Sign in to follow this  
DMH

VGS Reset 2 Timeline Redone

VGS Reset 2 Timeline  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which time period should VGS Reset 2 take place in?

• 1987: AB-simulated Reagan
    • 2019: AB-simulated Trump
    • 2003: AB-simulated Bush

After some consideration, I feel that there is a need to provide the full scope of options for players with this upcoming reset. There was a third idea that was floated around to some players that received an assorted mix of responses but it's an idea that I feel the community at large should have the ability to weigh in on. I want to do another vote with this additional option so I apologize to those who have already given their opinions on the upcoming reset date.

Time Period: 1987

A potential 1987 round would be the most ambitious setting VGS has ever undertaken. Such a time frame would definitely be the most intensive on the AB but it's a challenge we are willing to undertake if the desire to think outside the box is there among the player base. We begin at the end of the Reagan Administration with an announcement from George H. W. Bush that he will not seek the presidency while the Miami Herald finds out about Gary Hart alleged infidelity sooner than expected. A reset in 1987 will put players in a period of significant change in both America and globally. The Soviet Union is on the brink of collapse and the Iron Curtain itself is breaking under the pressure of people across Eastern Europe embracing democracy. The US faces race relations issues, social upheaval, and economic inequality. The 1986 midterms would also be tweaked to allow a more balanced House composition and a competitive Senate. A 1987 reset would allow the AB and players significant amount of freedom to change the course of history.

The idea of 1987 would also mean that we would switch to a house-based simulation as the House allows for both more ideological diversity and literal diversity. The AB is ready to give players the resources they need to immerse themselves in the mind of a Republican or Democrat in the late 1980s just as we are ready to make sure that those who play like it's 2018 are dealt with accordingly. 1987 would be our most ambitious reset to date and one that I'd be happy to take on if the desire is there.

Time Period: 2019

A potential January 2019 round would start us off in the modern era. With President Trump's declaration that he has "Made America Great Again", he announces he is not running for re-election, tweeting "I did more in one term than any other President has done, ever". The Vice President announces that he will not run, and just like that, 2020 is a free for all on both sides. Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed in October, 2018 by a strict, 51-49 party line vote- the first ever nomination to be secured strictly on a partisan vote. The 2018 midterms were a mixed bag- Democratic pickups in Arizona and Tennessee were offset by Republican pickups in Florida and Indiana, so the Republicans maintained their slim, 51-49 majority. The blue wave hit the lower chamber, however, and Democrats won the slightest of House majorities, with 220 Democrats to 215 Republicans. An opportunity, of course, to shape the issues of the day as our world moves forward into the future. We are also open to beginning in 2018 to allow both parties a change to shape those elections if the desire is there.

Time Period: 2003

A potential 2003 round would start us fresh off of the 2002 midterms. With the War in Afghanistan raging on and talks of WMDs in Iraq, America finds itself in a precarious position on the world stage. The "Axis of Evil" has been identified and the Bush Adminstration is ready to bring the fight to them. We have begun to enter the digital age and politics as we know it, while still very pre-2000 in terms of attitude and cordiality, is changing rapidly. Social issues have a renewed focus with the economy stimulated by massive tax cuts but economic inequality remains as prevalent as ever. George W. Bush will announce his decision to not enter the upcoming 2004 presidential election, leaving a wide-open field to change the course of America forever. The 2003 reset gives the opportunity for players to reshape recent modern history in their own way while also placing a renewed emphaisis on foreign policy and political identity as both parties struggle to find where they stand in a rapidly evolving political climate.

• Like 2

Are we going to use modern census data when determining which seats we pick or will a guide be provided?-if we do 1987

• Like 2

None of the three are thrilling from my  point of view, but I'm not sure that it's possible for there to be one which would be.

2019 - I find modern politics depressing. We have laid the Honorable John McCain to rest, and with him probably any concept of the good of the country before the good of the party - whatever the party may be pushing at this time.

1987 - I remember 1987. It was still acceptable for leaders of both parties to sit down and hammer out their differences.  However, earlier times tend to be played by many of the players as being post-2000, or worse, "House of Cards". How does the AB intend to prevent that? (been there, tried to do that, it's NOT easy, folks)

2003 - I think any idea of cooperative politics started to crash with the Republican majority in the House during the Clinton years. While it is my own view, I tend to look at the game as a simulation of government, with the intent to deal with the problems that arise and potentially develop an alternative approach.  Experience suggests most players are focused on "winning the issues", even to the extent of destroying their own proposals if the other side adopts them. (does anyone remember that "Obamacare" was based on Republican proposals?)

Now, I have been buried in work over the last half year, so I have not even poked my nose in, so I COULD be wrong on how the player base behaves (I pray I am).

• Haha 2

1987 sounds fun but I worry about how much it could increase the workload for players and especially admins in terms of having to do research to simulate a time that most of us weren’t around for. 

My preference is 2019 then 2003 for that reason

1 hour ago, Matt said:

1987 sounds fun but I worry about how much it could increase the workload for players and especially admins in terms of having to do research to simulate a time that most of us weren’t around for. 

My preference is 2019 then 2003 for that reason

I think that's what makes 1987 a brilliant gamble. Every AB in my time has largely rejected the mere idea of any pre-99 or so political era (even 10 year ago), even with the founding of VGS many called us crazy or were resentful for just going a bit earlier to the '98 midterms and we had some growing pains making it work, but while messy it was still a very memorable sandbox round. The founding principle of VGS was not to merely continue VUSA, but to take that base of a game and community and use the opportunity to try and make things better and tinker, and while probably more of these ideas by various ABs have been relatively shortlived or moderated over time than haven't as is the nature with experimentation, I still think outside of the box is better than mining familiarity. 

Would such a timeline mean more work across the board? Most likely, yes, there's a reason why so many sims before have resisted the temptation. Does it increase the likelihood of failure? Absolutely, there's very little base outside of briefly operational start-up side sims who have even really tried. However, more importantly, does it level the playing board between veteran players who have played 2000-2012 a million times like myself and you Matt and many of us which make many 00s-based sims skew towards us and late Obama-era towards modern day sims skew against anybody of any generation who loathes the monotone propose-and-spin that is modern political thought? I think that one is totally rhetorical, but the idea of every single person from AB down being brought nearly equally out of their comfort level is something you almost never get in "major" sim.

As both an Admin and player, on VGS I don't think I've once ever see 15 people vote one way in one of these OOC polls, even universal MVP Admins well liked by most rarely getting more than like 13-1 approvals. If I had to guess, its the same reason why I was one of those 15: its an exciting unknown which could fail easily, but VGS has had two rounds in one year (one of which was a sandbox dubbed Round 0 that somehow grew into its own thing) which some other games can and do knock out in 3-4 months, it has earned the right to take a swing for the fences and by doing what so many have been afraid of trying never have could get a much bigger hit. My work with DMH on the AB this past run proved that he is never afraid of research and even less afraid of the unknown or offending anybody's sensibilities, its why I told Cyril before Anderson resigned publicly DMH would be my personal choice to replace him and I believe many other agreed: if anybody can make it work, he'd be one of the few I'd trust.

• Like 2