Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Press Office of the President of the United States

The White House
Office of the President
For Immediate Release

President Announces Bipartisan Budget Talks

Today the President announced the first bipartisan talks of his presidency. Two members of the Republican Party and Democratic party will be meeting with the President in the Roosevelt room to reach a budget deal for the next two fiscal years. The President has made reducing the deficit a key priority. It has been over a decade since this nation has seen a budget surplus, and it is time for us to once again take strides towards a balanced budget. In this budget, the President will put our nation on track to see a budget surplus by the end of his term. This administration will work towards solutions to the difficult problems facing our nations instead of pushing them down the road for our children to deal with. Today the President affirms his commitment to a better America for our children.     

The White House
Office of the President
For Immediate Release
President supports the Hydraulic Fracturing Chemical Disclosure Act

Clean water for all is a human right. The right to clean water as well as the health and safety of the American people should not be a partisan issue. We live in the most powerful nation in the world where no one should ever have to question the quality of their water supply. No American should be denied the knowledge of what chemicals are being used in fracking that could potentially contaminate their water supply. How can we expect the American public to ever trust our Government and our corporations when we are anything but completely transparent? This bill is a simple disclosure because the American people deserve transparency. If the Republicans in Congress truly believe fracking is completely safe then why are they so opposed to giving the American public transparency.   

• Like 2

The White House
Office of the President
For Immediate Release
President Calls upon Senate to Confirm Perez

Tom Perez is extremely qualified to serve as the United States Secretary of Labor. Tom Perez is the first US labor nominee to have served as a secretary of labor on the state level.  In that role, Perez led to reduce workplace fraud, stopping employers from denying them benefits by classifying them as contractors. The bill was signed to "ensure that employers who attempt to cheat the system, their workers and their competitors, will pay a steep price for their actions". In 2009, he went on to serve as assistant attorney general for civil rights where he helped secure the passage of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Tom Perez is not only qualified to defend American workers and has the experience to make a real difference.

Edited by Michael

The White House
Office of the President

President nominates Marcus Swanson as next VP

Washington, D.C: President Kline earlier today nominated Governor Marcus Swanson as his vice president, quickly filling the role since he came to office. The president told the press that he believed that Governor Swanson was more than qualified to fulfill the office of vice president with his long dedicated service in public service and urged Congress to quickly grant the governor a hearing and quick confirmation.

"I am more than confident that Governor Swanson will do well in his confirmation hearings  and I am proud in calling him a friend. The governor is qualified for the role, being a congressman, a senator, and as governor of Michigan I have every faith in his ability to serve and I hope that Congress will see that ability. The office of Vice President is an important role, one that I especially deem important for the stability and continuation of government. I hope to see the nomination  confirmed quickly."   

The White House
Office of the President

President calls on Senate Republicans to present budget offer

Miami, Florida:  Speaking to members of the press after a visit to a local high school in Florida, President Kline expressed his disappointment with the lack of any talks concerning the budget with the upcoming budget shut down nearing. The president stated that Democrats under Senate Majority Leader Lewis Clayborne had presented their budget plan after days of waiting for Republicans to present their own after being promised by Senate Whip Senator Singh. The president expressed his frustration but also hope that the Democratic budget deal would be received positively, with over $1 trillion in savings over ten years and increased spending in infrastructure, something that President Kline and SML Clayborne had discussed previously.   

“The budget is my primary concern; we only have a few days left before the government is shut down effecting essential government services that you the American people need. At this time it is a fact that reductions must happen but those reductions must be fair and humane in which they do not affect social security and other welfare service programs. I will not sign a budget which will see social security and Medicare gutted, we have a commitment to senior citizens and Americans who are need those services. In the budget proposed, we will be injecting money into infrastructure and science and development two areas that will strengthen our economic growth and ability to employ thousands of Americans and fix our crumbling infrastructure. I want to see the Republican counter offer after being promised it days ago, the American people are counting on us to avoid a shut down and I expect to sign a budget before that deadline is reached.”

The White House
Office of the President      

President deeply concerned by GOP refusal to negotiate budget

Washington, D.C:  Speaking to reporters expressing his frustration, President Kline expressed his amazement by senate Republicans who have all but refused to come back to the table for budget talks. The president stated that Democrats led by Senator Clayborne had consistently laid out the Democratic proposal, which included reserving the damaging effects of sequestration, reducing waste and inefficiency by $1.5 trillion over ten years  and increasing infrastructure spending, science spending, veterans care, and national security. Instead the Republicans sent in a negotiator who proposed to cut massive amounts in social security  and medicare and refused every Democratic offer presented. The president made clear at the start of budget talks he would not sign a budget that included severe entitlement reform which the GOP ultimately presented during their lackluster and failed attempts at budget negotiations.

"I am severely disappointed and can only state that budget talks have broken down again. The GOP have failed to take budget talks seriously, we have come to the table with every proposal that would make this a bipartisan effort but the senate minority leader and others have shown they do not take the talks seriously. I will veto any budget that includes cuts to entitlements that will negatively affect seniors and low-income Americans. That is something that is non-negotiable and if the Republicans want to bring on a government shut down that will be on them not on us as we have been open and fair to budget talks since they started. Senator Clayborne has led negotiations brilliantly and I have every confidence in him however I have no fair in senate republicans who have said anything in the budget talks for days. This can not continue, we must have a budget deal not a shut down."

• Haha 1

The White House
Office of the President      

President nominates PPT Harrison LeClavers as next VP

Washington, D.C: Earlier this morning in the rose garden, President Kline announced his pick for vice president as Harrison LeClavers the current president pro tempore. The president stated in his belief that Senator LeClavers would make an excellent vice president due to his experience in the senate and a shake up in Washington. The president was quick to defend his nominee against attacks already launched against  LeClavers calling the calls of inexperience and bias concerning the IRS committee absurd.

"Senator LeClavers is an excellent  choice as vice president, he's led the senate with class and ability and I believe as the next vice president he will do so. As for the calls already stating that he has less experience than JFK, if the nation can elect a move star as governor and then later president of this country, we can stand by a vice president that was a soldier, business owner, and a politician. Senator LeClavers represents the American dream of hard work and success, are we now opposed to that because the senator hasn't served for decades? That's nonsense and I believe he'll do a tremendous job as we have seen. If all we can attack him on is experience then I'm ready to fight to ensure this nomination goes through and LeClavers becomes the next vice president." 

Posted (edited)
 The White House
Office of the President    

President Kline: "Pollard no longer a threat"

Raleigh, North Carolina:  Speaking to reporters after touring a Red Hat software factory in Raleigh, president Jack Kline addressed the recent controversy over his decision to commute the sentence of Jonathan Pollard, the American who sold secrets to Israel. The president stated that Pollard's information that was given to Israel was atleast 27 years old and posed no significant danger to the United States . The president stated he took into account Pollard's age and declining health in recent years as to why he commuted his sentence. The president also took into consideration the various people who have called on Pollard to be commuted such as former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of State George Schultz and numerous others. 
Edited by Avner

The White House

Office of the President 

Presidents supports Israel's right to self-defense against Hamas

Washington, D.C: In the Rose Garden, the President announced his support for the State of Israel as they engaged in hostilities against Hamas for repeated terrorist attacks against the State of Israel. The President stated his belief that Israel has the 'absolute right' to self-defense, though he encouraged both sides to show restraint and to attempt to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe from happening in the region. 

"Just the other day, Israel launched an attack on Hamas, a known terrorist group that has repeatedly launched rocket attacks at Israeli civilians. Israel, like any other country, has the right to self-defense- they have the right to respond when its citizens are being attacked, and they are simply responding to that. No nation in the world should endure rocket attacks being fired into its own borders, and any nation would have the right to respond in a way that ensures these rocket attacks do not happen again. However, while we say that, we must encourage that Israel conduct this war in a way that will minimize, as much as possible, civilian casualties in Gaza. The United States will remain a partner in the region, in a way that will promote both short-term and long-term peace."

• Like 1

The White House

Office of the President 

President speaks about education reform on the HIll

Washington, D.C: In the Press Briefing Room, the President spoke briefly about his own executive order on education and on the Merchant Amendment.

"Recently, this Administration had an executive order that would help rectify the inbalance between high performing and low performing school districts. With our eye towards improving our educational system from the bottom up, we allocated $30 billion dollars in targeted funding towards improving our schools all over this country. This Administration has created an $8 billion dollar pre-Kindergarten program, because we understand the importance of educating our children from a very young age. Instead of preschool only being available to those with the economic capability to pay for it, we are treating preschool like this country has always treated grade school- something that all students should have the opportunity to access, regardless of the economic capabilities of their parents. This will help increase upward mobility, and will make a big difference. 

Of course, that is simply a small part of that executive order. From investing further in technical, non-traditional post-secondary education, to revolutionizing community college education by working with the states to provide two years of community college education free of charge to students, we have made big steps forward in improving our educational system. These are strong steps being taken that will, fundamentally, help our students. Congress was working on a previously bipartisan bill to go forward in that direction, with less standardized tests. However, the Senate Majority decided to use the oppotunity to launch a broadsided attack towards our teachers- the backbone of America's educational system. 

It saddens me to see that America's schoolteachers are, consistently, the most attacked profession in America. What teachers deal with here- who are often working 50+ hour weeks in growing classrooms. An education system that is underfunded. And a political system where politicans think that broadsided attacks on their professions are a good idea. It is not, and I will not stand for the injustice of the Merchant Amendment- legislation that, instead of helping attendance, will serve only to punish our nation's educators for working in struggling school districts, and drive some of America's best and brightest out of the profession altogether. Is that what we really want? That is why, though I doubt this will reach my desk, I will veto any legislation with the Merchant amendment incorporated- it is a disaster for our students, our educators, and our country as a whole- and I have a duty to stand against it."

• Like 1

The White House

Office of the President 

President speaks about the National Security Agency; Kline Executive Order

Washington, D.C: In the Press Briefing Room, the President spoke briefly about the recent controversies surrounding the National Security Agency

"Recently, news was leaked that came out about recent actions taken by the National Security Agency. A lot has come out, and as the head of the Executive Branch, I feel it appropriate to come out with a response. It has talked about data, and there has been a lot of words being splashed around- I want to go out and speak directly to the American people, to ensure that the facts are out on what the NSA does, their legality, how the American people benefit. First of all, i would say, that this Administration should and will fully cooperate with Congressional efforts to exercise their role of executive oversight. We strongly believe in the Constitution and the separation of powers that is given to us, and I strongly believe that the process should be played out here, without endangering our national security interests."

"One of the most controversial things that came out was the collection of metadata from phone conversations. Now, of course, let me be clear- this was metadata collected in programs authorized by Congress, and upheld repeatedly by the FISA courts. Let me be clear on what this is not. This is not blanket wiretapping on the conversations of American citizens. This is targeted data collection, for the prevention of terrorist attacks. The National Security Agency is not listening into phone conversations- they are simply working with allied companies to ensure that we can take the steps necessary to prevent terror attacks on American soil and abroad. 

That said, this Administration is taking the concerns of many people on these issues seriously. The White House itself will be conducting an internal review of the current programs and practices at the National Security Agency, and we will change anything that we feel is necessary in order to ensure that civil liberties and rights are protected. Just a reminder, these programs do run with authorization from both the Congress and the courts- so these are not some rogue programs."

When President LeClavers was asked about the Thomas Woods situation, he said that it would be 'inappropriate' for him to talk about an individual case like that, but that it was a shame that somebody who served this country so honorably has been in jail for 10 years for possession of marijuana. He said that tough on crime laws were clearly not working, as they did not make communities safer, costs states a whole bunch of money, and forced people to languish in jail for no good reason. 

• Like 1

The White House

Office of the President 

President speaks about tragedy in New Mexico

Washington, D.C: In the Press Briefing Room, the President spoke about the ongoing crisis in New Mexico.

"The news coming out of New Mexico has been tragic. 13 people dead in these protests- meaning that 15 lives have been unnecessarily lost, have been thrown away. This is a terrible tragedy, and regardless of your side, is a day that we should mourn. 13 people dying, who were protesting in favor of their chosen political beliefs. There should be no controversy- 13 people lost a son or daughter, people lost siblings, maybe a husband or a wife. The loss of life, especially when doing the most American of actions- speaking out your mind on your own political beliefs- is something that should always be mourned. 

Now, of course, to speak directly about the situation- all political violence should be condemned. Here in the United States, first amendment rights are something that we hold deeply- that the freedom of speech should be respected. And that, my friends, is the core of the foundation of a democracy. Without the right to freedom of speech, democracy is gone. That is why political violence, such as the driver who mowed down protesters today in New Mexico, is so absolutely abhorrent. Political violence is the number 1 threat to freedom of speech- if people fear as if the legitimate expression of their political violence will be met with physical violence, that threatens the very core of who we are as a democracy. That is why I condemn it in all of its forms. 

That is why the actions today must be vehemently condemned all across the political spectrum- further attacks over political opinion will simply bring down all that we've built in this country,. The traditions from our Founding Fathers would condemn these moves, and that is why I stand here today, condemning the violence myself. While we do that, we must condemn the neo-Nazis who perpetuated the violence in this scene. They are, indeed, such a small fragment of the population- but inherently, their actions are anti-democratic. They spat on the will and intentions of our nation's Founding Fathers by instigating violence over a protest that they happened to disagree with. Over a quarter of a million of American heroes died on the European continent fighting the rise of Naziism and Fascism during World War II- it would be an insult to their memory and sacrifice if we stood here and legitimized the neo-Nazi movement and their tactics."

The President then said that he would indeed travel to New Mexico himself, alongside Senator Clayborne, Secretary Kobayashi-Diaz, and Vice President Bennett, to meet with members of unidoesUS. He also promised to take action to ensure that the type of tragedy that happened to the Reyes family would never happen again.

The White House

Executive Office of the President

President announces immigration initiative 

WASHINGTON, D.C.- The President has unveiled a series of executive orders that will serve to improve the just administration and proper enforcement of our immigration laws. For too long, our immigration system has been marred by cases of irrationality, inhumanity, and bureaucratic malaise. These orders fix those errors as much as possible within the law. President LeClavers is exceptionally proud of this effort, and is thankful to all staffers who helped make this a reality.

Firstly, the President has ordered that individuals going through our immigration court must now be entitled to a lawyer. The right to a lawyer, perceived by most Americans as rightfully a critical component of a fair hearing and just due process, has long been absent in our immigration courts. This order fixes that. Only 15% of deterred immigrants can currently afford counsel; the establishment of the Office of Public Defender will change that.

Secondly, in order to improve our immigration enforcement and strengthen our border security, the President has directed the funds appropriated under the budget for new, innovative, and effective methods of securing our border and reducing the numbers of illegal immigration. Border and customs enforcement agents will receive more resources and more pay, with more technology. Border communities will receive funds necessary, in their infrastructure and public services, to cope with immigration flows. The channels of legal immigration will be improved, rationalised, reducing backlogs. We will work with other countries to reduce the "push factors" that encourage people to come here via illegal and undocumented channels, and to prioritise the prevention of criminals, smugglers, and terrorists exploiting deficiencies in border security.

Thirdly, we are ensuring all agencies involved in border enforcement prioritise deporting recent arrivals, those who pose safety threats and criminals. 

Fourthly, we are replacing the failed Secure Communities program with the Priority Enforcement Program, to better achieve the laudable policy goal of cooperating with local law enforcement agencies to enforce our laws. PEP will have a far better record on Fourth Amendment protections, and will enforce the policy of prioritising violent criminals and those who pose public order and safety risks to the American people.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services shall consider economic growth and job creation when pursuing its mission. This shall ensure reasonable, pragmatic enforcement that helps grow the American economy by making us an attractive place for the best ideas and talents.

Ensuring family unity is a priority of this administration. Four policies shall be implemented to this end. We will end the bureaucratic anomaly that forces undocumented immigrants, who marry an American or a legal resident, to move abroad to apply for a green card, but then get trapped by other rules that prevent them returning to America for ten years. We will use "humanitarian parole" in a systemised way to close this perverse loophole. 

We will recognise, in making deportation decisions, that splitting apart family members in itself intrinsically counts as an "extreme hardship". This will ensure a fairer and more proportionate application of our immigration laws. 

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, has been an astounding success. It is now appropriate to expand it, to provide support for more individuals who fit the spirit of the program's aims. The cutoff date for eligibility shall be brought forward five years, the maximum age shall be lifted, and the deferral period shall be increased. To reflect DACA's success, we must also acknowledge that many Americans live in fear of their parents being deported. As such, for individuals who have built up lives here and are raising American children, a new program, Deferred Action for Parents of Americans, shall be created. 

It remains the preference of the President to fix our immigration system via legislation, and indeed that remains a necessity to ensure a long-term sustainable immigration system that best promotes economic prosperity, security, and just treatment for all Americans and all immigrants to America. However, due to the polarised nature of Congress and the failed attempts to enact previous immigration reform efforts, we cannot place all our hopes in legislation alone. As such, within the President's constitutional and statutory powers, these steps are being taken in order to ensure our immigration system functions as effectively and humanely within the current legal parameters as possible. It will ensure families are not split apart unnecessarily, that egregious administrative obstacles do not get in the way of meeting the current law's intent, that our border security professionals are well-equipped and well-paid, and that it is violent criminals, rather than those who lived here peacefully for years, who are the focus of deportations. These policies make our country safer, and more just, and more prosperous. 

• Like 1

The White House

President Releases FY2017/2018 Budget Proposal

President Harrison LeClavers has today, with Vice President Revan Bennett and Senate Democratic Leader Lewis Clayborne, unveiled the official White House budget proposal. The proposal will be submitted to Congress by Senator Clayborne, and will be presented to Republican budget negotiators in the Roosevelt Room as reflecting the official Democratic starting position. The President's budget builds on successes that the Democratic Party secured in the last budget: more fiscal responsibility, more investment in essential public services and our nation's future, more opportunity for all Americans. This budget protects Social Security and Medicare, implements a public option, stabilises healthcare markets, expands the proven anti-poverty tools of the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit, takes bipartisan measures to further tackle student debt, creates a significant new research project to secure advancements in green and renewable energy, and reauthorizes and expands several important programs. 

A key priority of the White House is improving on the successes in the Bipartisan Budget of FY2014. In the last budget, it was Democrats who proposed almost every substantial deficit reduction measure, and who proposed the historic investments in the American people, disproving the right-wing talking point that fiscal responsibility requires cutting the safety net or reducing programs that generate opportunity. Republicans such as Senator John Moreno, in contrast, proposed very few ideas, and tried reducing the quantity of educational and infrastructure investment in the budget. One Republican negotiator even proposed dramatic cuts to Medicare and Social Security benefits for all current and future beneficiaries. In the last budget cycle, it was Democrats who put in the work, and Republicans who argued for ideas that would have weakened the American economy. It is the White House's hope that this budget session would be more productive.

The last budget contained, thanks to innovative policy proposals and a hardworking dedication to securing bipartisan compromise, a 60% reduction in the deficit, the funds needed for universal pre-K and the piloting of a free community college scheme, reducing tax loopholes for the wealthy, lower medication costs for all consumers, substantial increase in and reduced regulatory obstruction to infrastructure development, the reversal of the ill-conceived sequestration cuts, historic reductions in Department of Defense waste and overspend, and ending several policies that embodied crony capitalism and special interest politics. Senator Lewis Clayborne, who was the appointed Democratic negotiator, proposed all of these ideas, having worked with other Democrats such as future President Harrison LeClavers in developing that positive agenda. 

The White House

President announces new cabinet

WASHINGTON D.C- President Harrison LeClavers today announced the release of his new cabinet going into his first full, elected term of office. While obtaining some key holdovers, the the mostly new, reshuffled cabinet contains a large list of extremely qualified people to serve in some of the most important executive branch positions of the United States. Secretary of State Kobayashi-Diaz and Secretary of Energy Al Gore were two of the biggest names that decided to stay on for a full term with the President, and he applauded their willingness to continue to perform their work to transform America. 

"I am very proud of the new cabinet that I have chosen, that will help lead us for the next four years." Said President LeClavers. "We have a number of very qualified people, in this extremely diverse cabinet. For the first time in American history, we have a gender-balanced cabinet- including myself and Vice President Bennett, our cabinet sees 9 women and 8 men, which reflects our commitment to gender equality. We understand that to have that perspective, we need to make sure everyone has a seat at the table, and we are ensuring that our cabinet reflects this country. Everyone has stellar qualifications- from the remaining Secretary Kobayashi-Diaz and Secretary Gore, to all of our new names. 

We are breaking all kinds of barriers with this cabinet- ensuring that people from all different kinds of backgrounds will be with me at the decision-making table. I look forward to the Senate confirmation process for all of these nominees, and I expect a tough, but fair, process that will lead to these qualified nominees being confirmed by the United States Senate."

Key

Holdover

New Appointment

Elected Officers 

President of the United States of America: Harrison LeClavers

Vice President of the United States of America: Revan Bennett

Principal Officers of the Executive Departments

Secretary of State: Sophia Kobayashi-Diaz

Secretary of the Treasury: Lael Brainard

Secretary of Defense: Michele Flournoy

Attorney General: Alice Woods

Secretary of the Interior: Mark Udall