Sign in to follow this  
DMH

@nytimes

Breaking News from the NY Times. RT's do not mean endorsements.

@nytimes: "VA will not follow mental health state mandate in NY SAFE Act" - VA Spokesman

@nytimes: VA cites federal law and privacy in reasoning for action.

@nytimes: Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch Passes from Heart Failure!

@nytimes: Vice President Kline to attend funeral as White House representative!

• Sad 1

@nytimes: Supreme Court Rules Section 3 of DOMA Unconstitutional in 5-4 Decision!

• Like 1

@nytimes: Lois Lerner Admits IRA Inappropriately Scrutinized Conservative-Leaning Tax Exempt Organizations!

@nytimes: Admission Comes Before Internal IRS Audit is Expected for Public Release!

• Sad 1

@nytimes: NJ Senate President Stephen Sweeney Launches Bid to Face Christie in November!

@nytimes: DNC throws support to Sweeney as he faces Barbara Buono in the upcoming primary.

@nytimes: Primary between Buono and Sweeney expected to be close!

@nytimes: Virginia House Delegate Ben Cline jumps into VA Republican Primary with support of RNC!

@nytimes: Cuccinelli and Bolling reported both upset with decision from the RNC.

@nytimes: Governor McDonnell mum on who he will endorse in the upcoming primary.

@NYTimes: Republican national security officials begin to attack commutation of Jonathan Pollard, the American sentenced to life under Espionage Act. Former VP Dick Cheney calls it "a disregard for U.S. national security." 

--

@NYTimes: Former Obama CoS Pete Rouse called the decision "haphazard" and "unfortunate for the President."

@NYTIMES: BREAKING: Leaked documents show that the U.S. maintains a massive surveillance program used to record and store phone, text and internet communications from American's. 

--

@NYTIMES: The large amount of documents reveal relationships between the government and companies such as Yahoo and Verizon, who "actively cooperated" with the NSA to assist with surveillance. 

--

@NYTIMES: Documents show the NSA worked to hack and surveil foreign ambassadors and high-level foreign government officials, a practice described as "common-place."

@NYTimes: Jonathan Pollard to settle in Israel within the month according to report from the Jerusalem Post.
@NYTimes: Since his commutation by former President Jack Kline, Pollard has been living in New York
@NYTimes: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to met Pollard & wife at Ben-Gurion Airport

@NYTimes: White House official claims Senator Zamora has never reached out to the White House nor Justice Kelly to arrange a meeting.

• Like 1

@NYTimes: Bahamian officials have told media that the death toll has risen to 190 people, while people missing have jumped from 300 to 450

@NYTimes: 20,000 homes have been destroyed or damaged, rescue crews struggling with the amount of trapped people in homes

@NYTimes: American embassy in the Bahamas have reported atleast 60 Americans can not be accounted for

• Like 1

@NYTimes: School board officials across country deny sharing photos of frozen poor quality vegetables to media. 

@NYTimes: Breaking: Senator Hillary Edwards has been refused entry to see any prisoners on strike at Beaumont by direct orders from Warden Charles Daniels.

• Like 2

@NYTimes: Unconfirmed reports have indicated that Warden Charles Daniels may refuse to attend a congressional hearing on Beamount.

@NYTimes: According to prison staff, inmates at Ely State Prison in Nevada have also begun to follow the protest methods at Beamount.

@NYTimes: Inmates who have been caught in the act of smearing their walls have been sent to solitary according to unofficial reports.

@NYTimes: According to unnamed sources, Governors Edwards, Ivey, and Perry are attempting to contact their congressional delegation to vote down the hurricane aid bill on the senate floor.

@NYTimes: Sources claim unless the Gally amendment is included in the bill, all three governors will work together to put pressure on their state representation to vote it down.

@NYTimes: “REPORT: Shipments of U.S. food and medical supplies beginning to arrive in al-Mafraq, Jordan, for distribution in Syria”

@NYTimes: NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio has been rushed to hospital after an attempted shiv attack while visiting Rikers 

@NYTimes: Doctors have confirmed the mayor is suffering from moderate injuries 

@NYTimes: Several state and federal wardens have requested local, state, and federal politicians to cease contacting them to visit their prisons

@NYTimes: Claim their prison guards can not adequately provide said politicians with protection while touring and meeting inmates

• Like 1

@NYTimes: A letter has been leaked that shows that Director Samuels of the BOP knew about abuse allegations since 2016

@NYTimes:  The letter also implies the director knew about the abuse at Fort Worth and did nothing

April 22, 2016

To: Charles E Samuels Jr, DIRECTOR, Federal Bureau of Prisons

To Director Samuels:

As you know The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and the U.S. Marshals Service (USMS) have custodial control of federal prisoners and are responsible for maintaining safe, humane, and secure facilities. BOP and USMS officials are responsible for reporting all allegations of staff physical and sexual abuse and sexual misconduct to the Department’s Office of the Inspector General (OIG).

It has come to my attention that BOP officials have declined to report allegations of staff physical and sexual abuse and sexual misconduct several times to the OIG, to even ignoring complaints of inmates. This has been a concern to me and my staff as we share the responsibility of maintaining the safety of not only our federal prisons but the inmates themselves. This is the second time I have contacted your office to no avail about these complaints, I have sent a memo on June 1st, 2015 expressing my concern about the increase of inmate allegations of abuse both physical and sexual and your office’s lack of concern to even investigate or inform the OIG about these allegations.

When I contacted the wardens where most of the allegations have arisen, the wardens directed me back to your office and stated they had been told not to start official investigations until they obtained your express permission to do so, it is too my knowledge you have still not granted them permission to do so.

It is disturbing as reports of Fort Worth have made it to my office suggesting extreme cases of prisoner abuse and yet not a single investigation has been started by the BOP and in same cases officials of the USMS have been refused access to investigate or even pressured with intimidation by your own officials not to investigate and not to inform the OIG.

One case at Fort Worth involved a 60-year-old mentally handicapped inmate who was beaten and repeatedly sodomized by two female prison guards. BOP officials refused to have us launch a joint investigation into the matter and even now my officers have yet to even interview the victim due to him being sent to solitary confinement for alleged infractions.

I believe this is incredibly damaging to the overall structure of the federal prison system and the BOP and I request your immediate answer and action to my growing concerns.

Sincerely,

Stacia A. Hylton

DIRECTOR, U.S. Marshals Service

@NYTimes: According to new polling, 62% of Americans believe the BOP is covering up potential abuse cases.

@NYTimes: 44% of Americans believe that President LeClavers and his administration have failed to address the growing scandal.

@NYTimes:  51% of Americans support the Republican calls to appoint the inspector general to investigate the federal prison system.

@NYTimesU.S. House of Representatives will begin deliberating Baudin nomination in House Judiciary committee. According to sources, a faction of progressives are looking to mount opposition to Baudin, following the lead of several Senate colleagues. 

-- 

@NYTimes: Sources say Reps Elijah Cummings (D-MD) and Maxine Waters (D-CA) will vote against Baudin nomination and are "supremely disappointed" with President LeClavers' inability to quell concerns from top Democrats.

• Like 1

@NYTimes: Mr. "X" the whistle-blower on Fort Worth abuse scandal releases autopsy report on inmate 02200-379.

@NYTimes: “Reports emerging of mass arrests of Kurds in Turkey. #Developing”

@NYTimes: "President LeClavers address: Assad 'must be shown the door'"

@NYTimes: "POTUS announces air strikes against Syrian govt."

• Like 1