Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Press Briefings

Bill Thomas, Evening Notebook:

What went into the President's decision to commute Johnathan Pollard?

Ron Bacon, Fox News

"Will the president be amending his executive order on marijuana to satisfy critics who point out the order will pardon hundreds, if not thousands, of convicted drug dealers?"

59 minutes ago, Fisher said:

Ron Bacon, Fox News

"Will the president be amending his executive order on marijuana to satisfy critics who point out the order will pardon hundreds, if not thousands, of convicted drug dealers?"

The President has no intention to amend the executive order on marijuana. The President deeply believes that the war on drugs has failed to address drug use within the United States.The War on Drugs has instead targeted and incarcerated African-Americans  3.73 more times more than whites, even though usage of marijuana is relatively the same and national data from all across the country have shown a significant trend of racial bias.  

The executive order as written will only pardon drug offenders who have served  10 years and/or reached the age of 60, along with not being convicted of non-violent crimes and non-gang activity and must have a record of good behavior since entering the prison population. 

1 hour ago, Brink said:

What went into the President's decision to commute Johnathan Pollard?

The President will be releasing his own statement later on today as to why he decided to commute Johnathan Pollard.

As this is your first press conference, what are your goals as White House Chief of Staff?

1 hour ago, Brink said:

As this is your first press conference, what are your goals as White House Chief of Staff?

Thank you for the question. My goal is simple.I intend on creating and maintaining a stable environment and line of communication for the President and other government officials while ensuring the needs and voices of the American people is heard and never forgotten.

1 hour ago, Storm said:

The President has no intention to amend the executive order on marijuana. The President deeply believes that the war on drugs has failed to address drug use within the United States.The War on Drugs has instead targeted and incarcerated African-Americans  3.73 more times more than whites, even though usage of marijuana is relatively the same and national data from all across the country have shown a significant trend of racial bias.  

The executive order as written will only pardon drug offenders who have served  10 years and/or reached the age of 60, along with not being convicted of non-violent crimes and non-gang activity and must have a record of good behavior since entering the prison population. 

Ron Bacon, Fox News

"So would it be correct to say that any and every drug dealer that has served ten years or is over the age of sixty would get out of jail free, provided they have not been found guilty of any violent crimes?"

Just now, Fisher said:

Ron Bacon, Fox News

"So would it be correct to say that any and every drug dealer that has served ten years or is over the age of sixty would get out of jail free, provided they have not been found guilty of any violent crimes?"

If I should say, your insistence on the word "drug dealer" is an example as to why the war on drugs has not worked and is not successful. If you do not care about the many people especially young African-Americans who have been treated differently compared to their white counterparts due to the color of their skin, despite them committing the same crime.   The President does not see these people as just "drug dealers" or drug users", he sees them as Americans who deserve to be given the help they need to ensure that they are helpful members of our community. 

Along with the pardoning of non-violent drug offenders who have been jailed for 10 years or who have reached the age of 60, the President is also pursuing ways to correct the war on drugs,in getting  rid of the racial  bias and make it more suitable to correcting the drug problem within America, instead of maintaining the old mindset that we should lock people up and throw away the key.

1 minute ago, Storm said:

If I should say, your insistence on the word "drug dealer" is an example as to why the war on drugs has not worked and is not successful. If you do not care about the many people especially young African-Americans who have been treated differently compared to their white counterparts due to the color of their skin, despite them committing the same crime.   The President does not see these people as just "drug dealers" or drug users", he sees them as Americans who deserve to be given the help they need to ensure that they are helpful members of our community. 

Along with the pardoning of non-violent drug offenders who have been jailed for 10 years or who have reached the age of 60, the President is also pursuing ways to correct the war on drugs,in getting  rid of the racial  bias and make it more suitable to correcting the drug problem within America, instead of maintaining the old mindset that we should lock people up and throw away the key.

Ron Bacon, Fox News

"I did not bring up race. You did. My question was whether or not the president's executive order would apply to individuals convicted of distributing and profiting off illegal marijuana, provided they met the age and non-violent crime requirements? My question, again, is will this executive order apply to those convicted of dealing drugs, specifically marijuana, provided they meet the requirements?"

3 minutes ago, Fisher said:

Ron Bacon, Fox News

"I did not bring up race. You did. My question was whether or not the president's executive order would apply to individuals convicted of distributing and profiting off illegal marijuana, provided they met the age and non-violent crime requirements? My question, again, is will this executive order apply to those convicted of dealing drugs, specifically marijuana, provided they meet the requirements?"

I'll be sure to get you a transcript of this press conference, I guess my mic isn't working. Next question?

President walks into the press briefing and speaks from the podium.

I strongly condemn the suicide attacks that have taken place in Afghanistan in particular, today’s horrific attack in Kabul that killed twenty-one people. The Taliban opposes freedom, opposes democracy, and opposes the freewill of the Afghan people in determining their future. These attacks only prove that the Taliban oppose those who have a counting view point, a viewpoint that doesn’t include their vicious and despicable use of violence against the innocent. I offer on behalf of the American people and the American government, my sincere sympathy and prayers to the Afghan people and wish them more hope to see a country that they want, not what the Taliban wishes to force upon them. Let us continue to push forward to see a developed and strong Afghanistan where girls can go to school without being murdered, where women can be employed and hold jobs, where the security of Afghanistan no longer needs checkpoints and searches.  Let our vision for Afghanistan never be erased by Taliban violence and may we have the resolve to see a free and vibrant Afghanistan.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Chief of Staff Osiris Storm will now take questions from the Press

Edited by Storm

John Wenston, Wall Street Journal

Mr. Storm, the President put out a statement about the recent bombing in Kabul, particularly forceful against the Taliban. Does the President intend to make any changes in Afghanistan leading up to the election in October? 

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

John Wenston, Wall Street Journal

Mr. Storm, the President put out a statement about the recent bombing in Kabul, particularly forceful against the Taliban. Does the President intend to make any changes in Afghanistan leading up to the election in October? 

Thak you for the question Mr.Wenston, as I am not at liberty to say exactly what changes or action the President may or may not take, I can say that the President is currently analyzing the situation in Kabul and the different routes that he may take to address the situation and the overall strategy in Afghanistan.  As you heard earlier today from himself, the President is very upset with these attacks and is working diligently to ensure that innocent lives are not in harm's way of the destructive and volatile path of the Taliban and other insidious terrorist groups.

Chuck Todd, NBC News

Will there be an immediate retaliatory action against the terrorists and, if not, what are some of the 'different routes' as you've mentioned that the president is considering. Are the Taliban and the middle east to expect only a rhetorical condemnation of their terrorist acts, or will there be a perhaps military or diplomatic action to back that up?

On 3/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, Christopher Williams said:

Chuck Todd, NBC News

Will there be an immediate retaliatory action against the terrorists and, if not, what are some of the 'different routes' as you've mentioned that the president is considering. Are the Taliban and the middle east to expect only a rhetorical condemnation of their terrorist acts, or will there be a perhaps military or diplomatic action to back that up?

Before I begin, I must say that there are no such things as a rhetorical condemnation of terrorist acts. These terrorist attacks have either taken or affected many lives of people in Afghanistan and all over this world. Secondly, the President is currently in briefings and information gatherings as we speak, investigating the situation, and coming up with viable ways to tackle this problem. I can say, however, that the President has openly expressed how important it is for Afghanistan to have legitimate and Democratic elections and that no threats domestic or abroad should affect the upcoming elections in Afghanistan. Once the President and the advisement team has come up a plan to effectively deal with the issues at hand, the president will announce his plan.

Chuck Todd, NBC News

But, Osiris, if the president is only coming out and disagreeing with words - isn't that only a rhetorical condemnation, as opposed to say back it up with military intervention or some other forceful action against the Taliban? Are the options the president is considering include striking against the Taliban? And why hasn't the president responded to the Israeli soldiers being killed by Hamas? 

4 minutes ago, Christopher Williams said:

Chuck Todd, NBC News

But, Osiris, if the president is only coming out and disagreeing with words - isn't that only a rhetorical condemnation, as opposed to say back it up with military intervention or some other forceful action against the Taliban? Are the options the president is considering include striking against the Taliban? And why hasn't the president responded to the Israeli soldiers being killed by Hamas? 

I may need to have transcripts printed out after these briefings. As I said a few minutes ago the President and the advisement team is currently reviewing all of the plans and picking which one is best suited for the situation. Once The President and the rest of his team have picked, the President will announce it. 

3 minutes ago, Christopher Williams said:

Chuck Todd, NBC News

"And these plans include military options?"

Those plans will include whatever the President and the rest of the advising team believe is appropriate.

2 minutes ago, Christopher Williams said:

Chuck Todd, NBC News

Osiris, you're not answering the question. Is the president considering military options against the Taliban or not? 

Mr.Todd, I did answer your question. The President is currently reviewing different plans of actions and will announce which one he chooses to use. Any other questions?

Katy Brown, Capitol Beat

Does the President have a secret plan to fight the Taliban?

Sign in to follow this