Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Press Briefings

Before I open this up to questions I would like to make a few quick statements. 

The President will be meeting Chairwoman Sarah Brady of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Mrs. Brady is the wife of former White House Press Secretary James Brady and has led the Brady Campaign from 1989 to today. James Brady became permanently disabled from a gunshot wound during the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan in 1981. Protecting the lives of Americans especially our children should not be a partisan issue. As President Reagan once said, "With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases. And it's just common sense that there be a waiting period..." Protecting the American people is not a partisan issue and to remind of this point I am distributing a letter written in 1994 by three former US Presidents. Two Republican one Democrat. 

The letter from three former presidents to the House:

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:

We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Also this week the President has been spending time in meetings with Republican and Democratic leaders regarding the budget. While there has been disagreement the President is confident that the GOP can work with the Democratic party to make reducing the deficit more than just a talking point. 

I will now take your questions

Gal Hyacinthe, NINC: 

Mr. President, I just came from a press conference about the Keystone XL pipeline. Where do you stand on that proposal?

1 hour ago, Brink said:

Gal Hyacinthe, NINC: 

Mr. President, I just came from a press conference about the Keystone XL pipeline. Where do you stand on that proposal?

The Keystone XL pipeline could have disastrous effects for far too little benefits. The pipeline would not create long-term jobs. According to TransCanada the pipeline would only create about 35 jobs after the end of construction and building the pipeline would only create 2000 jobs which is about the same economic benefit as building a shopping mall. There is no evidence to suggest the Keystone would lower gas prices and according to Forbes, it has the potential to even raise these gas prices.

The Keystone would cross 1,073 rivers, lakes and streams be near 3,000 wells, would threaten farmers with construction being focused in the three states that produced $41.6 billion worth of food in 2012. The threat of pollution is very real, between 2006 and the middle of 2013 there were nearly 3,000 pipeline blowouts including the blowout in the Kalamazoo River and last years blowout in Mayflower Arkansas. All told they spilt a cumulative 32.5 million gallons of oil and other hazardous liquids, 18 million gallons of which were never recovered. Most importantly, The State Department found that the emissions associated with the production, refining and combustion of the tar sands in Keystone XL would result 147 to 168 million metric tons of carbon dioxide per year equivalent to the emissions from as many of 35.5 million cars. 

The future of our nation's energy lies in Green Energy which according to the UN creates more jobs than oil refineries per dollar spent, will reduce our dependency on fossil fuels, limit pollution, and protect the one planet we have for our children. The Keystone XL pipeline would threaten farms clean water and would increase carbon emissions it is not a solution to our energy problems, green energy is.

Samantha McClellan, PBS. Mister president, you spoke in your inaugural address about a number of issues -- tax reform, infrastructure, education -- but have yet to offer substantive action in these areas. Does your administration plan to promote tax reform, education reform, or a national infrastructure bank this year?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terrus said:

Samantha McClellan, PBS. Mister president, you spoke in your inaugural address about a number of issues -- tax reform, infrastructure, education -- but have yet to offer substantive action in these areas. Does your administration plan to promote tax reform, education reform, or a national infrastructure bank this year?

Tax reform is being discussed as a part of the budget talks, and we will be making a push for a national infrastructure bank. In my inaugural address I stressed the importance of making college more affordable, and in the Senate, we have seen a bipartisan bill to reduce student debt. I urge the Senate to pass this bill and get it onto my desk where I plan to sign it. 

Gal Hyacinthe, NINC:

Has the President considered withdrawing the nomination of Tom Perez to be Secretary of Labor?

The National Security Adviser walks into the press briefing room

Members of the press,

I want to thank you for being here today. I want to give a quick statement on the recent aggressive actions by Kim Jong-Un in Southeast Asia. 

"The United States strongly opposes the recent North Korean efforts to destabilize the Korean Peninsula, and the greater region of Southeast Asia. A nuclear North Korea is simply a threat that the international community cannot tolerate, and we intend to go to the United Nations Security Council to strengthen the sanctions regime around Pyongyang. There is not a single nation on this Earth, including Pyongyang's major ally, the People's Republic of China, that supports North Korea's race to nuclear weapons, and we intend to demonstrate in New York that the world will remain united not only in purpose, but in action, in the continued diplomatic and economic isolation of the regime in Pyongyang until they end their world-threatening pursuit of an atomic bomb. 

The United States remains deeply committed to the stability of Southeast Asia and the security of our allies in the region, namely the Republic of Korea and the State of Japan. The Vice President has already announced that he will be visiting both Seoul and Tokyo to demonstrate that American commitment to the security of our allies to both nations. The United States wants peace, and we understand that as long as North Korea remains in a narrow-minded pursuit towards nuclear weapons, they will remain diplomatically isolated, economically isolated, and an international pariah. The hand of the United States is always extended to re-enter Six Party Talks to ensure the end to the pursuit of nuclear weapons on the Korean Peninsula, and we intend to make sure that happens."

The president will take questions from the press

19 hours ago, Brink said:

Where do you stand on the Equal Rights Amendment debate?

I support it, 63% of Americans support it, maybe its time for Congress to recognize that when reviewing these issues.

Mr. President,

What is the status of budget negotiations?

31 minutes ago, Smith said:

Mr. President,

What is the status of budget negotiations?

We've presented our proposal to congressional Republicans, we're now waiting for a response by them.

2 hours ago, Smith said:

What is the US stand on North Korea and nuclear weapons?

The position of the American government remains the same, North Korea poses as a dangerous regime with its continued proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Edited by Avner

Mr. President,

"Proliferation" suggest North Korea is making the technology available to others. Is there evidence of that, and if so, who?

10 minutes ago, Smith said:

Mr. President,

"Proliferation" suggest North Korea is making the technology available to others. Is there evidence of that, and if so, who?

Nuclear proliferation is the spread of nuclear weapons, fissionable material, and weapons-applicable nuclear technology and information to nations not recognized as Nuclear Weapon States by the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. Let's not spread panic and mass hysteria. North Korea has potential to do so however I made no such claim. 

President walks into the press briefing room

The United States strongly supports the rights of all Ukrainians to peacefully protest against corruption, abuse of power, and economic decline. Ukrainians have that right to demand better governance for the future of their children and grandchildren. Peaceful protests are a sign of a strong democracy, something that is admirable for Ukraine and the Ukrainian people. The United States stands with all citizens that wish to make their country a better place, a place where democracy is strong; the freedom to voice dissent, and the freedom to choose what type of government to represent you. These are American values as well but they are not just American ideals but international ideals that citizens of the world strive for. The United States can only hope and give support to those who voice fully but peacefully let their voices be heard.

The president will be taking questions from the press

12 minutes ago, Brink said:

Bill Thomas, Evening Notebook:

Where do you stand on the proposed legislation to "reduce the medically unnecessary use of antibiotics in agriculture and prevent the increasing tide of antibiotic-resistant bacteria"?

Well Bill, we have witnessed the emergence and spread of antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria around the World, and the consequent failure of antibiotic therapy, especially in intensive care units, which has led to hundreds of thousands of deaths annually. Studies have shown this is a growing problem in our hospitals, so I support this piece of legislation.

Jim Bagg, Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Mr. President, when will the new budget negotions begin and do you have any idea who you'll be extending invitations to?

15 minutes ago, Krol said:

Jim Bagg, Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Mr. President, when will the new budget negotions begin and do you have any idea who you'll be extending invitations to?

I see no need for new budget negotiations when our current negotiations are still continuing, especially when still even now no GOP leadership have showed up  to continue these talks. As to who I'd invite to already continuing talks, I'd like to invite back Senator Myron Foster, and I'd like to invite back the senate minority whip . The GOP leadership who actually have control over their party, the Democrats are prepared to once again sit down and talk out the budget which we have done leading up to the shutdown.. This is up  to the republicans who decided to neglect these talks in the first place.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The Chief of Staff Osiris Storm will now take press briefings from the Press

Edited by Storm

Sign in to follow this