Sign in to follow this  
Storm

Hearing for the Mistreatment and Abuse in the US Prison System

17 hours ago, Gally said:

Mr. Chairman, 

As I feel like it is the duty of this committee to investigate these reports of abuse to the fullest extent, and seeing as our time for this hearing has expired, I motion to extend this hearing until a majority of its members vote to close the hearing. 

Furthermore, as Mr. Samuels and Mr. Daniels have shown their inability to answer the questions of this committee with any accuracy, I see no further point in having them appear before this committee. I ask that they be dismissed from this hearing. 

Now, for our newest arrivals, I'd like to start with Director Hylton. First, let me start by thanking you for appearing before our committee today. Upon reviewing these documents *holds up those passed out by the Senate page* it seems like you were one of the few people who wanted to investigate these claims. Why question to you is simple: why didn't you? And who to your knowledge, is responsible for deleting or misplacing record from the past year? 

Mr. Chandler, let me start by saying that after reviewing these documents, and if these abuse allegations were found to be true, and I was your superior, you'd be out the door. I can't believe someone would rise to the position of Warden and allow this to occur under their leadership. This is a reflection of you and, let me be honest, your reflection is ugly. My question to you is: did the events described in this report for December 25th, 2015, where an inmate died of an apparent suicide, take place? What became of Corrections Officer 9023? 

I yield back the balance of my time. 

Stacia A. Hylton

Director of the US Marshals

Simple, senator the BOP refused us access to the inmates we wanted to interview, when my marshals would show up, they found out the inmate had been sent to solitary and could not be seen by anyone. As I do not work in the BOP I would have no idea who would delete or misplace records.

Rodney Chandler

Warden of Fort Worth Prison

Yes the event took place, and as the incident report states she was transferred to another federal facility. 

(Please ask one question at a time)

Director Hylton and Warden Chandler,

Was there a way for either of you to have these complaints investigated that didn't go through the Bureau of Prisons? Could either of you have independently reached out to see that an investigation was opened? If there is a way, why did you choose not to?

Warden Chandler

Which abuses were sent to the BOP for further investigation? 

11 minutes ago, Clay said:

Director Hylton and Warden Chandler,

Was there a way for either of you to have these complaints investigated that didn't go through the Bureau of Prisons? Could either of you have independently reached out to see that an investigation was opened? If there is a way, why did you choose not to?

Stacia A. Hylton

Senator, for us it would be impossible, the BOP was not forth coming with information, neglected to respond to any of my letters, refused my marshals to interview the alleged victims. We continued to pressure the BOP for two years with no avail with some of my marshals reporting they where intimidated by BOP officials and corrections staff. The only alternative was to go to the OIG and even then all we had was hearsay. The incident reports where not given to us until months after the reported incident occurred.

Rodney Chandler

BOP is tasked with launching an internal investigation alongside my office. They are suppose to alert the OIG as soon as possible since the passage of the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003. They did not contact my office after the incident reports where sent in.

Mr.Chairman

I motion to summon correctional officers 3090, Peters, Alexander and Ms.Deborah Schult of the BOP.

I Yield

9 minutes ago, Storm said:

Warden Chandler

Which abuses were sent to the BOP for further investigation? 

Rodney Chandler

The incident involving Inmate 31496-198 was sent to BOP, I heard nothing from them afterwards.

Director Hylton,

Did you not feel that you should at least make the OIG aware of the allegations? If the Bureau of Prisons was being uncooperative, then do you not feel that it is your duty to reach out to OIG to see what they could do to get the BOP to cooperate? 

7 minutes ago, Clay said:

Director Hylton,

Did you not feel that you should at least make the OIG aware of the allegations? If the Bureau of Prisons was being uncooperative, then do you not feel that it is your duty to reach out to OIG to see what they could do to get the BOP to cooperate? 

Stacia A. Hylton

At the time no, we did not see it as a priority, we where only getting one or two reports within the two year period,  and we are tasked with various other duties and responsibilities . 

In practice, generally the FBI investigates inmate-on-inmate sexual abuse, and the OIG investigates staff-on-inmate criminal sexual abuse. The OIG refers the remaining allegations to the BOP or USMS for investigation. If OIG investigators substantiate an allegation of criminal sexual abuse, they refer the case to the U.S. Attorney in the district where the allegation arose, the DOJ Civil Rights Division, or the DOJ Public Integrity Section for a decision on whether to prosecute the offense.

Director Hylton,

How many reports would you need in order to consider going straight to the OIG? Is the suffering of one prisoner not enough for you to take action?

Mr. Chairman, 

Point of Order: I will reiterate my statements made prior to asking my previous questions:

"As I feel like it is the duty of this committee to investigate these reports of abuse to the fullest extent, and seeing as our time for this hearing has expired, I motion to extend this hearing until a majority of its members vote to close the hearing."

The continuation of this hearing is out of order as the time has officially expired. I have motioned to extend this indefinitely until a majority of members vote to close the hearing, but it still requires a second and a vote. I ask my colleagues to join me in extending this committee hearing so that we can continue to work for the people of this great nation but do so in a manner that complies with our Senate Rules. 

I yield. 

At the time the motion was made, the hearing was actually at the 48 hour mark

Mr.President,

I will second the motion to extend indefinitely.

I Yield

The motion to extend indefinitely and to end hearing when the majority of members vote to do so have been recognized. 24 hours to vote.

18 hours ago, Clay said:

Director Hylton,

How many reports would you need in order to consider going straight to the OIG? Is the suffering of one prisoner not enough for you to take action?

Stacia A. Hylton

As we only got one  or two reports in over two years, we did not deem it to be significant enough senator. Especially when we had no evidence or witness testimony to take to the OIG. 

Mr.Chairman,

I motion to summon M.D Michael Fishburn to testify at this hearing.

I Yield                         

Sign in to follow this