Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Press Briefings

Posted (edited)

(that news update on Israel came after loa was announced and that news brief also occurred  before Israel.)

Edited by Storm

Well with all questions being answered, this briefing is over. 

The President of the United States walks up to the briefing podium

yua22qtvwd4zfcmfehz4

"Good evening, my fellow Americans.

Yesterday you may have heard about the tragic shooting in Las Cruces, New Mexico. A family was shot at tonight, with the father dying, and the mother and her child stabilizing in the hospital. It is always difficult to face situations like these- and the prayers of my family and the American people are with this family tonight. It is never a good day when a child loses a father, it is never a good day when a wife loses a husband. My heart breaks for their loss.

I would like to clarify a few points on the facts of the case. These people were not shot at by Border Patrol, or ICE, or any government law enforcement agency, at any level- federal, state, or local. I want to commend the job of the Border Patrol officers who arrived on the scene- they preformed their jobs professionally, as we have come to expect from the high standards we have set for our law enforcement officials. They immediately transported these three people to medical care, and attempted to have their lives saved. While it is tragic that a life was lost today, I am proud of the work done by the doctors at Memorial Medical Center that saved the lives of a mother and her son.

At a time like this, it is more important to carry in our hearts those words that have stood eternal in our American history. 'Out of many, we are one.' Out of many, we are one, we all prosper when one of us prospers. Togetherness, that sense of a shared American fate has seen us win our independence from one of the greatest empires in history, has seen use stem the tide of evil in Europe and the Pacific, and it is together that we have built this great country we are lucky to call home. We can not let moments like this snake in between our love for our fellow brothers and sisters, we must not be driven apart for a house divided can not stand. We honor our past as a nation of immigrants while acknowledging the need for a safe and secure border today. While we are proud in our American history as a country that shows mercy in welcoming families from all over the globe, we are firm in our commitment to being a nation of law and order. We stand eternal in our position as that shining city on a hill, we will forever read and honor the words engraved on the Statue of Liberty and the American ethos - "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Thank you all, and have a great night."

The President leaves the room

• Like 2

Budget Contains Blueprint For Strong American Economy

White House Press Secretary Hansen Clarke(D-Detroit) today laid out the policy details contained within the President's FY2017/FY2018 budget proposal. It invests in the needs of the American people, sets the nation on a course to responsible debt reduction while avoiding any ill-placed cuts or excessive tax hikes, and invests in the nation's long-term fiscal needs. 

National Security, Foreign Affairs, and Trade

The budget maintains strong investments in our nation's military capabilities, but also recognises that the State Department plays an equally essential role in protecting American interests and projecting American values worldwide. The State Department receives a large increase in funding, boosting our diplomatic capabilities and promoting global health and development. Promoting human rights is a priority of this budget, and measures defending international religious freedom are reauthorized. Free trade policies with the poorest nations of Africa are promoted by this budget, providing a way to grow the world's poorest economies in a mutually economically beneficial way. Trade Adjustment Assistance is increased, providing invaluable help to those workers and communities left behind by globalisation. 

The Departments of Homeland Security and Justice both see substantial funding increases: this will give these departments the resources to keep Americans safe, provide due process and civil liberties to all, and continue supporting increased border security and counter-terror measures. To reform our criminal justice and immigration system in a humane way that still balances the need for firm enforcement, we need resources: this budget provides that. Programs providing police departments with bulletproof vests and addressing unsolved civil rights cases are also reauthorized. The insurance program against terrorism risk is expanded and extended. 

Environment and Energy

The budget creates a "New Manhattan Project for Energy Independence". This serves as a substantial cash infusion, of both grants and prizes, into developing technologies that will put the United States at the forefront of necessary efforts to pioneer new green technologies: fusion, carbon sequestration, new efficient vehicles and buildings, biofuels, and other such vital research efforts. The Project will prioritise those efforts that boast the greatest economic benefit and accessibility for the American people. International and public-private research cooperation, as well as allowing the proliferation of new technologies to the greatest degree possible, are among the objectives of this project. 

This budget reauthorizes the National Estuary and Flood Insurance Program, and continues efforts to support those communities that rely on natural beauty or sustainable local ecology for their livelihood. Environmental protection and long-term environmental sustainability is prioritised with this budget, and it will provide much-needed resources to research new green technology, adapt to and mitigate the threat of climate change, and ensure clean air and clean water for all Americans. 

Social Security

The budget includes the Strengthening Social Security Act. This bill increases benefits for Social Security recipients, including for widows and widowers, and ensures the Cost of Living Adjustment accurately reflects the true living costs of senior citizens. This is, from the very beginning, revenue-neutral, and in the long term reduces the deficit and increases the solvency of the Social Security program by 14 years. It is paid for by gradually phasing out the cap on the payroll tax, which exempts the highest levels of income from payroll taxation. Due to the invaluable position of Social Security in our nation's economy, it is only just that we ask all American workers, rather than only the poorest and the middle-class, to support its continued operation. 

Education

In terms of education, the budget contains the historic achievements the Democratic Party has achieved on this front. It enshrines in law President LeClavers's historic executive orders on the subject. The President's programs for creating a system of free community college, providing living cost assistance and cheaper textbooks to college students, and providing emergency relief from excessive student debt are all maintained. The universal pre-k partnership between the states and federal government is also enshrined into law. The per-pupil premium, which provides funding to schools for every disadvantaged and impoverished student, is similarly enacted into law. These are significant achievements by the LeClavers administration and Congressional Democrats, and protecting them is a priority. This administration has seen historic investments in education, and these investments must be preserved. 

To build on these successes in education, there is a substantial increase in Education funding, and various reforms to the student loan system, changing the structure of the student loan regime in this country to be more lenient and less callous towards students. Student loan interest rates are capped at 1.88%; Pell Grants are expanded; and new tax credits and deductions are created to support students. Recognising the importance of other forms of higher education, a major theme of the LeClavers administration, Pell Grants are expanded to cover early college programs within high schools and vocational qualification programs. It requires more effective loan counselling for borrowers and allows indebted students to refinance their loans at lower rates and include them within bankruptcy proceedings. Federal Perkins Loans and sea college investments are reauthorized. The LeClavers administration is, based around the principle of an effective, accessible and personalised education for all students, establishing one of the greatest investments in American education in our nation's history. 

Healthcare

The budget contains substantial measures to improve our healthcare system. The Affordable Care Act, President Obama's signature achievement, is the law of the land, and has delivered a more equitable, more affordable, and more sustainable healthcare system, freed from the glaring injustices of before. We must work to improve and refine within the system. The budget contains several measures to do this. It establishes a public option, using the market forces of fair competition to bring down premiums and ensure valid consumer choice, replacing the "Cadillac tax", an excise tax on high-cost employer-sponsored health care plans, as the administration's preferred way of reducing healthcare and premium costs.

Competition will be promoted at every level. Cost-sharing reduction payments will be protected by law: these payments help insurers provide lower-income Americans with insurance plans while at the same time abiding by the statutorily mandated requirements to provide certain guaranteed services and not employ certain unfair pricing strategies. This promotes competition, and avoids a potential explosion to the ten-year deficit of over $200 billion. A Temporary Stability Fund will be established to help states resolve any short-term fluctuations in their markets, a scheme paid for by helping both federal and state governments recuperate the savings from a healthier marketplace. Insurer entry into, and competition within, underserved counties will be made more attractive by providing tax relief for involvement in such counties. Federal reinsurance plans will be reestablished. Those schemes, which were phased out and never replaced, gave insurers the confidence to insure the highest risk individuals without jacking up premiums or scaling back coverage elsewhere. They protected insurers against sudden spikes in costs, via pools paid for by insurers themselves. 

The “family glitch”, which catches approximately 2 to 4 million Americans, is fixed. Approximately 2 to 4 million Americans are caught in this glitch. Essentially, employees are often left unable to afford healthcare coverage for their spouse and dependents, because the costs of their employer-provided plans are prohibitive.  However, they are unable to then access subsidised individual coverage for their family on the exchanges. The employee is able to afford coverage for him or herself, the system currently says, therefore they do not need these subsidies. It doesn’t matter how expensive the plans are for ensuring his or her family - if the employee could cover him or herself, they’re designated as ineligible for help. The system currently leaves these families in the lurch. Many of these families are eligible for relief from the mandate, or support via CHIP and other programmes, but these are still unenviable positions to be trapped in. By changing the eligibility guidelines, we fix the family glitch. 

CHIP, which provides vital healthcare services to our nation's most vulnerable children, is extended: requirements that states maintain consistent funding levels and avoid imposing enrollment caps are maintained. In a move that saves $429 billion over ten years, Medicare will now be allowed to negotiate drug prices, helping secure the program's solvency. The Department of Veterans Affairs is one of the big beneficiaries of increased government funding, further supporting veterans and addressing crises of homelessness, unemployment, and poor healthcare among our nation's veteran population. Medical research, anti-poverty programs, housing and regeneration schemes, and environmental safety initiatives all also receive funding increases, boosting our nation's capacity to cope with healthcare crises. Programs supporting older Americans, stem cell research, and 9/11 survivors are also reauthorized. 

Tax

The tax system must be fair, conducive to economic growth and personal opportunity, and create a sustainable revenue base for the government. This budget contains tangible steps to achieving that goal, building on the last budget's progressive decision to restrict certain tax subsidies to the wealthy and big corporations, asking those Americans benefiting most from our system of government to contribute a fairer share. Several additional corporate loopholes are closed, including ones that allow companies to dodge US taxes and secure taxpayer subsidy for lavish corporate bonuses. 

There are two proven, highly effective tools at combating poverty and inequality, in a way that fosters hard work and community spirit, in the US tax code: the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. The EITC is to be increased and expanded to cover more individuals. The CTC is to similarly be dramatically increased. This will achieve tax freedom for many of our most economically precarious citizens, and deliver a lifeline out of poverty for millions more. 

Fiscal Responsibility

On the fiscal responsibility front, this budget puts America on a sustainable long-term fiscal footing, on track to eliminate the deficit and begin reducing our nation's debt. Due to statutorily mandated initial investments in the National Infrastructure Bank, the nominal deficit will increase in FY2017. However, once that initial investment is paid off, and the savings from Social Security reform begin to be phased in, this budget continues the path of reducing the deficit. By expanding our nation's infrastructure, these investments will strengthen our nation's long-term ability to service our debts. The long-term deficit, the important figure economically, will approach elimination as a result of this budget.

This budget manages to increase base levels of investment in all government departments, securing savings not by cutting important services or investment, but instead with targeted reforms and a balance between revenue and spending changes. Thanks to the long-term changes to revenue and spending culture, with the decisions of the REDUCE Act and the implementation of a DoD audit imminent, we will now be on track to eliminate our deficit. The fiscal priority of this administration has been to eliminate any deficit in our nation's current account, while retaining necessary capital investments in our nation's future. This administration has achieved that goal. 

• Like 1

President takes the Floor

"Thank you all for coming here today. I wanted to take this time to announce my nomination of California Attorney General Alice Woods, for the position of Attorney General of the United States of America. She is everything that you could look for, and want, in an Attorney General- she is strong, she is independent, she believes in the underlying foundations of our country. She believes that liberty and justice for all is something that is not simply a phrase we recite at the Pledge of Allegiance, it is an ideal that has meaning and application- and she has striven to uphold those principles for her entire career. From her own experience in the Justice Department, to her time on the bench, and as California Attorney General, she has displayed all of the qualities we are looking for in an Attorney General. I am proud to nominate her for this position, and I look forward to her confirmation hearings. 

I will now give her the podium.

U.S. Attorney General nominee Alice Woods takes the stand

Thank You, Mr. President,

It is an absolute honor and privilege to be nominated to lead the Justice Department and serve my country as Attorney General. Having spent my adult life as an officer of the court there is little higher calling than that of Attorney General and I am flattered to be considered for the same office that has been held by great legal minds such as Robert Kennedy, Charles Bonaparte and Edmund Randolph. I also want to acknowledge Janet Reno, who blazed the trail as the first woman to hold the office. There are few positions in the United States where a nominee gets to stand on the shoulders of greater giants than that of Attorney General. Truly I am honored to be nominated, thank you, Mr. President.

In taking up this vital role in American democracy I am mindful that there are many challenges ahead. The rule of law is under more pressure from all sides than it has been since the civil war. Now more than ever in the lifetime of any American alive today must we be vigilant to ensure that our constitution and laws are upheld to the highest standard. We must resist the temptation to compromise on any of the civil liberties afforded by our constitution, we must ensure the strength and efficacy of our law enforcement services, and we must work with partners at the state and local levels to ensure that every American, regardless of race, faith, or family is protected both from those who would seek to destroy and from a government that would encroach on their right to live their life their way.

While maintaining this delicate balance, there are several priorities I hope to accomplish in my term as Attorney General. I want to work closely with Congress to make reforms to the detention aspect of our criminal justice system. In short, our turnkey system of jails is broken. How can we call ourselves the land of the free when we have more people behind bars than any other country? We need to find new and modern ways to reform offenders, we need to establish better programs to prepare those who break our laws to re-enter society, and we need to make sure that we're not creating hardened criminals out of people who have made bad choices once or twice in their life. We need to be equally tough on the causes of crime and those who break our laws.

We also need to work closer with other levels of government. The era of turf wars between Federal, State and Local law enforcement needs to come to an end. Americans are at their safest when the hardworking and dedicated men and women sworn to protect them cooperate and communicate freely. I will make it a personal priority of my office to improve the working relationships between Justice Departments, Prosecutors and Law Enforcement at the various levels of government. 

I look forward to the Senate's confirmation hearings where I will have the opportunity to answer specific questions about our plans for the major issues of law and justice facing the country today. Moreover, I look forward to getting to work keeping America safe, fair, and just. Again, thank you Mr. President for your faith in my abilities to take up this important task. I won't let you, or our great nation, down.

Press Secretary Hansen Clarke(D-Detroit) walks up to the podium

Hansen_Clarke.jpg

Thank you for coming here today. I will not take much of your time. The White House wants to give some updates in response to Muriel & Elizabeth 

#1 The White House is working closely with authorities on the ground to respond to the incoming storms, especially Muriel and Elizabeth. We have seen, in the Caribbean, the amount of power that these storms can carry, and the amount of damage that these pair of storms can cause. We would, once again, like to encourage people in localities to follow the directives of their local leadership, and to please, of course, do what we should all do as Americans- look out for our neighbors in this time of need. FEMA, of course, is on the ground, assisting local governments with evacuations. We are also putting supplies in a position to move them down into effected areas after the storm hits, so that they can be there in as quickly of a time as possible. We will be working with the several states, as well as other states who are willing to share resources, to ensure that this process can be as effective as possible. 

#2 The White House is deeply concerned with the damage caused by these hurricanes in the Caribbean. The State Department, USAID, and other authorities, will be liasoning with local authorities to attempt to avert the massive humanitarian disaster that has hit the Bahamas, with nearly 90% of the population without power. The United States has always been a generous nation, responding greatly to those in need when disaster strikes- from our response to the Haitian earthquakes in 2009 to the Indian Ocean earthquake & tsunami in 2004, to countless other disasters, this has been a longstanding tradition of the United States, and it will certainly be no different today. There are a number of U.S. citizens who live in the Bahamas, and many more who frequently vacation there. It is a possibility that Americans are there now. The U.S. Government will work as hard as possible to ensure the safety of Americans on those islands, and to try and track all of the U.S. nationals who were on the islands when the hurricane hit. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Jax Thorn,Progress Forward

Does the President have any regrets about signing the Fruits and Vegetables Access for Children Act of 2015? and does he has any plan to fix the problem of low quality food being served in our school?

Edited by Storm

Are there any statements from the White House regarding the humanitarian violations at Beaumont Penitentiary?

19 hours ago, Storm said:

Does the President have any regrets about signing the Fruits and Vegetables Access for Children Act of 2015? and does he has any plan to fix the problem of low quality food being served in our school?

The President is disappointed at the reports he has been seeing coming out from this legislation. The President signed the Fruits and Vegetables Access for Children Act because he felt that, with the overwhelming, bipartisan majorities that it passed both chambers of Congress with, that the introduction, of options, would lead to more affordable fruit options for our nation's cash-strapped school districts, which would lead to more access to fruit and vegetables for schoolchildren. 

The President will be working with the Secretary of Agriculture to work to ensure that the highest quality fruit and vegetables continue to provided to our schoolchildren under the legislation. 

19 hours ago, Storm said:

Are there any statements from the White House regarding the humanitarian violations at Beaumont Penitentiary?

The President is monitoring the situation closely at Beaumont Penitentiary. The constitutional rights of all Americans must be protected and maintained, no matter where they are. 

Press Secretary Hansen Clarke(D-Detroit) walks up to the podium

Hansen_Clarke.jpg

Thank you for coming here today. I will not take much of your time. The White House wants to give some updates on two key issues- the situation in Syria, and the Supreme Court nominations. 

#1 The White House understands the humanitarian disaster that is being created in Syria. Like as is true not only on both sides of the aisle in this country, but across most of the world and, most importantly, as is true in Syria, we stand with the Syrian people against the cruelness of the Al-Assad regime. The situation that he has created in his country is a dire one for his people- that is why they rise up and ask for a free Syria, free from his dictatorship, free from the pain and suffering of the Syrian people. We see and hear the pain and suffering- and the American people are generous. We will be providing humanitarian aid, worth just over $3 billion dollars, out of existing funds, to do our part in alleviating the crisis in Syria. We all have a part to play- we will work with our international partners and allies to ensure that the aid can flow to the Syrian people, who suffer in this civil war from the despotic regime. We will be delivering this aid, of course, through Jordan- we thank King Abdullah II for his country working to help deliver this necessary aid. 

#2 The White House, as we have earlier, would like to congratulate Justice Sri Srinivasan on his confirmation to the Supreme Court- he was eminently well-qualified, and that was reflected by his confirmation vote, with 90 votes in favor. We wish him the best of luck, as we are sure he will give our country many years of service on the bench of our nation's highest court. We would also like to talk about the nomination of Justice Jane L. Kelly. She is just as eminently qualified as Justice Sri Srinivasan to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States. Four years as a federal judge- plenty of great experience. Let's compare it to the court's last two Chief Justices. William Rehnquist had no judicial experience whatsoever before being nominated to serve on the Supreme Court. Our current Chief Justice had only two years on the bench- yet nobody doubted the qualifications of those two men.

Those two men were not questioned, while the Senate Minority blocks and lies and comes up with all sorts of procedural maneuvers to block this strong, brilliant woman from getting a vote in front of the Senate to serve on the Supreme Court? She deserves a vote on the Senate Floor, and she absolutely should get one. 

The President takes the podium

61381d8a139441bea98975a73b5fa42d.jpg

"Thank you for coming here today. This is an important announcement, and one, I believe, that was absolutely necessary to have been made by myself personally. I would like to announce, unfortunately, the withdrawal of my nomination of Justice Jane L. Kelly to the Supreme Court of the United States. I believe firmly that she is superbly qualified to serve on our nation's court- her four years of judicial experience and her many years of experience as a lawyer, fighting for the rights of individuals and the accused, are something that I strongly agree with. The shots taken at her by the Senate GOP were not only unfair- they were simply untrue. 

However, it is clear that this nomination, while qualified, has been caught up by the Senate Minority and has been the latest victim of partisan dysfunction on the Hill. It is a disservice and a disgrace to her, the nominee, to continue to subject her to these unprecedented, unwarranted attacks on her impeccable record and career accomplishments she has throughout her own illustrious career. That is why, today, I am formally announcing my intent to withdraw her nomination to serve on the Supreme Court. I look forward to her continuing to provide excellent service to our country over the coming years as she serves this country proudly, on the 8th Circuit. 

• Like 1

The President comes to the podium

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDoElSMUSHamShFmKPS3VlbyhC2NKIyWm3_kD8QDo9g9bwoa8ePA

And I am here, once again, to address an extremely important issue- the abuse scandal going on within the federal prison system. What is going on is terrible, and it is something that needs to be stopped. This Administration does not condone the abuses that have happened within the federal prison system, and that is why we are taking bold, and decisive, action to make sure that the truth comes to light and is shone to the American people- and then we are taking action to ensure that this will not happen again. 

I have just met with the Acting Attorney General, Sally Yates. I have ordered the full, public disclosure of any and all remaining documents related to the prison abuse scandal. This is unprecedented, of course, and it is something that I consider extremely important. When we talk about trust in government, faith in government, one of the things that we must talk about is openness and transparency. We cannot have a fully functioning democracy unless the business of the people is done in front of the people, where the people can see it and hold their government accountable. That is why FOIA is so important. That is why we keep records, that is why we must talk about open government. I want this to be the most transparent Administration in the history of the United States- it is not about partisanship, it is about good governance. And the American people knowing the truth is the key to good governance. 

We are taking a number of other actions to respond strongly here. We have, for example, ordered the Inspector General to begin an immediate investigation into this prison abuse scandal. This is, of course, another way to ensure that we can gather all the facts on the ground- knowledge is power, and once we know the full scope of what is going on, that is when we can best act to reform the system to prevent these abuses from happening again. And, of course, we have ordered some improvements to healthcare within the federal prison system- ensuring that those within the custody of the federal government are able to access the healthcare that they need. 

This Administration will not stand by, silently. We will act strongly and swiftly, and we will make sure that these prison abuses end. 

JB Blackwood

White House Press Secretary

Related image

Good afternoon. My name is Jared Blackwood. JB for short. I am the new Press Secretary for President Baudin. The President was sworn in yesterday by Chief Justice John Roberts, in the presence of family. The President swore the Oath of Office on his personal copy of The New American Bible. 

The President will tonight, be attending a previously scheduled fundraiser in New York City for Senators Storm and Clay's Medichoice Initiative. President Baudin remains committed to supporting expanded healthcare for all and reiterates his support for the public option and universal healthcare. Healthcare is a human right, and the President has pledged to support initiatives which expand coverage and access and affordability to more and more Americans. 

At this time, all Cabinet positions will remain the same as they were under President LeClavers. This includes both the Secretary of State nominee, who is up for a cloture vote in the Senate and the Attorney General Nominee. 

Invitations have been sent out to Speaker Sessions and Leader Sanchez, as well as Leaders Clay and Saunders to the Roosevelt Room of the White House, where the President wishes to discuss the nomination of a new Vice President. They will be arriving tomorrow afternoon for preliminary discussions, and no, I do not have a short list for you. 

I'll take a few questions. 

Sign in to follow this