Sign in to follow this  
Vandy

Owner Announcements

Hello! As owner, I'm proud to announce the new TERMS OF SERVICE for VGS.

I'd like to thank @Terrus for doing the actual work here so all credit to him.

• Like 1

I've heard some complaints about a certain player trolling the game. If is so pathetic as to troll VGS, well, clearly that person has some hole in his heart he's trying to fill by trying to ruin other people's happiness.

At this point, he has yet to break any rules. Once he does, I'll consider suspending him from the site. If he continues with his outrageous behavior, it is perfectly possible for the Senate with 2/3rds of the vote expel a member from their body.

• Like 1

I have given @HugePlayer 3 warning points for violating basic community standards on decency. These points are permanent and not appealable. 

Basically his attitude towards Alzheimer's and then having his character kill himself was insensitive. It violated IG rules but also OOC standards.

My uncle has Alzheimer's and my grandfather died from the disease. Other members might have sadly had to deal with this disease, or suicide for any reason, with close family members. It came across as deeply insensitive to myself and to other members as well.

While the AB is free on IC issues, OOC issues are my purview.

• Confused 1

With @Vandy resigning as CA, I will need a new CA. Until I find a new one, @Brink will be Acting CA beginning at 6PM EST.

If you are interested in becoming CA, please PM me on the forums (not telegram) with your resume, what you plan to do this reset (I believe the players want to continue this reset rather than begin anew yet again), as well as recommendations for OTHER people for the CA job. 

For the record if you don't wan to apply for CA but wish to endorse/nominate people for CA,. feel free to send me a message on the forums or on telegram. 

First of all I would like to thank @Vandy for his service to the game. He took over a game at an important juncture and ensured it's survival with an active AB. He then successfully reset the game with major gameplay mechanic reforms that were seen as necessary at the time. I applaud him and I think he did an amazing job in the position.  

I truly believe he left the game in a better position than when he first came in. He might not have always been popular and he had his fair share of criticisms but I think we can all agree on that point.

Finally, I'd like to announce I have hired @Tyler Swanson as the new CA. He has a rock solid plan on keeping this reset going and on the future of VGS.

I plan to update the forums sometime before the weekend. During the update, there may be some temporary and brief downtime. 

The forum has been updated. Rejoice all of ye for we are now on the latest software. This update was mostly bug fixes and security updates.

The forum has been updated again. Rejoice all of ye. I did the update because our old Captcha system had been discontinued by Google which meant nobody could register. This replaces it with a new Captcha system that will allow new registrations. There’s also some more improvements but I’m not sure if they are applicable to this community. The AB is free to do as they can.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/invision-community-43-r1055/

• Like 2

In order to stimulate activity, and just to let you guys know that VGS will be alive, I have looked over the AB. I am making a small but organizational change. As you know, I hire/fire the CAs. From now on, I will also hire/fire a new position I call Vice CA from the CA's AB-when s/he leaves the AB, I shall appoint a new Vice CA and I will also appoint a new Vice CA anytime I see fit. The Vice CA shall act as CA under the following circumstances:

1) The CA posts an official LoA for a period of more than 24 hours, there is no DCA or designated AB member by the CA to act as CA. When the CA returns from the LoA, the Vice CA shall no longer be Acting CA.

2) The CA has not posted on the forums or on the AB Chat or the VGS Main Chat in 72 hours or more and there is no DCA or designated AB member by the CA to act as CA. When the CA posts or returns to the telegram chat, the Vice CA shall no longer be Acting CA.

3) The CA resigns or is removed from office.

The Vice CA should let the playerbase, as well as send a message to the Owner (me), when they take over due to reason number one and reason number two. The Vice CA comes with no other responsibilities other than to let the owner know if he or she steps down from the AB. The Vice CA shall only act as CA when the CA is gone and when the CA hasn't hired a DCA or designated someone to act as acting CA in his or her absence.

The first Vice CA shall be @MrAnderson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have updated the site. This is primarily maintenance fixes and comes with no new features.

Happy Memorial Day. With Tyler going MIA, I am hiring @MrAnderson as full-time CA. He has accepted the job and I'm sure he will do a swell job.

I am appointing @Ben as Vice CA. If Anderson is unable to fill his duties as CA and doesn't appoint a deputy take over when that happens, he will serve as Acting CA.

• Like 1

@MrAnderson has told me that with his current school load, he sadly can't act as CA going forward into the future. He'll remain on board until we find his replacement. As usual, please send me applications/nominations if interested and nominations, if you aren't on who you'd think, would make a good CA.

• Sad 2

@DMH will be the new CA. I believe he will do a great job at leading the AB and launching the new reset.

• Like 5

I'd like to thank DMH for his service but I've looked at the state of the game and while I think DMH is a great player and admin, I've decided we need new leadership for the game.

I've hired Ollie as CA for now. I understand he plans to have a discussion with the playerbase on how to move forward but I'll leave it up to him.

• Like 1

Hey guys. When @Ollie took over VGS, it was largely supposed to be a temporary measure. He works full time and has a family but he wanted to step in to correct the ship. I didn't expect him to try and save the reset but rather start over but I think his steps were the right ones in the end and the reset has managed to survive. But as I said, this was always supposed to be temporary. 

I think he's done a great job and something that was supposed to only last for a short period became a longer period than either of us were intending. We have thus begun the process of looking for a new, more permanent CA to take the position. Please submit an application as well as a list of at least two other people you'd think would make a good job as CA. You can also just send a list of at least three people if you don't want to apply. If you think people will be nominating you but you definitely don't want it, feel free to me let me know as well so I don't spend any time considering you.

Until we have a new CA, @Ollie will be staying on as CA. 

This was quick but I think we can all agree that there is one member of the AB that has excelled in his position. Welcome our new CA, @Reed 

Today during Main Chat, @MrAnderson threatened to kill the reset if we didn't ban a few members that he thought were playing the game in bad faith. He also launched personal insults against them. I believe any player, regardless of their previous position and any relationship they have with me, that threatens to kill the game or lead a walkout should not be held accountable for their actions. 

Taking into consideration that there's a five-day pause, I have decided to ban Anderson for two whole weeks. As he is President of the United States, I estimate that the 25th will be temporarily invoked to make @Ben Acting President when the game is unpaused. I will leave the AB to determine in the way they choose any IC ramifications of this but in no way should this suspension end any chance for Anderson to win re-election.

I also understand he is sick in real life and I do pray that he fully recovers. 

I have also taken efforts to investigate allegations Anderson has made towards some players. This investigation is on-going and may lead to repercussions against certain players.

By now I believe many of you have seen the report(s) by Ironsides on the mishandling of the election by the previous CA and a previous member of the AB. While I don't think the election was necessarily rigged, I am very concerned by the findings of the report. I do believe that they have also contributed to an extremely toxic atmosphere that has appeared on this site. I'm not going to blame Reed for helping out, he should have never been asked in the first place. 

This is hard. On the one hand, is incompetence by AB members a bannable offense? At the same time, we do need to hold members of the community accountable and to this point, they really haven't. Which has contributed significantly to the out of character problems that have formed including certain members of the GOP treating certain members of the DNC with a level of hostility that isn't healthy and vice versa. 

If VGS is to survive, people must let go of grudges and they must stop treating in-game actions so seriously. People should not be taking advantage of real-life sicknesses or problems for in-game advantages nor should they be using people's real-life information against them in telegram or on the forum. I'm aware that we formally separated telegram from forum rules but there is still an informal relationship between the two.

As a leader of this community, as owner, I sometimes have to make hard choices that often might not seem fair to one side or the other. I am left with a quandary here. On the one hand, Ollie and Storm mishandled a major in-game election and that has led to tensions and brought down the reset in many ways. On the other hand, few people already want to serve on the AB or be CA of a site where a significant portion of the player base seems to mistreat them. Banning people for incompetence on the AB might backfire in a way that discourages people from serving on an AB or becoming CA.

There is a serious problem with the community of this site and frankly, I think everyone is guilty on some level. I'm not entirely sure there is a real solution.

But based on the report, based on the fact that no rules were broken but that the reset was tainted to a point that has excaberated the toxic energy of VGS, I have decided some action is necessary.

After consulting with the AB, @Storm will be banned from serving on any AB and there will be a restriction from being able to play the game for one month, after which he will be on probation. @Ollie is banned for 7 days. Since he's currently serving a 3-day suspension, this means he will be unbanned in 4 days. @MrAnderson's ban will also be reduced from two weeks to just one week. 

I and Reed jointly decided this decision. We decided that for the sake of sparing the Administrative Board unnecessary wrath the Chief Administrator and Owner would decide this matter. 

First, we want to say that we understand that there is immense frustration over how the last reset ended and that people are upset over that. The AB was presented with a set of extremely challenging circumstance and tried to handle them the best way we could, bearing in mind we were dealing with former Administrators and Chief Administrators. We knew nobody would be happy with the outcome but I'm reasonably happy that we were able to reset without much incident and most people moved on. 

With respect to the player Anderson, we noticed a pattern of increasingly aggressive behavior and repeated statements that certain individuals were not welcome back in the community and he would go to lengths to ensure this. He believed this was done to him and he was responding in kind. Up to a few days ago, we hoped and believed he was blowing off steam. 

Yesterday and last night, however, in the Telegram chat, he referenced the situation and then referenced a personal detail about a player, calling them a "domestic abuser." This followed an incident a few weeks ago where he berated one player in private promising to "hunt them." We did not punish him for that to be clear. We knew people were being aggressive overall and we decided to extend a general amnesty. To date, everyone outside Anderson has chosen to let things go. But this pattern reiterates that Anderson is following through on his stated intents.

To forestall the arguments, Storm, Ollie, and Avner has not responded in kind with the intent to conduct a similar campaign against Anderson post reset. They have by and large not

exhibited the same public behavior as Anderson. I have personally warned Ollie as such and I extend that warning to Storm and Avner to not do that. When we punished Ollie for attacking a player's mental health we noted it was something Ollie had done twice and was not part of a sustained campaign against that player. Three days was sufficient for that. 

We know people can get heated. We know people can and do get into arguments and have lingering issues. We choose to let people work it out. But at this juncture, we believe Anderson has made clear his intentions to derail the playing experience of three individuals because he held them responsible for the last two months. He has stated as much and last night's behavior puts that into full relief.  And we believe this pattern of behavior will not stop without administrative intervention. We have asked him to stop and calmly avoid the people who bother him so much. That strategy has not worked. 

We understand being angry and frustrated. But we also believe that Anderson needs time away from the game and community to reflect that who he has become isn't the man who was Chief Administrator and had the respect of the game. We understand Anderson's anger but we strongly believe this anger has consumed his interaction with our community and if left unchecked will create larger problems. We want Anderson to reintegrate with the community and to move on from the current situation. This isn't a punishment as much as a desire for Anderson to calm down. 

With that in mind - and in the hopes, Anderson calms down and comes back - Anderson is given a full one month ban from the community at large. If this behavior continues, longer bans will be contemplated. We hope this isn't going to happen and Anderson again becomes a full and respected member of the community. We like Anderson and believe he needs time to recalibrate. 

As an addendum, Storm's in-game ban, likewise, is upheld by the Chief Administrator, and will not be reduced. That said he may, conditionally on good behavior, participate in the telegram chat. As much as possible, we don't want to drive people away from the community and we want everyone to get along or reasonably tolerate each other. This means as much as possible, our strategies focus on integration and minimizing exclusion. 

We believe the issues of the last reset should stay there. The past is the past and this is a game. And we are a community. And the AB will strive to maintain that. 

Thank you,

Cyril and Reed

• Like 2

I 'd like to thank @Reed for his service. I think he did a wonderful job and we're going to miss him. Good luck on your LSATs dude! 

@TexAgRepublican will be taking over as CA starting March 1st.

• Like 6

Now that the new CA is out of the way, I'm happy to introduce a new system for discipline when it comes to mostly OOC issues.

We will be implementing a new warning point system starting March 1st that will hopefully create more transparency about what is allowed, what isn't allowed, and the punishments one will get.

Everybody's going to start with Zero. If a member has points from before, please PM me so that I can reset it to 0.

1 Points

1) Violating the Telegram main chat rules

2) Violating OOC civility standards on the forums

2 Points

1) Getting muted on Telegram on the VGS Main Chat

2) A serious violation of OOC civility standards on the forums

3) Spamming the telegram chat

3 Points

1) Threatening to ruin the reset or kill the game

2) Using RL information against a user including taking advantage of LoAs

3) Abusive behavior towards members of the AB

Once a user reaches 10 points, there is an automatic suspension from the site and the chat. The length of the suspension will depend on previous forum punishments. 

Points will expire one month from when they are given.

This will be the automatic suspension length unless the AB votes to increase the suspension length in the order that suspensions will be given:

1) 48 Hours

2) One Week

3) One Month

4) Three Months

5) Six Months

6) One Year

7) Permaban

Creating a double account to get around a ban will lead to an instant permaban on all accounts.

As many of you know, forums and especially forum games have been on decline as people have moved on to different social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and reddit. In order for VGS to survive, @TexAgRepublican and I are proud to announce we will be shutting this forum down. 

Instead, we will be utilizing Skype. With Skype we can have live in-person Senate debates, speeches, and public relations. Players will be able to, using Google Docs, schedule stuff based on the real-life schedules of the AB.

We will also be implementing a point system. The player with the most points will win a $50 giftcard to Ross Dress for Less. You get points by passing major bills: extra points for bipartisan bills and for becoming President. Can you be the most effective politician? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, Cyril said:

As many of you know, forums and especially forum games have been on decline as people have moved on to different social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and reddit. In order for VGS to survive, @TexAgRepublican and I are proud to announce we will be shutting this forum down. 

Instead, we will be utilizing Skype. With Skype we can have live in-person Senate debates, speeches, and public relations. Players will be able to, using Google Docs, schedule stuff based on the real-life schedules of the AB.

We will also be implementing a point system. The player with the most points will win a $50 giftcard to Ross Dress for Less. You get points by passing major bills: extra points for bipartisan bills and for becoming President. Can you be the most effective politician? 

This was an April Fools joke. I apologize for those who got all excited for the gift card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8