Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Attorney General Nomination

With a vote of 4 aye and 3 nay, this nomination passes the committee

Edited by Storm

We will now begin debate on the confirmation of the Attorney General Nomination. Debate will end when cloture is invoked.

The motion for UC has been recognized. 24 hours to object.

Edited by Storm

Mr. President,

After reviewing the Committee Hearings and statements from the Nominee, I believe she is the best fit for the position of Attorney General. She has proven to the Senate that she is fit to serve as the head of the Department of Justice and contrary to past remarks by the Minority Leader, I believe she has a very well developed and very outstanding resume that makes her fully qualified. I believe we should confirm Mrs. Butler because she has demonstrated that she can and will do the job of Attorney General Effectively.

I yield.

Mr President,

You know, unlike members of the majority party opposite, we on this side of the aisle re-look at issues and questions, rather than just moving to table or to re-commit to some committee. Or as the Senator from Hawaii has previously demonstrated - not even reading the substance of bills and amendments. However, as I mentioned before, the whip will not be exercised on this nominee, but I still, personally, oppose her nomination as the next Attorney General of the United States and that is why I objected to unanimous consent.

I yield.

With a vote of 52 aye and 48 nay the motion for cloture has failed. Debate continues..... 

Mr. President,

I must say that this is dismaying to see that our Senate cannot come to terms to support the nomination of Tracie Butler for Attorney General of the United States. I have said it and I will say it again, that she is qualified. Republicans had no interest in her hearing and tried to attack her for having what they call an underdeveloped resume. Now they vote along party lines to not confirm her. I am very disappointed by the results of this vote and would again ask the GOP the reconsider and vote to confirm her now.

Mr President,

Point of Information; is the Senator from Hawaii intending to filibuster this nomination?

I yield.

Sign in to follow this