of nepotism by appointing his own brother as the Chairman of a powerful committee, then I see no reason why he can't support the resolution, same goes for other members of the Democratic Caucus who truly believe their leader did nothing wrong. I would be happy to welcome their support on it and given the purpose of the legislation, its passage through the House so that we can finally get a solid position on where we stand regarding nepotistic behavior." 

• Like 1

Thom%20Tillis%202

Marshall announces support for FCC Decision as "reinforcement of free speech and press"

WASHINGTON DC - Chairman of the Republican Party, Michael Marshall, spoke to members of the press regarding the latest decision by the Federal Communications Commission to repeal the Fairness Doctrine, which has been in place since 1949.

"I for one welcome what is a review of this doctrine and I am glad to see the communications commission go down this path. The fairness doctrine is a rule promulgated in regulations that require broadcasters to present issues of controversial public importance, such as I would say certain Supreme Court decision but do so in a way which is honest, equitable and balanced. Who decides if it's honest, equitable and balanced? The test employed by the fairness doctrine sets a standard to report news and sets requirements for broadcasters to follow.

In short, the fairness doctrine sets a standard on the press to report in a certain matter. Any reasonable bystander would see this is an infringement of the freedom of the press and the freedom of speech. Former Chief Justice, Warren Burger, argued that a press station have its license removed because of the views it expressed regarding segregationist policies, and sure while these views may have been wrong, it still infringed on the freedom of the press that we hold sacred. Seeing action being taken on the fairness doctrine I think, is a reinforcement of free speech and press in our country. 

The press will still report on controversial issues facing the public and give alternative viewpoints, we just don't need a government watchdog watching how they do it and threatening the revocation of their licenses if it doesn't meet some standard. I can anticipate some action being taken by the Congress to codify the fairness doctrine, which I will oppose and I hope many others in Congress join me in doing so."

sen-thom-tillis-is-trailed-by-reporters-reporters-asking-about-court-picture-id1040050924?k=6&m=1040050924&s=594x594&w=0&h=i4yJuKH-K7fRjQMUIbHincziDr12QLGc9mx2sAgAObo=

Iran-Contra Investigation should avoid witch hunt 

WASHINGTON DC - RNC Chairman Michael Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding recent publications by the Tower Commission regarding the Iran-Contra Affair.

"As we see multiple calls in the Congress to open an investigation into the Iran Contra, I think it's important for Congress to refrain from making this a witch hunt against a Republican Administration or an attempt to try and seize the direction or control regarding foreign policy in the United States. I appreciate President Reagan's candor in the matter and I appreciate the frankness that the Tower Commission included in its report. But I think moving forward we should set aside what we would like to see from any investigation and consider the implications of what has happened and what should be done moving forward.

The Executive Branch of the United States has and probably always will be the director and executor of United States Foreign Policy, as we await an investigation and certain testimony from administration officials, I think it is important that at this time we concede this fact. The administration did make mistakes but it is important that we go into any hearing or investigation with an open mind and willingness to consider the implications on policy direction and the facts at hand. We need not make this a wrestling match over foreign policy control between a Republican President and Democratic Congress.

We now await the commencement and findings of any investigation by the House into the matter surrounding Iran and the Contra's."

sen-thom-tillis-walks-to-a-closed-briefing-about-recent-navy-at-sea-picture-id868656518?k=6&m=868656518&s=594x594&w=0&h=wEhvwd762xReP4OxpHLbYPFbMlV_0JKR0gVQQYIPGBE=

Whole House should consider Defense of Marriage Act

WASHINGTON DC - Chairman of the Republican Party Michael Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding the passage of the Defense of Marriage Act in committee.

"I'm happy to see the Defense of Marriage Act pass through committee and now has been received by the House Majority Leader for possible inclusion on a future House Docket. With this passage we see the reinforcement of traditional values and ones which endorse our christian values as one nation under God. The piece of legislation would reinforce states' rights by allowing them to refuse to grant marriage licenses or other benefits to homosexual partners and would define marriage federally as a union between man and woman.

It was a shame to see opposition in committee on this commonsense piece of legislation by a member of both the progressive and boll weevil caucus, one being the Speaker of the House. Their arguments were both unfounded and obtuse in nature, attempting to mask the Defense of Marriage Act as a violation of states' rights and bogus claims of unconstitutionality. It does the exact opposite, and I am proud to co-sponsor it.

The piece of legislation has co-sponsors from both sides of the house so I am confident that if it was brought up, it could pass. The passage into law of the Defense of Marriage Act would represent a serious endorsement, promotion and advancement of American values that so many millions of us hold dear. I call on House Majority Leader King to include it in the next docket."

thom-tillis-1-2000.jpg?w=2000

Iran-Contra Hearing turns into witch hunt

WASHINGTON DC - Republican Chairman Michael Marshall spoke to members of the press regarding the Iran Contra hearing currently in the House Ethics Committee.

"I remember when I spoke some time ago about the dangers that could come of any hearing which Congress undertook regarding Iran-Contra and those fears have now been realized. We had the Tower Commission absolve President Reagan of any knowledge of what happened in the Iran-Contra Affair. That wasn't good enough for Congressional Democrats who now try to bridge the gap between the National Security Council and the President in terms of seeking to know whether or not he had a part to play in this affair. He didn't and it's sad that Democrats refuse to accept it.

I voted to not extend these hearings as I believe them to be a waste of time. The Executive Branch was acting well within its power and authority in this regard, which has been affirmed by the United States Supreme Court and our Constitution at large. What we are seeing here is a re-affirmation by Congressional Democrats to attempt to seize the control of foreign policy from the executive branch, and that's something the Supreme Court said should and can't happen. By saying he wanted to keep the "body and soul of the Contras alive" the President made it clear that he was using his plenary powers under the constitution to power the President to act as the sole organ of the federal government in the field of international relations, something which the Boland Amendments tried to impede on.

It is for these reasons why I would seek to absolve Colonel North and others for any wrongdoing in apparently violating the parameters of the Boland Amendment. It was an unnecessary impediment on the executives ability to conduct the foreign policy of the United States and should be recognized as such. I fully believe in President Reagan's aim to keep the body and soul of the Contra's alive and I fully support the precedent by the Supreme Court in that the President can make these decision even in the face of a Congressional disapproval because the President alone has the power to speak or listen as a representative of the nation and as commander in chief of our armed forces."

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this